SteelwoodRadio

No Redshirt for Kerkvliet

Seems like a waste for him not to take a red shirt.  An additional year in the room, time in the weight program, and extra time for his knee to heal up cold only benefit the team long term.  its not like tosu is going to contend for a title this year.   

Don’t forget Parris. The guy came to Michigan not necessarily a tremendously skilled wrestler but a great athlete with some good skill. One year with Bormet and he is a junior world champ (without hardly any FS chops in HS). His curve is tremendous. I wouldn’t sleep on him. 

Did anyone catch the "picture day" tOSU thing they had on their social media?  Kerk looks "large"... but in a very ripped and cut kind of way.

He looked lankier before.  If he puts on actual Snyderman level muscle... oh boy...

This seems like an inexplicably reckless and stupid decision. So let me get this straight...he’s choosing to wrestle heavyweight in the B10 without an ACL despite the following facts:

1) he’s got a redshirt available to take

2) his team isn’t contending this year

3) his team has another elite young guy at the same weight they can roll out

4) he could use another year to physically mature and grow into heavyweight (unless he’s planning on staying within striking distance of 97kg)...which I’d doubt because of the tOSU/Snyder factor. 

I’ve competed (very briefly) without an ACL and know the risk. Insane to me that tOSU would allow a lanky freshman heavyweight to compete with a torn ACL. One low single from Gable or one mat return from Cassioppi could cause nerve damage and end his career. 

19 minutes ago, MDogg said:

This seems like an inexplicably reckless and stupid decision. So let me get this straight...he’s choosing to wrestle heavyweight in the B10 without an ACL despite the following facts:

4) he could use another year to physically mature and grow into heavyweight (unless he’s planning on staying within striking distance of 97kg)...which I’d doubt because of the tOSU/Snyder factor. 

I’ve competed (very briefly) without an ACL and know the risk. Insane to me that tOSU would allow a lanky freshman heavyweight to compete with a torn ACL. One low single from Gable or one mat return from Cassioppi could cause nerve damage and end his career. 

Being a huge fan of his has me this same way.

I am thinking that the severity of injury may have been exaggerated and assumed to be quite bad this go around or there is just something we're missing here.

5 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Being a huge fan of his has me this same way.

I am thinking that the severity of injury may have been exaggerated and assumed to be quite bad this go around or there is just something we're missing here.

In the interview he says it got “completely torn” again this spring after he had surgery last fall to get it fixed the first time. So he completely tore his ACL in the same knee twice in a 7 month span. Not good.

I’m guessing he’s going all in on trying to make the 2020 Olympic team and plans on getting it fixed after the trials (or games) wrap up. Either that or he knows his knee won’t hold up forever so why spend a year practicing but not competing? Especially when both times he tore his ACL last year was during practice...

Edited by MDogg

This is going to be an exciting year for the big boys. My instinct is that Gable runs away with it. That last year he was adjusting and that’s behind him. But Kerk is such a great athlete and gave Gable all he could handle a few years back. 

15 hours ago, MDogg said:

I hear you. I do think Kerklevit decided, with his doctor, not to ever repair it. This isn’t a “we should delay the surgery for a year” situation. Remember he did win U23 trials since then. 

I’m not a doctor and on the surface it seems insane to me, but there have been successful wrestlers who don’t have ACLs. 

Assuming the doctors are cool with this, I think it makes sense for him to go for the lineup if that is what he wants. TOSU tends to allow their wrestlers to choose if they want to challenge for the spot, with some exceptions. I bet the coaches know what would be best lineup wise. 

Also for those writing off tOSU in 2020, I think you are going to be surprised. They do need some recruits to pan out, but barring injury they should have 10 qualifiers, AAs at 133, 141, 149, and 197, r12/AA at 125, 174, and 285, plus they have a shot at the other 3 weights (although 157 might be wishful thinking)

4-8 AAs with 2-3 finalist contenders ranges from around 5th-1st most years. 

I think they make the podium but don’t win it. Maybe 3rd? 

39 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

This is going to be an exciting year for the big boys. My instinct is that Gable runs away with it. That last year he was adjusting and that’s behind him. But Kerk is such a great athlete and gave Gable all he could handle a few years back. 

They are friends and have trained together. I think it is pretty clear Gable is a better talent, but Kerklevit will be a 4 time AA and a finalist at lest once imo, barring injury 

34 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

They are friends and have trained together. I think it is pretty clear Gable is a better talent, but Kerklevit will be a 4 time AA and a finalist at lest once imo, barring injury 

A much smaller Kerk gave Gable all he could handle in a 3-2 match two years ago.  You really believe Gable has improved that much more than Kerk?  Are you saying a larger Kerk is a worse Kerk?

Honestly I want to see where Gable is in state of mind before I have a lot of faith in a big uptrend for him. Felt during last year it wasn’t where it needed to be. Not going to speculate on what did or didn’t happen in off-season, but at the least it’s not a positive indication. Paris, Kerk, even Cassar, still have big uptrends. Honestly I don’t see where Gable has had a big improvement since his junior gold. He’s got results that look good on the senior level, but we knew he was already at that level. Has he gone up much??

51 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

A much smaller Kerk gave Gable all he could handle in a 3-2 match two years ago.  You really believe Gable has improved that much more than Kerk?  Are you saying a larger Kerk is a worse Kerk?

No. They are familiar with each other and Kerk’s Style is a good one to slow down Gable. 

The transitive property doesn’t apply to combat sports (or lost sports). Styles make fights/matches. Kerk is elite and has a style to shut down Gable. 

Gable is generational, but is vulnerable to Kerk’s style when implemented by another super high level guy. 

I think Kerk always gives him trouble but will never replicate his success. 

I’m a tOSU supporter so I’m rooting for Kerk but this is how I see it if I’m being honest

41 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Honestly I want to see where Gable is in state of mind before I have a lot of faith in a big uptrend for him. Felt during last year it wasn’t where it needed to be. Not going to speculate on what did or didn’t happen in off-season, but at the least it’s not a positive indication. Paris, Kerk, even Cassar, still have big uptrends. Honestly I don’t see where Gable has had a big improvement since his junior gold. He’s got results that look good on the senior level, but we knew he was already at that level. Has he gone up much??

He went from getting his butt kicked by Coon to smashing him. There are a few other examples of him beating guys who beat him before, but this was the most dramatic

54 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I've thought a lot about this match and I keep wondering if Gable did just enough to win in an effort to help his friend look a bit better.  I'm not saying Kerk is a slouch by any means, only that I wouldn't be surprised if Gable and Kerk worked together in that match.  Maybe I'm wrong and Gable typically does just enough to win and then cruises the rest of the match.