Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Cornell and Mike Grey and Kyle Dake

On 9/25/2019 at 11:43 PM, NJDan said:

Cornell has promoted Grey to Associate Head Coach, which was  Damian Hahn's title, I believe.

But if Koll decides to retire, isn't the obvious move to hire Dake (assuming he wants the job). Regardless of who would be a better coach, Dake with his success, fame and charisma would be a far stronger recruiter. And in coaching, recruiting is everything.

Gray has direct ties to Blair not sure how much better for recruiting its gets than that

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Yea I agree I never thought of him as charismatic either , personally him and Taylor always have come across as whiny , not saying he won’t be a good a coach one day , but in my opinion I think grey is the next coach. Just because he didn’t have the same college success as dake doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be  better coach.Anyone whose ever been around grey will tell you he’s one of ,if not the best wrestling minds in the sport , and from personal experience many years ago I know he’s very good at explaining and breaking things down from a coaching standpoint and he’s been Koll shadow for a few years  tackling the whole CEO aspect of the job either way when koll goes I don’t think Cornell will miss beat

Whiny could actually be a trait of many DI head coaches that I see!

2 hours ago, MDogg said:

I can’t say I know what his specific plans are, but this whole discussion is predicated on him going into coaching...because if he doesn’t then our talk of him being an assistant vs head coach is moot. 

I agree that he’d be a huge draw as an assistant who runs the room...I just doubt he’d settle for having Mike Grey (or anyone else) be his boss for anything other than a short transition period once he’s done competing. 

I’m not saying he’ll be a HC somewhere else the year after he retires. I’d expect him to be selective and it could take some time before a job opens up that he’s interested in.

My guess is that neither Cornell nor Dake know the timeframe for when he’s going to stop competing. I’m of the opinion that Dake will compete through 2024 if he doesn’t get his Olympic gold in Tokyo. I don’t think he keeps competing after Tokyo if he comes home with gold.

HOWEVER I do recognize that very, very, very few people walk away from wrestling when they’re on a 3 year world/Olympic championship streak. It’ll probably be awfully tempting for him to look at giving it another quad and potentially going out as a 7x consecutive world champ (including 2 Olympic golds) on top of his 4 NCAA titles. The conversation about Dake would shift from where does he rank amongst the all time US greats to where does he rank amongst the all time world greats.

Solid 

To follow up on the Blair comment, Grey also was coached by Buxton who  wasn't an elite wrestler himself, seems to be doing pretty well for himself coaching guys at the international level.  I see him in quite a few corners although I am not sure what his current coaching position is.

38 minutes ago, pennsyrules said:

To follow up on the Blair comment, Grey also was coached by Buxton who  wasn't an elite wrestler himself, seems to be doing pretty well for himself coaching guys at the international level.  I see him in quite a few corners although I am not sure what his current coaching position is.

Buxton was at the Lehigh rtc I believe for awhile and pretty sure he’s got his own club in north jersey last I heard with some top level guys coaching there.

7 hours ago, IronChef said:

I have never seen anything from Dake to suggest he is particularly charismatic. I'm curious what those saying he is are basing their opinion on.

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. But at any wrestling event, kids flock to him. He speaks well, even if he has some nutty ideas. Grey is kind of dull.

5 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

Gray has direct ties to Blair not sure how much better for recruiting its gets than that

Grey did not go to Blair. His brother did. I guess he has ties to Blair, but so do a lot of guys. I think if Dake went to recruit a Blair kid, the kid would listen.

Edited by NJDan

23 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Grey did not go to Blair. His brother did. I guess he has ties to Blair, but so do a lot of guys. I think if Dake went to recruit a Blair kid, the kid would listen.

Grey went to Delbarton, not Blair; that said, he's got pretty good ties to New Jersey all around.

If Koll was going to pick a Jersey guy, I'm just glad it was Grey, and not NJ Dan! :-P

If Dake can pull off an olympic gold next year, Koll has to step down or lose Dake to a big program (despite Dake never leaving Ithaca).

If Grey wants to stick around, he will still be the associate head coach.

7 hours ago, Boompa said:

If Dake can pull off an olympic gold next year, Koll has to step down or lose Dake to a big program (despite Dake never leaving Ithaca).

If Grey wants to stick around, he will still be the associate head coach.

Numerous ncaa champs have directly credited grey with there success including yianni I know everyone loves dake but I’ve never heard anything about him from a coaching standpoint. I’ve heard grey is one of the top asst. in the country going on several years now, I don’t think it’s cut and dry you ditch grey just like that no matter Dake does or not