How much of an advantage does Cox's natural profuse perspiration provide?  No doubt he has great defensive technique but I can't help but wonder if his 0 takedowns given up streak is due in a large part to the fact that his opponent's simply can't get a grip on him.  30 seconds into each match it looks like he's covered himself in astroglide. 

I remember laughing as he moonwalked across the mat on his knees due to the literal pool of sweat under him in the match versus DT.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

How much of an advantage does Cox's natural profuse perspiration provide?  No doubt he has great defensive technique but I can't help but wonder if his 0 takedowns given up streak is due in a large part to the fact that his opponent's simply can't get a grip on him.  30 seconds into each match it looks like he's covered himself in astroglide. 
I remember laughing as he moonwalked across the mat on his knees due to the literal pool of sweat under him in the match versus DT.
Never ceases to amaze me

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Isn't it amazing how his sweat is only slippery for his opponent?

As long as he's frequently wiped down, I doubt it's much of an advantage, if any at all.

That said, I do remember DT complaining about it during the 2017 WTT finals, and he's not one to complain frivolously.  Was Cox not wiped down frequently enough that match?

52 minutes ago, whaletail said:

As long as he's frequently wiped down, I doubt it's much of an advantage, if any at all.

That said, I do remember DT complaining about it during the 2017 WTT finals, and he's not one to complain frivolously.  Was Cox not wiped down frequently enough that match?

I believe wrestlers are wiped down only at the break, regardless or how much they sweat. Remember the OT match between Dake and the guy from Wisconsin (forgot his name). They were  both drenched; neither  was wiped down.

I believe wrestlers are wiped down only at the break, regardless or how much they sweat. Remember the OT match between Dake and the guy from Wisconsin (forgot his name). They were  both drenched; neither  was wiped down.

Andrew Howe

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

I guess I just assumed you could request your opponent be wiped down if it became an issue, but I can see it being abused.

I dont think this can be right? He is older than Dake, finished his career at OU/174.  I confess I can't remember any other Badger AA from 141-165  during that time.

Howe and Dake had several epic battles early in Dake's freestyle career.

Howe even beat Dake once.

20 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I dont think this can be right? He is older than Dake, finished his career at OU/174.  I confess I can't remember any other Badger AA from 141-165  during that time.

Howe and Dake wrestled at least twice, despite their age difference. The sweaty OT match was  at the OTT, IIRC. Dake won.

On 9/28/2019 at 6:50 AM, cjc007 said:

Howe and Dake had several epic battles early in Dake's freestyle career.

Howe even beat Dake once.

I think the time Howe beat Dake, Dake was a  149 pounder, but wrestled  74K for freestyle. The sweat match was, of course, razor close. Of course, Howe was one of the best in world at one time himself, according to JB.

On 9/29/2019 at 9:51 AM, GockeS said:

never seen cox have trouble with slipping like  the NYC burroughs/chamizo match

Was the NYC match on the aircraft carrier?  I think in the matches that have been on the aircraft carries in NY and San Diego has problems with moisture on the mats that were not perspiration related.

Believe it or not,  a wrestler who sweats profusely has a huge advantage.  I help coach and am in still really good shape.  I wrestle many matches on a weekly basis during live goes and I hate wrestling really sweaty, slippery guys.  (I know sometimes it comes with the workout.  Just saying....)

If you can't get a good grip on your opponent due to the fact that he is slippery as an eel from sweat, it is really difficult to maneuver him around the mat for takedowns.  You become much more defensive rather than offensively oriented.  Forget throws, arm drags, etc.  Your takedown arsenal gets much more narrowly confined to singles, low singles, and doubles from space. Maybe a duck under or spin behind.   If your opponent is larger than you it REALLY becomes an advantage to the larger opponent because they want you to shoot so they can use their greater weight on top of you to try and get a spin around.   I saw that last match between Taylor and Cox and I honestly thought Taylor got screwed in that match.  Why the officials did not insist that they towel off Cox (and the mat no less) was incredibly bad officiating.  The mat looked like an ice skating rink.  I totally understand why Cael lost it at the end. 

1 hour ago, gmdband said:

Believe it or not,  a wrestler who sweats profusely has a huge advantage.  I help coach and am in still really good shape.  I wrestle many matches on a weekly basis during live goes and I hate wrestling really sweaty, slippery guys.  (I know sometimes it comes with the workout.  Just saying....)

If you can't get a good grip on your opponent due to the fact that he is slippery as an eel from sweat, it is really difficult to maneuver him around the mat for takedowns.  You become much more defensive rather than offensively oriented.  Forget throws, arm drags, etc.  Your takedown arsenal gets much more narrowly confined to singles, low singles, and doubles from space. Maybe a duck under or spin behind.   If your opponent is larger than you it REALLY becomes an advantage to the larger opponent because they want you to shoot so they can use their greater weight on top of you to try and get a spin around.   I saw that last match between Taylor and Cox and I honestly thought Taylor got screwed in that match.  Why the officials did not insist that they towel off Cox (and the mat no less) was incredibly bad officiating.  The mat looked like an ice skating rink.  I totally understand why Cael lost it at the end. 

If sweating profusely is a huge advantage do you think Cox would be better served to go up to 97kg to maximize this advantage?  Presumably he would be better hydrated at that weight and able to sweat more and maximize his sweating advantage.

1 minute ago, Fishbane said:

If sweating profusely is a huge advantage do you think Cox would be better served to go up to 97kg to maximize this advantage?  Presumably he would be better hydrated at that weight and able to sweat more and maximize his sweating advantage.

In that case he should go 125 and hit a bbq joint ahead of the matches to get that meat sweat going too.