Jump to content

Recommended Posts

How much of an advantage does Cox's natural profuse perspiration provide?  No doubt he has great defensive technique but I can't help but wonder if his 0 takedowns given up streak is due in a large part to the fact that his opponent's simply can't get a grip on him.  30 seconds into each match it looks like he's covered himself in astroglide. 

I remember laughing as he moonwalked across the mat on his knees due to the literal pool of sweat under him in the match versus DT.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
How much of an advantage does Cox's natural profuse perspiration provide?  No doubt he has great defensive technique but I can't help but wonder if his 0 takedowns given up streak is due in a large part to the fact that his opponent's simply can't get a grip on him.  30 seconds into each match it looks like he's covered himself in astroglide. 
I remember laughing as he moonwalked across the mat on his knees due to the literal pool of sweat under him in the match versus DT.
Never ceases to amaze me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

How much of an advantage does Cox's natural profuse perspiration provide?  No doubt he has great defensive technique but I can't help but wonder if his 0 takedowns given up streak is due in a large part to the fact that his opponent's simply can't get a grip on him.  30 seconds into each match it looks like he's covered himself in astroglide. 

I remember laughing as he moonwalked across the mat on his knees due to the literal pool of sweat under him in the match versus DT.

Isn't it amazing how his sweat is only slippery for his opponent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as he's frequently wiped down, I doubt it's much of an advantage, if any at all.

That said, I do remember DT complaining about it during the 2017 WTT finals, and he's not one to complain frivolously.  Was Cox not wiped down frequently enough that match?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, whaletail said:

As long as he's frequently wiped down, I doubt it's much of an advantage, if any at all.

That said, I do remember DT complaining about it during the 2017 WTT finals, and he's not one to complain frivolously.  Was Cox not wiped down frequently enough that match?

I believe wrestlers are wiped down only at the break, regardless or how much they sweat. Remember the OT match between Dake and the guy from Wisconsin (forgot his name). They were  both drenched; neither  was wiped down.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I believe wrestlers are wiped down only at the break, regardless or how much they sweat. Remember the OT match between Dake and the guy from Wisconsin (forgot his name). They were  both drenched; neither  was wiped down.
 
Andrew Howe

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NJDan said:

I believe wrestlers are wiped down only at the break, regardless or how much they sweat. Remember the OT match between Dake and the guy from Wisconsin (forgot his name). They were  both drenched; neither  was wiped down.

 

I guess I just assumed you could request your opponent be wiped down if it became an issue, but I can see it being abused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I dont think this can be right? He is older than Dake, finished his career at OU/174.  I confess I can't remember any other Badger AA from 141-165  during that time.

Howe and Dake had several epic battles early in Dake's freestyle career.

 

Howe even beat Dake once.

 

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I dont think this can be right? He is older than Dake, finished his career at OU/174.  I confess I can't remember any other Badger AA from 141-165  during that time.

Howe and Dake wrestled at least twice, despite their age difference. The sweaty OT match was  at the OTT, IIRC. Dake won.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2019 at 6:50 AM, cjc007 said:

Howe and Dake had several epic battles early in Dake's freestyle career.

 

Howe even beat Dake once.

 

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

I think the time Howe beat Dake, Dake was a  149 pounder, but wrestled  74K for freestyle. The sweat match was, of course, razor close. Of course, Howe was one of the best in world at one time himself, according to JB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2019 at 9:51 AM, GockeS said:

never seen cox have trouble with slipping like  the NYC burroughs/chamizo match

Was the NYC match on the aircraft carrier?  I think in the matches that have been on the aircraft carries in NY and San Diego has problems with moisture on the mats that were not perspiration related.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Believe it or not,  a wrestler who sweats profusely has a huge advantage.  I help coach and am in still really good shape.  I wrestle many matches on a weekly basis during live goes and I hate wrestling really sweaty, slippery guys.  (I know sometimes it comes with the workout.  Just saying....)

If you can't get a good grip on your opponent due to the fact that he is slippery as an eel from sweat, it is really difficult to maneuver him around the mat for takedowns.  You become much more defensive rather than offensively oriented.  Forget throws, arm drags, etc.  Your takedown arsenal gets much more narrowly confined to singles, low singles, and doubles from space. Maybe a duck under or spin behind.   If your opponent is larger than you it REALLY becomes an advantage to the larger opponent because they want you to shoot so they can use their greater weight on top of you to try and get a spin around.   I saw that last match between Taylor and Cox and I honestly thought Taylor got screwed in that match.  Why the officials did not insist that they towel off Cox (and the mat no less) was incredibly bad officiating.  The mat looked like an ice skating rink.  I totally understand why Cael lost it at the end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gmdband said:

Believe it or not,  a wrestler who sweats profusely has a huge advantage.  I help coach and am in still really good shape.  I wrestle many matches on a weekly basis during live goes and I hate wrestling really sweaty, slippery guys.  (I know sometimes it comes with the workout.  Just saying....)

If you can't get a good grip on your opponent due to the fact that he is slippery as an eel from sweat, it is really difficult to maneuver him around the mat for takedowns.  You become much more defensive rather than offensively oriented.  Forget throws, arm drags, etc.  Your takedown arsenal gets much more narrowly confined to singles, low singles, and doubles from space. Maybe a duck under or spin behind.   If your opponent is larger than you it REALLY becomes an advantage to the larger opponent because they want you to shoot so they can use their greater weight on top of you to try and get a spin around.   I saw that last match between Taylor and Cox and I honestly thought Taylor got screwed in that match.  Why the officials did not insist that they towel off Cox (and the mat no less) was incredibly bad officiating.  The mat looked like an ice skating rink.  I totally understand why Cael lost it at the end. 

If sweating profusely is a huge advantage do you think Cox would be better served to go up to 97kg to maximize this advantage?  Presumably he would be better hydrated at that weight and able to sweat more and maximize his sweating advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fishbane said:

If sweating profusely is a huge advantage do you think Cox would be better served to go up to 97kg to maximize this advantage?  Presumably he would be better hydrated at that weight and able to sweat more and maximize his sweating advantage.

In that case he should go 125 and hit a bbq joint ahead of the matches to get that meat sweat going too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...