russelscout

Flo Wrestling is good/bad for wrestling

7 hours ago, tigerfan said:

You can postulate this because of...? Is it the garbage coverage they give the NCAA wrestling championships? While it is true that Carl was not the ONLY coach opposed to a Dual Team Championship, his voice was clearly the loudest.  As for Iowa/VT, that took place precisely BECAUSE what remained of the National Duals were largely meaningless since it wasn't the official team championship.  BTW, I'm not saying Flo is bad, I subscribe and appreciate their efforts.  In fact, ESPN probably never would have gotten interested in the first place without Flowrestling.  But they did, and when we had a chance to capitalize on that and move to the big leagues, Carl (and a few others) shot it down.  So now we remain with minor league operations like Flo and Track.  They do the best they can.  

The idea of replacing the crown jewel of our sport with the national duals idea of an NCAA Championship failed because it was dumb. A minority of coaches and fans are fixated on it, but the smart people convinced the majority to just say no to it.

If the idea was really good as you imply, then the majority would have adopted it. It failed on its own lack of worthiness. 

42 minutes ago, headshuck said:

TBar is a small thinker. S/he thinks we have but one jewel. More jewels is better. Maybe next time JRob and other big thinkers will name it the Rose Bowl of college wrestling.

J Rob did a little too much thinking. He made a bunch of non dense up about gate sharing, for one. The awful points carry over proposal. Then, who can forget his regrettable thinking around the Xanax scandal. That was a bridge too far and got him ousted. Think he was fired if he didn't resign first. 

Minnesota wrestling is better off today with Eggum. He is a good guy who I like and respect. 

Edited by TBar1977

J Rob did a little too much thinking. He made a bunch of non dense up about gate sharing, for one. The awful points carry over proposal. Then, who can forget his regrettable thinking around the Xanax scandal. That was a bridge too far and got him ousted. Think he was fired if he didn't resign first. 
Minnesota wrestling is better off today with Eggum. He is a good guy who I like and respect. 

^^^ sad

I think Flo used to be great for wrestling and I still think they’re good, but I don’t visit the site anymore.  I can’t see myself visiting again now that their rankings are behind the paywall.  I just get the Big Ten To Go option for wrestling season and cancel after Big Tens.  I really like their podcast, though!  

I had a Flo subscription but cancelled it after the PSU-OkSt debacle a few years ago.  I still hear a lot of complaints about their streaming so I’m gonna hold off on trying it again until I hear a lot more positive feedback and they offer the month-to-month option again.  I feel like most of us consumers aren’t big on being locked into contracts.  That’s a big reason I won’t go back to cable.  Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc. all have month-to-month options, so that’s what I use.  

Thats just my take.  

On 9/26/2019 at 2:56 PM, russelscout said:

Instead of other threads getting hi-jacked all the time, why don't we just keep the discussion in one thread.

I think Flo wrestling is good for wrestling. The first thing that is always up for debate here is whether or not flowrestling helps grow the sport. 

It does. Why? 

Consistency and accessibility. When I was growing up there was one way to watch wrestling. Iowa Public Television had a handful of Iowa matches every year. That was about it. There would be the occasional National duals match or National Finals, but not much else. Now I can watch every Big10 match and a handful of other programs live or days/months/years after the event. This is unprecedented for wrestling. I would never have dreamed 20 years ago that I would have this much access to wrestling. Not only that, but I have wrestling podcasts, news, recruiting, storylines produced daily whether is is written articles or in podcast form. It has allowed me to go beyond being a casual fan. I have yet to find another website that compares with the consistency  or mass of content produced.

Now could ESPN take over those matches? Absolutely they could and it would probably be cheaper too, but lets assume they were ever even interested, the moment that there was a conflict with ESPN's larger goals, wrestling would take a back seat. I don't see wrestling taking a back seat at flo and I am willing to pay so I don't have to deal with that threat.

I don't see why anyone has a problem with the payment model. 1. its actually affordable. 2. it makes sense to charge more monthly than annually. 3. There is enough demand to ask for as much as they do. It is the right to determine that cost, and I don't really see how that has hurt interest in the sport. Even without a flo account, I still have more access to wrestling content than I did 15 years ago.

agree with everything except espn. other than the NCAA's wrestling is already in the backseat...maybe even trunk.

and if espn had access to march madness, ncaa's wouldn't be on either...

On 9/26/2019 at 4:58 PM, MSU158 said:

FLO is good.  But, good is relative.  They are NOT ESPN.  In fact, they are much closer to "The Ocho".  The Ocho is better than nothing.  But, do you really want to be happy with "better than nothing"?

Now, I know that the sports they cover do not create the revenue, nor the fanbase to warrant major productions, top notch announcers/analysts or seamless coverage.  As a result, the quality that should be expected IS within the ballpark of what FLO provides.  However, that doesn't mean that the critiques shouldn't be voiced or should be ignored.

jon is admittedly a broken record and the way he goes about his message leaves a lot to be desired.  But, that doesn't mean a lot of what he says is incorrect.  It also doesn't help that some of the FLO guys come on here and argue when people complain.  It comes off like a "big fish in a little pond" mentality with a "how dare you question me" image.  

I like much of what FLO does.  Guys like Bader come off as truly genuine and much of his content is great.  The Techniques portion is TOP NOTCH.  Yet, there is MUCH that can be significantly improved or completely revamped.  This is especially true when it comes to purchasing options and I say that when I use it enough that I am fine with what I pay now.  But, the "die hard" is the only demographic the current system appeals to.  I just don't get why you wouldn't market certain duals or events and give them a "pay per view" option.  Do you really think you are going to lose the die hards that pay yearly?  Hell, if you did, I would bet many of them would possibly end up paying more buying multiple pay per views or whatever you decided for access to the technique portion.

I doubt guys like Willie will listen to this, but the "kill them with kindness" or "taking the high road" goes a lot further to caring about customer support does than getting into petty arguments on wrestling boards.  This comes from a guy that has had plenty of these petty arguments on wrestling boards, but I don't have a brand/image that I should be protecting...........

if flo weren't around... we would have nothing... but ncaa's from espn.

big does decent...but they too have caught the bball flu.

On 9/28/2019 at 4:51 AM, tigerfan said:

Lest we forget, ESPN expressed their desire to support and promote wrestling by advocating for a dual team championship several years ago.  Had that happened (thanks a lot Carl), who's to say how much their coverage and promotion of wrestling would have grown by now.  Unfortunately, Flo is what we were left with. Without looking, my guess is PSU fans will express unqualified support for Flo due to the uncomfortable reality that a better future with ESPN was shot down by their living god.

interesting point.

so you think that espn would cover some high profile duals if those duals had impact on the championships later?

maybe.

im not sure.

On 9/28/2019 at 8:40 AM, Antitroll2828 said:

Even if espn took wrestling it would be there 7 or 8th most important sport wrestling would get garbage coverage ,Flo is dedicated to 100 percent wrestling all the time, I don’t think the 2 are comparable , also hanging the whole national duals thing on Cael is a little disingenuous.obviously he made his opinions felt especially after Suriano broke his ankle in the “dual of the year” which wasn’t even close, but it was Iowa who refused to wrestle Virginia tech opening the flood gates, then after that other teams stated they wouldn’t wrestle certain teams. I think anyone whose a fan of a non major sport ( anything other then football baseball and basketball) would love to have a site and company so dedicated to the sport like Flo and there guys are for wrestling 

however, if espn were covering...would teams seek out the best? to get on espn?

maybe not, look at football ... they still show alabama vs lil sisters of the poor.. .but teams dont play each other

i could not believe that LSU and texas hadn't played in regular season since 1954

i mean they are fairly close to each other aren't they

23 hours ago, cjc007 said:

I'm thinking more on a global scale.

Do you think the Russians, Iranians, Japanese need their damn technique videos?

Who is delusional now, son?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

so you are being intentionally disingenuous and obtuse.

Edited by GockeS

21 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

A segment of coaches expressed that desire for a dual team championship. As you should know, the NCAA isn't going to allow two different versions of wrestling championships. So it's one or the other. 

ESPN airs the NCAA Championship as we know it. You act as if ESPN walked away from wrestling and all that remains is Flo. That is just not true. ESPN aired the NCAA Championship before that failed proposal and they air it today. 

if espn were giving the ncaa money... the ncaa would sanction it

18 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

The idea of replacing the crown jewel of our sport with the national duals idea of an NCAA Championship failed because it was dumb. A minority of coaches and fans are fixated on it, but the smart people convinced the majority to just say no to it.

If the idea was really good as you imply, then the majority would have adopted it. It failed on its own lack of worthiness. 

i agree. but if the money was there, the ncaa would do both.

just ask the Nebraska School Activ. Association

so you are being intentionally disingenuous and obtuse.
No. I just think flo wrestling is irrelevant to wrestling in general

I will not support they flo show.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, GockeS said:

if espn were giving the ncaa money... the ncaa would sanction it

7 hours ago, GockeS said:

i agree. but if the money was there, the ncaa would do both.

just ask the Nebraska School Activ. Association

So why isn' t the money there? It's not there because the NCAA won't sponsor two separate wrestling championships.

And no majority or even strong minority of coaches liked the bifurcated natty duals with points carried over to NCAA tournament format. That idea stunk on ice, no matter what these people who "just can't get over it" think. 

On 9/26/2019 at 2:57 PM, WillieBoy said:

Slow connections make for poor opportunities here.

Hope they improve and become more reliable. Shoe more professionalism in presentation. No excuse for third grade quality with the technology available now.

Unfortunately they still rely on the host site's internet to stream their events.  So, the speed of the internet is the fault of the host building.  The desire to use the host site's internet instead of investing in satellite internet trucks is Flo's fault.