russelscout

Flo Wrestling is good/bad for wrestling

On 9/29/2019 at 9:34 AM, LCpl Schmuckatelli said:

I think Flo used to be great for wrestling and I still think they’re good, but I don’t visit the site anymore.  I can’t see myself visiting again now that their rankings are behind the paywall.  I just get the Big Ten To Go option for wrestling season and cancel after Big Tens.  I really like their podcast, though!  

I had a Flo subscription but cancelled it after the PSU-OkSt debacle a few years ago.  I still hear a lot of complaints about their streaming so I’m gonna hold off on trying it again until I hear a lot more positive feedback and they offer the month-to-month option again.  I feel like most of us consumers aren’t big on being locked into contracts.  That’s a big reason I won’t go back to cable.  Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc. all have month-to-month options, so that’s what I use.  

Thats just my take.  

Ooh-Rah!!! Best screen name ever!

On 9/29/2019 at 7:38 PM, TBar1977 said:

So why isn' t the money there? It's not there because the NCAA won't sponsor two separate wrestling championships.

And no majority or even strong minority of coaches liked the bifurcated natty duals with points carried over to NCAA tournament format. That idea stunk on ice, no matter what these people who "just can't get over it" think. 

not sure. the money wasn't there for the NSAA either... at the beginning.. they were going to drop it after 3 year....but then it made money in year 4. and has every year since.

i also dont like carrying points over. there is no correlation.

just have two championships.

I was never a fan of the NSAA doing it, mostly b/c of how it was set up and the timing at the end of the year.

On 9/29/2019 at 6:48 PM, cjc007 said:

No. I just think flo wrestling is irrelevant to wrestling in general

I will not support they flo show.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

not sure how the most watched wrestling provider in the usa is irrelevant

to the world oldest and gratest sport.

and in every stabbin cabin in the world

I defend Flo in this thread, but they have some of the worst tech people on the planet working for them. 

If you are going to have a big graphic link to FRL headlining your home page then the video should actually play in an Explorer browser. This morning it doesn't. Also, there is simply no sense in having a "watch replay" link to an event, WNO, that has yet to happen. Sheesh. 

not sure how the most watched wrestling provider in the usa is irrelevant
to the world oldest and gratest sport.
and in every stabbin cabin in the world
Morons like listening to other morons I reckon.

Kinda like this forum. It's called the "cesspool" for a reason.

44 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Pull it up live on youtube. Ive never had problems with that.

That worked. Maybe they should put a second link on their home page, this one to the youtube channel version of the show. Maybe put a disclaimer on that reads something like "Our link might not work, but you tube has great tech and you can at least watch our content there".  

7 hours ago, cjc007 said:

Morons like listening to other morons I reckon.

Kinda like this forum. It's called the "cesspool" for a reason.

well, you aren't listening to them, so your posit is false. 

45 minutes ago, randyfoxwell said:

I would much rather spend money on a subscription to HBO, Netflix, Amazon prime, or any other source that I can use all year around as opposed to a wrestling season that just a few months out of the year. I'll probably just continue to catch whatever matches espn covers and big ten network

If you ever do get flo, check out some of the other documentaries on their other sites. I just randomly watched one about Maddie Rogers who is an Olympic Weightlifter the other day. It was very good and very well made.

I was a flo subscriber 5 years ago, I cancelled when the 150$ one time payment thing started.  For me I'm only a wrestling fan from Nov-March. So that model doesn't work for me and in March Big 10's and NCAA are on BTN and Espn. 

I am a major program season ticket holder so i get to see 5-7 matches a year in person plus catch what i can on Big 10 Network.

Genius hack of the day

If you don't want to do the one year thing you can subscribe to one of their other platforms monthly and get access to the wrestling platform.

Tomorrow's genius hack will be telling you how UWW's random number generator is flawed.

I love Flo.....not always perfect.....but a lot of positives....great for our sport......been to 41 NCAA'a/35 in a row (not counting 2020....already have my room, tickets, plane fair), 26 BIG TEN's, 17 World Cups and many other major wrestling events, even the 1971 USA-USSR dual in McGaw Hall, and I still have to have my Flo.

I've subscribed since the beginning.   It is year round to the avid fan.  There's endless technique for coaches and athletes.  

Flo has transformed the sport whether you like it or not.  I don't like all the characters necessarily but for the most part they are great.  They've made some odd decisions along the way, the LIMarty thing being the worst for sure, but overall they've taken their product to higher levels each year.  

20 hours ago, BobDole said:

Genius hack of the day

If you don't want to do the one year thing you can subscribe to one of their other platforms monthly and get access to the wrestling platform.

Tomorrow's genius hack will be telling you how UWW's random number generator is flawed.

Does anyone else think it's dumb that you need to sign in before even seeing the official pricing?

It's still $30/month for the monthly option though so even for most of the wrestling season you're looking at $120 anyway.   At that point you're likely better off going for the yearly.

Actually, I checked a few and apparently FloFootball is $20 for some reason.   Note FloGrappling also has no monthly option (which I guess is proof of grappling's popularity?)

BTW, note to Flo guys, when you use the "continue with Facebook" option, it still has the old logo.  

Edited by 1032004

Pros:

-Documentary's are as good as 30 for 30.

-Terrific event coverage.

-Technique library.

-Enjoy some of the personalities (Bader, MikeMal)

-No where else to get what they give.

Cons:

-Horrible streaming.  The kicker is they are aware and havent fixed the problem.  I remember when they got the $27mm "investment" (I assume it was private equity), I thought they would pour that into tech...apparently they poured that into a branding consultant.

-Bad customer service.

Yes, I have an annual membership and will keep it for as long as I can imagine.  They certainly grow the sport.  

Now, when can we start the trackwrestling thread?  That may be the worst organization/service on earth.