russelscout

Flo Wrestling is good/bad for wrestling

17 minutes ago, swing said:

Now, when can we start the trackwrestling thread?  That may be the worst organization/service on earth.  

My main problem with them is when I am following a tourney on the dashboard and a damn advertisement pops up every 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, swing said:

-Horrible streaming.  The kicker is they are aware and havent fixed the problem.  I remember when they got the $27mm "investment" (I assume it was private equity), I thought they would pour that into tech...apparently they poured that into a branding consultant.

The streaming issues have a lot of variables to the host site's internet speed to your at home internet speed and everything in between. Things as simple as someone tripping over a plug can cause a mass event outage. Being at so many vastly different venues so often poses issues when trying to troubleshoot and configure things so it best suits a venue.

From a few weeks ago there's a thoughtful post that calls out Flo's lack of investment in infrastructure/technology. Perhaps even in this thread!

Being at so many vastly different venues so often ought to motivate the use of good infrastructure, proper technology, robust workflows, fewer excuses.

Edited by jon

On 10/16/2019 at 6:53 AM, randyfoxwell said:

I would much rather spend money on a subscription to HBO, Netflix, Amazon prime, or any other source that I can use all year around as opposed to a wrestling season that just a few months out of the year. I'll probably just continue to catch whatever matches espn covers and big ten network

actually, i have watched more wrestling in the last year on flo... year 'round as they say... then ever before.

biG carries much less than when they started... they caught the bball flu

and espn only covers nationals

On 10/16/2019 at 7:54 AM, unknown said:

I was a flo subscriber 5 years ago, I cancelled when the 150$ one time payment thing started.  For me I'm only a wrestling fan from Nov-March. So that model doesn't work for me and in March Big 10's and NCAA are on BTN and Espn. 

I am a major program season ticket holder so i get to see 5-7 matches a year in person plus catch what i can on Big 10 Network.

so you are saying you want year round service, but aren't a year round fan? 

lol

how can one only be a fan 5 months of the year.

20 minutes ago, GockeS said:

This remark goes to the heart of almost every discussion about Flo.

N.B. My quoting here is not tantamount to endorsement/agreement.

Edited by jon

37 minutes ago, GockeS said:

lol

The post to which you've replied talks about month-to-month purchase not about year-round service.

My interpretation of the post written by @unknown: "I like wrestling and I like Flo but if the only decent pricing option is $150 yearly (as opposed to month-to-month pricing) then no thanks."

Lots of streaming products with flexible pricing! Why does Flo get a pass?

Edited by jon

43 minutes ago, GockeS said:

lol

Where did they say they wanted year-round service?   I think they're saying just the opposite.   They only want "service" for 5 months of the year.

Your last sentence is pretty dumb.   If that poster is primarily a college wrestling fan, that's when the season is.   For example I'm pretty sure you are only charged for NFL RedZone during the season.   The main difference with Flo is that yes they have other content besides matches.    So the question basically comes down to how much value do people find in that content for the remaining months of the year.   And for people that are primarily NCAA fans, it may not be much.

perhaps no competition is the reason ...

i must admit, i think i replied to two different posters with my statement... 'you wan't year round... '

but either way...

i felt the same way. im not paying for it.

but after i did... i watched more than i ever had... and not just nov-march.

beggars can't be choosers.

you either want wrestling exposure or you dont.

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Where did they say they wanted year-round service?   I think they're saying just the opposite.   They only want "service" for 5 months of the year.

Your last sentence is pretty dumb.   If that poster is primarily a college wrestling fan, that's when the season is.   For example I'm pretty sure you are only charged for NFL RedZone during the season.   The main difference with Flo is that yes they have other content besides matches.    So the question basically comes down to how much value do people find in that content for the remaining months of the year.   And for people that are primarily NCAA fans, it may not be much.

the thread is about growing wrestling.

so no, my sentence isn't dumb. 

we wonder why we can't grow wrestling.

now, i must admit, i did reply to more than one poster... as i stated above.

so tell me, does NFL play games in the 'offseason'?  because there is plenty of wrestling that took place between march and november. in fact, i would bet I  watched more in that span than the college season.

i do agree with people not wanting to pay, i was not willing to do it for many years... but have not regretted the spending one bit.

but as far as growing wrestling.. i dont know why they people are griping about flo. pay or dont. but they are getting the sport more exposure.

but if you dont pay then you dont get to gripe.

Edited by GockeS

Nobody a beggar. Everybody a chooser. Now the goalpost goes to """exposure"""? Flo critique not just a bunch of gripes.

Ya don’t have to be a subscriber to see that yearlong lock-in bad for growth and that SH_LLOW, AMA_EURISH aspects of Flo social media perhaps not a good kind of exposure.

On most any social-media platform, Jordan Burroughs has more followers than does Flo!

Edited by jon

do you suppose mahomes has more followers than nfl network? cbs? fox? combined?

any press is good press. isn't that the old saying.

how would one grow without exposure? 

and really... aren't we all on here begging for more coverage? more wrestling... 

so yeah. keep on keepin on 

Edited by GockeS

1 hour ago, GockeS said:

the thread is about growing wrestling.

so no, my sentence isn't dumb. 

we wonder why we can't grow wrestling.

now, i must admit, i did reply to more than one poster... as i stated above.

so tell me, does NFL play games in the 'offseason'?  because there is plenty of wrestling that took place between march and november. in fact, i would bet I  watched more in that span than the college season.

i do agree with people not wanting to pay, i was not willing to do it for many years... but have not regretted the spending one bit.

but as far as growing wrestling.. i dont know why they people are griping about flo. pay or dont. but they are getting the sport more exposure.

but if you dont pay then you dont get to gripe.

But isn't the argument that wrestling needs more "fans"?  Someone that already watches NCAA wrestling is already a fan.   IMO, wrestling can be "grown" more by getting people that aren't currently watching really any NCAA wrestling to instead watch some, than by getting people that already watch NCAA to watch international styles.   

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

The main difference with Flo is that yes they have other content besides matches.    So the question basically comes down to how much value do people find in that content for the remaining months of the year.   And for people that are primarily NCAA fans, it may not be much.

This a thing I totally don't understand. Flo films, technique library are excellent. With such good 'boutique' content I wonder why pricing inflexible. It's not as if Flo's got nothing to offer a month-to-month subscriber. My only guess: If a customer decides the bad stuff (e.g., grating personalities) outweighs the good stuff (e.g., FloFilms) then, for that customer, the product just ain't worth it?

Does pricing differ from one FloSports site to another -- i.e., wrestling, marching, etc.?

Edited by jon

6 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I am not sure that is the attitude I want from the people who are responsible for streaming most of our major wrestling events outside of nattys.

Wow. Between this remark and the 'just wait 'til Willie hits ketosis' joke, @russelscout on fire this week!

Words quoted here very much on point!

Edited by jon

43 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

But isn't the argument that wrestling needs more "fans"?  Someone that already watches NCAA wrestling is already a fan.   IMO, wrestling can be "grown" more by getting people that aren't currently watching really any NCAA wrestling to instead watch some, than by getting people that already watch NCAA to watch international styles.   

so you dont think by getting fans to watch international styles would be getting more fans?

why do you limit it to only getting more people to watch college?

if you talk about wrestling year round.. into both styles... dont you think you might have a chance to expose more people to wrestling?

16 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Several other sports are starting to figure this out too. Just search Flosports on reddit and see all the posts dedicated to them.

not sure what you mean... they just out to make money?...

other sports are beginning to see the limitations we are? 

1 minute ago, GockeS said:

why do you limit it to only getting more people to watch college?

This a fair point. But nobody who talks about Grow Wrestling means this kind of growth.

My opinion: Flo does have potential to turn MFS fans into WFS fans. Readers agree?

8 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Yeah, the whole, we see its a problem, but its not a priority attitude really does bother me. I can't seem to get that one out of my head.

money is their aim. like any business.

could they make more? probably.

do they have the capability with what they have to make it less inconvenient... i dont know.

this is why it took me 10 years to get a sub.  i didn't want something that wasn't going to work.

I have had zero problems thus far.

31 minutes ago, jon said:

This a thing I totally don't understand. Flo films, technique library are excellent. With such good 'boutique' content I wonder why pricing inflexible. It's not as if Flo's got nothing to offer a month-to-month subscriber. My only guess: If a customer decides the bad stuff (e.g., grating personalities) outweighs the good stuff (e.g., FloFilms) then, for that customer, the product just ain't worth it?

Does pricing differ from one FloSports site to another -- i.e., wrestling, marching, etc.?

I checked a few yesterday. They're all the same yearly price.   Grappling was the only other one I saw that did not offer a monthly option - most of those that did were $30 except for Football which was $20 for some reason.  I don't know if you can subscribe to football and get everything else though as there is some fine print saying "some discounted subscriptions do not give access to all content" or something, although it doesn't say anywhere that the $20 for football is discounted.