russelscout

Flo Wrestling is good/bad for wrestling

6 minutes ago, jon said:

This a fair point. But nobody who talks about Grow Wrestling means this kind of growth.

My opinion: Flo does have potential to turn MFS fans into WFS fans. Readers agree?

i bet the people at USA wrestling mean that kind of growth.

9 minutes ago, GockeS said:

so you dont think by getting fans to watch international styles would be getting more fans?

if you talk about wrestling year round.. into both styles... dont you think you might have a chance to expose more people to wrestling?

Um, no.   Sure getting existing fans to watch more is great, but that's not "more people;" they're already "exposed," just exposed to less.   

Growth + exposure are not mutually exclusive. Flexible pricing serves both of those interests.

These days, in streaming, flexible pricing the norm not the exception.

USAW may well be focused on exposure (not growth) but the decision to allow Flo lock-in to come between fans + live viewing seems awfully shortsighted!

Edited by jon

10 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Um, no.   Sure getting existing fans to watch more is great, but that's not "more people;" they're already "exposed," just exposed to less.   

there used to be an admin that talked about jobs that were saved or created...

is this like saving fans?

keeping them... 

if you talked about wrestling year round... might you expose more people around you to wrestling? 

2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

They just flopped on a deal with DC united. The team ended their relationship before the season even ended.

That were just some that popped up. Im sure you will be able find plenty more. Then there is this link to all the complaints with the better business bureau: https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/austin/profile/digital-media/flosports-inc-0825-1000108975/complaints

wow. so maybe they dont have the capability.

10 minutes ago, GockeS said:

wow. so maybe they dont have the capability.

Yup. So """maybe""" they're not yet fit for airing live events, namely non-Flo events (e.g., USAW stuff) and especially ones of local interest (e.g., Pennsylvania championships).

As we see on this page of the thread, FloSports has got a spotty record. Suppose you're a prospective customer. Suppose you're thinking about subscribing and so you 'do your homework' -- you look for reviews of the product. You see complaints and critique. Seems to me yearlong lock-in would become less palatable. Flexible pricing goes a long way to offset the spotty record that FloSports does have.

Edited by jon

i would say they are fit. I have never had a problem.

every event i wanted to see was wonderful.

so they are 'fit'.

i have never actually watched a strictly 'flo' event. like wno or flonationals. so is that different?

i do know i wouldn't have been able to see the final x (except lincoln) or any international tournament.

13 minutes ago, jon said:

As we see on this page of the thread, FloSports has got a spotty record. Suppose you're a prospective customer. Suppose you're thinking about subscribing and so you 'do your homework' -- you look for reviews of the product. You see complaints and critique. Seems to me yearlong lock-in would become less palatable. Flexible pricing goes a long way to offset the spotty record that FloSports does have.

you obviously dont read my posts. i said this in at least 2 posts in this thread. 

i was skeptical b/c i heard all the bad stuff. but took the chance.

Edited by GockeS

until someone (maybe track?, but many of you hate them too) comes along to compete...

it's what we have.

BiG isn't going to air more.

ESPN isn't going to air more... college... and NO freestyle.

Hell NBC barely shows any olympic wrestling during the olympics

the olympic channel 389 on dish is the best, but im getting rid of dish.. hopefully hulu carries Oly channel.

I see the whole saving money thing as you might note from me switching from dish to hulu... but for wrestling coverage at this point flo is the best.

I am displeased, and reminded just now watching a video on FloGrappling, that I have to sit through a commercial before I can watch the video.  Didn't I pay for this service?  Why should I have to watch a commercial to see content.  The numerous Rocket Mortgage commercials during Beat the Streets were so annoying.

5 hours ago, GockeS said:

until someone (maybe track?, but many of you hate them too) comes along to compete...

it's what we have.

BiG isn't going to air more.

ESPN isn't going to air more... college... and NO freestyle.

Um...

https://btn.com/2019/10/17/record-breaking-wrestling-coverage-on-btn-in-2019-20/

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5037416-espn-expands-championship-wrestling-coverage

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/March/14/ESPN-announces-NCAA-Wrestling-coverage-in-Pittsburgh

No, ESPN isn’t going to make wrestling part of its regular rotation, but their coverage of NCAA’s has been increasing which is a good start.

neither is going to show freestlye... which is what would be year round coverage.

espn you are right is expanding nationals coverage... but they are not goin to show regular season stuff.

this is the first year it seems to me they have expanded coverage on BiG.

wonder what brought this on? along with the documentary... perhaps they watched something on flo...

lol

5 hours ago, GockeS said:

neither is going to show freestlye... which is what would be year round coverage.

espn you are right is expanding nationals coverage... but they are not goin to show regular season stuff.

this is the first year it seems to me they have expanded coverage on BiG.

wonder what brought this on? along with the documentary... perhaps they watched something on flo...

lol

Obviously “growing wrestling” is a pretty broad term, but IMO increasing fan interest in freestyle would be pretty down on my priority list.  Which just off the top of my head would probably be something like this:

1. Increasing participation in youth/HS wrestling

2. Growing/maintaining the number of college programs

3. Increasing fan interest in college wrestling

4. Increasing participation/official programs in girls wrestling

5: increasing fan interest in international styles

On 10/18/2019 at 5:10 PM, neutralpositionref said:

I am displeased, and reminded just now watching a video on FloGrappling, that I have to sit through a commercial before I can watch the video.  Didn't I pay for this service?  Why should I have to watch a commercial to see content.  The numerous Rocket Mortgage commercials during Beat the Streets were so annoying.

Dammit I pay for Direct TV, but every time I tune into ESPN there are commercials!

23 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Dammit I pay for Direct TV, but every time I tune into ESPN there are commercials!

Apples v. oranges comparison. Rah rah rah.

We want to talk about ESPN? Then let's focus on ESPN+. "$4.99/mo. or $49.99/yr. Cancel Anytime."

Edited by jon

anybody pay for cable?

they show commercials as well....

no different.

no jon. it isn't different.

'free' tv should have commercials by this logic, not cable.

Edited by GockeS

Flo a streaming product not a cable product.

BTN Plus. DAZN. ESPN+. HBO. Netflix. UFC Fight Pass. WWE Network. This list of other streaming products not exhaustive.

Flo inferior to each of those products with respect to pricing scheme and with respect to the display of pricing information.

Wrestling doesn't grow when the paywall is designed just so that diehards don't mind it.

Edited by jon