Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Watch ADCC!

https://www.flograppling.com/articles/6561834-2019-adcc-world-championships-schedule-how-to-watch-live

For anyone with a Flo account, you have access to this live event all days Sat and Sunday. 

I’ve been a submission grappling fan for years, although it comes 2nd to wrestling. 

If you are a wrestling fan, you will enjoy ADCC. 

In short - ADCC is the highest level no gi grappling event in the world, held every 2 years. There is a qualifier plus invites. They hold individual weight classes and an absolute (no weight class) where the best of each division can compete. The winner of that is considered the best grappler in the world. 

The wrestling level is improving. Some takedowns don’t work due to neck exposure. There are plenty of high level wrestlers who have competed in the past, including Kerr, Savko, Barkalsev and plenty of other D1 AAs too. 

Unlike many no gi events, there is a strong focus on takedowns in ADCC. 

There are plenty of good storylines this year, including a potential legend maker (24 year old Gordon Ryan, who won his weight and placed 2nd inabsolute in 2017, plus has beaten almost every name since then), his brother Nicky (17 year old phenom who has beaten some world class guys), existing legends (multiple time world champs litter the field), Kaynan Duarte up and comer (super young guy who was always a solid up and comer but recently broke into the black belt scene and killing world champions left and right) and plenty more

Anyways - if you are bored this weekend I suggest tuning in. I’m happy to run a thread on it if appropriate. I’m in need of some solid grappling before the season starts

35 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

https://www.flograppling.com/articles/6561834-2019-adcc-world-championships-schedule-how-to-watch-live

For anyone with a Flo account, you have access to this live event all days Sat and Sunday. 

I’ve been a submission grappling fan for years, although it comes 2nd to wrestling. 

If you are a wrestling fan, you will enjoy ADCC. 

In short - ADCC is the highest level no gi grappling event in the world, held every 2 years. There is a qualifier plus invites. They hold individual weight classes and an absolute (no weight class) where the best of each division can compete. The winner of that is considered the best grappler in the world. 

The wrestling level is improving. Some takedowns don’t work due to neck exposure. There are plenty of high level wrestlers who have competed in the past, including Kerr, Savko, Barkalsev and plenty of other D1 AAs too. 

Unlike many no gi events, there is a strong focus on takedowns in ADCC. 

There are plenty of good storylines this year, including a potential legend maker (24 year old Gordon Ryan, who won his weight and placed 2nd inabsolute in 2017, plus has beaten almost every name since then), his brother Nicky (17 year old phenom who has beaten some world class guys), existing legends (multiple time world champs litter the field), Kaynan Duarte up and comer (super young guy who was always a solid up and comer but recently broke into the black belt scene and killing world champions left and right) and plenty more

Anyways - if you are bored this weekend I suggest tuning in. I’m happy to run a thread on it if appropriate. I’m in need of some solid grappling before the season starts

Will be watching thanks.Be my first time can't wait.

Thanks Housebuye.  I've turned to BJJ in my middle ages as a great way to stay in shape and learn a little more self defense (afterall, pinning the adversary in an actual fight isn't extremely effective in an actual fight).  Two competitors from my school will be competing.  Will be fun to watch!  

And, fully agree about No Gi, and the influence of wrestling and how it's making it more competitive and "better". 

Note: For the young'uns reading, I fully support you trying No Gi to help you balance your folk/free/Greco game.  It will definitely help you in body positioning and control even more (given HB's comment about neck placements).  

I dabbled in MMA a little while coaching and my last fight was with a Brazilian who (at the time at least, this was about 15 years ago) held the scoring record at ADCC for a tournament.  The plan was no takedowns, but when a wrestler sees a double instinct takes over.  We had some pretty good scrambles for a couple minutes but needless to say.......coach went to sleep.

19 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I dabbled in MMA a little while coaching and my last fight was with a Brazilian who (at the time at least, this was about 15 years ago) held the scoring record at ADCC for a tournament.  The plan was no takedowns, but when a wrestler sees a double instinct takes over.  We had some pretty good scrambles for a couple minutes but needless to say.......coach went to sleep.

Haha no shame there. 

In high school I trained on and off at a bjj school during the off season. We would sometimes do takedown tournaments (winner stays so you get tired pretty fast) and I would mostly smash guys. I even smashed a guy who was my age but is now a world champion in mma (and still isn’t very good at wrestling, but doesn’t need to be clearly...). Even then as a blue belt he smashed me in bjj though  

another time a pudgy guy in his late 30s showed up to class. I was planning on trying our new stuff Id been working on with new guy. He proceeds to blast double me right on my ass. Turns out he was a former D2 AA...

58 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Thanks Housebuye.  I've turned to BJJ in my middle ages as a great way to stay in shape and learn a little more self defense (afterall, pinning the adversary in an actual fight isn't extremely effective in an actual fight).  Two competitors from my school will be competing.  Will be fun to watch!  

And, fully agree about No Gi, and the influence of wrestling and how it's making it more competitive and "better". 

Note: For the young'uns reading, I fully support you trying No Gi to help you balance your folk/free/Greco game.  It will definitely help you in body positioning and control even more (given HB's comment about neck placements).  

Very cool!

a brother of a friend of mine is competing too. He isn’t all that well known but man he is good. Great wrestling, top control, and beautiful ankle/low leg transitions and submissions from top position. 

Hopefully he can pull off a win or two. He doesn’t train close to full time so he isn’t beating the legendary guys most likely but still amazing

For anyone interested in stories...

I’ve trained with ADCC vets (not because I’m good, it is because I used to work in the mma industry so I would fly around to various gyms for work and then always get some rolls in. Go at my ass kicked by Johnny Hendricks on the mat once...)

anyways - this guy wasn’t well known outside of Brazilian circles and he had terrible wrestling. They had me start on his back when he was exhausted and made him escape. I’m much bigger than him and he fairly good back control due to leg riding in wrestling. 

After about a minute he escaped and was pissed that some ****ty guy had kept his back for a minute. He tapped me so many times. It was like I had never trained before. He floated through my guard and seemed to know what I was going to do before I did it. I don’t know how else to describe it. That guy, 40 pounds lighter than me and out of his prime, could’ve done anything he wanted to me. 

Im not cocky at all on the mat and mostly roll for fun. Plenty of guys beat me in class. I have never been so thoroughly handled as I was that day. He wasn’t mean about it either. Didn’t hurt me or anything. Still, it shakes you a bit when you realize there are guys out there, many smaller and weaker, that can physically dominate me in a fight. 

I’ve never had a full on fight before (I’ve had some punches thrown at me, beer thrown on me, etc but was always able to de-escalate) and that experience reaffirmed my approach to street fights. That guy could’ve easily killed me and/or completely embarrassed me. 

The more I train, the more I realize how bad I am

Decently entertaining event.   It’s not always going to be viewer friendly if you don’t appreciate the nuances of the guard play.  As primarily a mat wrestlers I love the chess match, but would much rather participate it than watch it intently.  While most wrestling fans may not sit through the stalemates to long they would definitely be entertained by the highlights of these matches.  I try to catch some BJJ and other grappling events on Flo occasionally when I notice a more high profile event.   If you missed it the Absolute tournament (no weight division) at the end definitely was worth the wait.   Some nice subs, a few big name matchups you don’t get to see with weight divisions, and one of the lightweights Giles from Australia unexpectedly taking out a couple big guys.    

Edited by MadMardigain