Jump to content
irani

Cox in 86 Kg?

Recommended Posts

In an interview in with Hassan Yazdani in an Iranian newspaper, they asked him what he thinks about Cox announcing that he wants to wrestle 86 Kg in the Olympics.

 

Is this true?  Has Cox made such an announcement? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, irani said:

In an interview in with Hassan Yazdani in an Iranian newspaper, they asked him what he thinks about Cox announcing that he wants to wrestle 86 Kg in the Olympics.

 

Is this true?  Has Cox made such an announcement? 

In an interview right after winning worlds, he said he needed to make his decision in the next few weeks. But as far as I know, he has not made (or at least announced) that decision, yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, irani said:

In an interview in with Hassan Yazdani in an Iranian newspaper, they asked him what he thinks about Cox announcing that he wants to wrestle 86 Kg in the Olympics.

 

Is this true?  Has Cox made such an announcement? 

What was Yazdani’s response though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CMickey92 said:

What was Yazdani’s response though?

جی دن کاکس، حریف آمریکایی علیرضا کریمی اخیرا گفته برای حضور در المپیک تصمیم به تغییر وزن دارد و می‌خواهد از ۹۲ به ۸۶ کیلوگرم وزن شما بیاید و در این صروت قطعا رقابت سنگینتر خواهد شد؟
یزدانی: بله، من هم شنیده‌ام؛ کاکس شخصیت بسیار خوبی دارد و با یکدیگر دوست هستیم و هر وقت در مسابقات یکدیگر را می‌بینیم احترام زیادی می‌گذاریم. جند بار هم به من گفته که می‌خواهد برای المپیک تغییر وزن دهد که من با خنده پاسخش را داده‌ام. برای من

فرقی نمی‌کند با چه حریفی کشتی بگیرم، اگر نماینده ایران در المپیک باشم تمام تلاشم را برای موفقیت و اهتزاز پرچم کشورم و شادی دل مردم ایران انجام می‌دهم. به عنوان یک سرباز وظیفه من جنگیدن در میدان مبارزه است.

 

Transtaion

Yazdani:  Yes, I have heard that too.  Cox has very good character and we are friends.  We show respect to each other every time that we see each other in tournaments.  He has told me a few times that he wants to change weight for the Olympics, and I respond with a laugh.  For me it does not matter who my opponent is.  If I am Iran's representative in the Olympics, I will do my best for success and raising the flag of my country, and to bring joy to people of Iran.  As a competitor, it is my duty t fight in the field

Edited by irani

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, irani said:

Does anyone know how much Cos had to cut to make 92?

 

I am wondering how difficult it will be with the new weighing rules for him to make 86

There aren't a lot of benefits of Cox dropping to 86.

He would be the only one with a bye. That is about it.

At 97 he would be able to focus on getting better over the course of the next 6 months and cutting a lot less weight with little to no change in actual diet.

As of right now I don't think there is any way he wouldn't have to cut to 213, even if it is a little bit. He would still get his bye, and while he would get a fresh Snyder I don't believe that would be a factor.

Edited by nhs67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

There aren't a lot of benefits of Cox dropping to 86.

He would be the only one with a bye. That is about it.

At 97 he would be able to focus on getting better over the course of the next 6 months and cutting a lot less weight with little to no change in actual diet.

As of right now I don't think there is any way he wouldn't have to cut to 213, even if it is a little bit. He would still get his bye, and while he would get a fresh Snyder I don't believe that would be a factor.

Isn’t the only one with a bye a good advantage?

Plus IMO Snyder > Taylor and Sadulaev > Yazdani so I’d bet he goes 86.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Isn’t the only one with a bye a good advantage?

Plus IMO Snyder > Taylor and Sadulaev > Yazdani so I’d bet he goes 86.

Yes of course being the only one with a bye is a huge advantage. That is it.

2018 World Cup Taylor TF Sharifov 12-2.

2019 Worlds Sharifov Dec Snyder 5-2.

Also Cox VS Sharifov? 0-2.

Styles make matches and Cox wouldn't be able to focus on being the best he can be at 86 as much as he would his weight management. 97kg is where we see the best version of Cox next year.

2017 Yazdani won worlds where Cox finished tied for 3rd. Yazdani had just made the jump from 74kg to 86kg(25lbs) from the year before. Yazdani has grown into the weight now.

Sad at 97 is not better than Yazdani at 86. Common opponents one year apart show that, and that was before Yazdani grew into the weight(Compare common opponents from Sad in 2016 and Yaz in 2017).

https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=261961009

https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=240107009

They didn't have any common opponents at the two mains, but someone had done a comparison last year and in the year separating them they had similar dominance, aside for the match against Taylor for Yazdani.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Yes of course being the only one with a bye is a huge advantage. That is it.

2018 World Cup Taylor TF Sharifov 12-2.

2019 Worlds Sharifov Dec Snyder 5-2.

Also Cox VS Sharifov? 0-2.

Styles make matches and Cox wouldn't be able to focus on being the best he can be at 86 as much as he would his weight management. 97kg is where we see the best version of Cox next year.

2017 Yazdani won worlds where Cox finished tied for 3rd. Yazdani had just made the jump from 74kg to 86kg(25lbs) from the year before. Yazdani has grown into the weight now.

Sad at 97 is not better than Yazdani at 86. Common opponents one year apart show that, and that was before Yazdani grew into the weight(Compare common opponents from Sad in 2016 and Yaz in 2017).

https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=261961009

https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=240107009

They didn't have any common opponents at the two mains, but someone had done a comparison last year and in the year separating them they had similar dominance, aside for the match against Taylor for Yazdani.

So other than the huge advantage, there is no advantage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jchapman said:

So other than the huge advantage, there is no advantage?

How do you mean?

I want the best version of Cox we can have. That is 97kg. He still gets a bye to the semi-finals of the challenge tourney.

That is huge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are lots of pros for Cox going to 86... No Sadulaev is the biggest one, No Snyder, no Sharifov, he’ll be the strongest one in his weight class, he’s the only one with a bye, his biggest competitor to make the team is coming off a major surgery. The only downside is the weight cut. No of us know how big of a downside that is, but it very well could be so bad that it is in his best interest to move up. But we don’t know. Let’s not pretend that if he could make 86 without sacrificing performance, he should still go up. The dude sweats like a machine... he may be able to get down with one workout lol. We just don’t know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In his interview, Cox mentioned that he would choose the best path to solidify his legacy; he also insinuated that he would leave it up to the fans to choose for him. It has been discussed by many that 97kg would do just that by defeating Snyder and Sadulaev. It has also been brought up that it was a challenge to make 86kg in 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, yonz_g said:

In his interview, Cox mentioned that he would choose the best path to solidify his legacy; he also insinuated that he would leave it up to the fans to choose for him. It has been discussed by many that 97kg would do just that by defeating Snyder and Sadulaev. It has also been brought up that it was a challenge to make 86kg in 2017.

I think winning an Olympic gold would solidify his legacy. That isn’t happening at 97 with Sadulaev there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, yonz_g said:

he also insinuated that he would leave it up to the fans to choose for him. 

Well, since he is leaving it up to us, he needs to drop to 74 and take out Burroughs.  Can someone make sure he gets that message?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

There are lots of pros for Cox going to 86... No Sadulaev is the biggest one, No Snyder, no Sharifov, he’ll be the strongest one in his weight class, he’s the only one with a bye, his biggest competitor to make the team is coming off a major surgery. The only downside is the weight cut. No of us know how big of a downside that is, but it very well could be so bad that it is in his best interest to move up. But we don’t know. Let’s not pretend that if he could make 86 without sacrificing performance, he should still go up. The dude sweats like a machine... he may be able to get down with one workout lol. We just don’t know

He said in a interview not long ago we just did a 55min workout and I lost 10lbs.In order to compete at 97kg he would've to gain weight which could take away his speed.86kg is where I think we see him

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, yonz_g said:

In his interview, Cox mentioned that he would choose the best path to solidify his legacy; he also insinuated that he would leave it up to the fans to choose for him. It has been discussed by many that 97kg would do just that by defeating Snyder and Sadulaev. It has also been brought up that it was a challenge to make 86kg in 2017.

It only solidifies his legacy if he wins.  An Olympic gold at 86kg would do more legacy solidification than Olympic silver/bronze at 97kg or Olympic alternate at 97kg.  So I wouldn't say that Cox's statement means he is leaning 97kg.  You would also need to know his perceived chance of winning at each weight to know that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way the trials are set up the I'll effects of Cox's weight cut will be reduced.  He only has one match day one.  So he weighs in in the morning then doesn't wrestle until the afternoon.  He will almost certainly be on the opposite side of the bracket from Taylor since Taylor should be/earn the 1 seed.   So he has to beat one of Downey, Dieringer, Heflin, or Valencia probably 4-6 hours after weigh ins.  

He also gets done probably a round early since there will be challenge tournament finals at some weights giving him time that day to workout after and get his weight where it needs at a reasonable hour.  The next day he likely weighs in in the morning and then has a decent amount of time until match 1.  All weights and styles are being contested.  Even if he isn't fully recovered by the first match there are two matches after that and there should be hours between them.

At the Olympics day one will be more challenging from a weight cut perspective.   If he gets Yazdani if the first round like Taylor did he might be in trouble.  Also being in the first round of the repechage would create the same issue day 2.

As David Taylor would you rather face Cox in the best of 1 semifinal day 1 or best of three final day 2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

It only solidifies his legacy if he wins.  An Olympic gold at 86kg would do more legacy solidification than Olympic silver/bronze at 97kg or Olympic alternate at 97kg.  So I wouldn't say that Cox's statement means he is leaning 97kg.  You would also need to know his perceived chance of winning at each weight to know that. 

I definitely agree! Just introducing the current discussion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I I’d have to think the 1st goal is making the Olympic team for Cox. With that in mind, I’m sure he likes his chances of beating DT coming off injury, surgery, & a lay-off from training & competition. This seems like a no brainer to me so long as Cox can make the weight & compete at the same level down 13lbs. 

 

For what it’s worth I think Cox takes the spot at either weight 86 or 97 & I think he’ll win the Olympics at either weight as well. That said his odds are simply better at 86 given DT’s interruption of training & competition. 

Edited by CrewWrestling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CrewWrestling said:

I I’d have to think the 1st goal is making the Olympic team for Cox. With that in mind, I’m sure he likes his chances of beating DT coming off injury, surgery, & a lay-off from training & competition. This seems like a no brainer to me so long as Cox can make the weight & compete at the same level down 13lbs. 

 

For what it’s worth I think Cox takes the spot at either weight 86 or 97 & I think he’ll win the Olympics at either weight as well. That said his odds are simply better at 86 given DT’s interruption of training & competition. 

What have you seen from Cox that makes you think he is on Sadulaev's level?  I think he has been great the past two years, but we sometimes forget how depleted 92 kg is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...