irani

Interview with Hassan Yazdani

Based on positive feedback on my other post, I decided to post my translation of the more of the interview with Hassan Yazdani

یزدانی: نمی‌گذارم کشتی به وقت دوم برسد

یزدانی: نمی‌گذارم کشتی به وقت دوم برسد

م.

Third gold Olympic or world gold medal for you?

Hazdani - I thank all the fans who prayed for me and my team mates.  I worked very hard for this, and I wanted Gold, and thank god I was able to achieve a good result.  I hope this is the trend that continues in the Olympics, and I can achieve a good medal there too, and bring joy to the people of Iran

People were upset and heartbroken after your unexpected loss last year, but this year witnessed the same Hassan as always, and you brought joy to the people

Yazdani - People have always been kind to me, and all my success it due to their prayers.  Last year, I was truly surprised at the world championship, and was very upset myself, but thank god I was able to get a bronze medal,  At that time, I promised myself to make up for my loss, and give the best to the people of Iran.  Fortunately, I had the best training in this period, and I hope this Gold Medal partially answers people's kindness to me

Of course, everyone was impatiently anticipating your rematch with Taylor, the American wrestler

The qualify of competition is always higher in the championship before the Olympics, and this year it was so.  Unfortunately, my american opponent was injured and unable to compete.  Hopefully, we will have our rematch in the Olympics, perhaps in the finals

After hearing the news about Taylor's injury, you wished him well.  Everyone was anticipating your rematch

yes, I was upset and I wished him well.  His injury appears to be serious, since he missed the championship.  I was hoping for a rematch with him, but I guess it will have to wait for another time, perhaps the Olympic finals.

After losing in the last championship, everyone was anticipating your revenge against your opponent

It's not about revenge, it's about competing honorably with respect and dignity.  I was hoping to compete against him this year, to redeem myself, because I know my fans were upset and I wanted to make them happy again

Everyone was anticipating a sweet victory in the final, but apparently, lots of fans, specially Iranians gathered to watch you final, but your Indian opponent did not want to have a bitter defeat go along with his sweet silver medal

I do not know if he was really hurt or not, but Hossein Karimi, his Iranian coach of the India team told me that he has an ankle injury.  As you say, it's a lot sweeter to win a gold by winning the final, specially when there are so many fans out there

J'aiden Cox, Karimi's opponent has said that he wants to move to your 86 KG weight for the Olympics.  surely this will make the competition even tougher?

Yazdani:  Yes, I have heard that too.  Cox has very good character and we are friends.  We show respect to each other every time that we see each other in tournaments.  He has told me a few times and I just respond by laughing.   For me it does not matter who my opponent is.  If I am Iran's representative in the Olympics, I will do my best for success and raising the flag of my country, and to bring joy to people of Iran.  As a competitor, it is my duty t fight in the field

Many say that you do not have any real competitors, and they try not to lose to badly to you

No, it's not like that.  I respect all my opponents, but my style is such that I finish my matches early.  It does not mean I don't respect my opponents

Apparently you did not even wrestle for 8 minutes in these championships, many call it the 8 minute storm

People are kind to me.  I do not know the exact stats, but I really do not let my matches reach the second half

You were received well by the Kazak fans.  It appears that they know you well, and you are popular there.  Did you expect that?

I knew Kazaks like wrestling and know wrestling well, but I did not expect such a reception.  I am honored to represent Iran to them, and hope that I am a good ambassador and show them Iran's culture.  Of course, I also need to thank the Iranian fans who came there to support me

Russian Wrestling coach DZHAMBULAT TEDEEV put a picture of the two of you on his page, and after you won he sent his congratulations and referred to you as his brother

Tedeev is a known and famous coach and does not need me to say positive things about him.  I am honored that he feels this way about me, and I have expressed my gratitude to him

Arsen Fadzayev, the Freestyle legend congratulated you, and invited you to wrestle in the tournament in Yerevan where other famous champions compete

Yes, he is very kind to me.  My schedule is determined by the wrestling technical committee, and I will do whatever they decide is best

What are your plans between now and the Olympics?

I will rest a little bit, then compete in the wrestling league based on my contract, rest some again, and then start training for the Olympics

https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/fa/news/229371/یزدانی-دیدار-با-حریف-آمریکایی-بماند-برای-فینال-المپیک

Edited by irani

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Awesome.  Thank you so much.   I look forward to he and Cox doing battle in Tokyo!

1. No guarantee that Cox is really going to 86
  2. No guarantee that if Fox goes to 86 he will defeat Taylor
  3. I think, Yazdani, and all Yazdani fans want Taylor.  Taylor has destroyed Yazdani the last two times they met, this is Yazdani's only chance to redeem himself

I'm curious if any of you have heard how David Taylor's knee is healing.  I think Dake was about 85% this championship, and I would like to see DT get 100% to his A game.  Then he will likely make the team and the finals, but Cox would be slightly favored, as they have met in the trials finals previously.  

55 minutes ago, Peso said:

I'm curious if any of you have heard how David Taylor's knee is healing.  I think Dake was about 85% this championship, and I would like to see DT get 100% to his A game.  Then he will likely make the team and the finals, but Cox would be slightly favored, as they have met in the trials finals previously.  

Is there confirmation from any reliable source that Cox is in fact looking at 86 Kg?  The Iranian source could just be a simple case of someone misunderstanding what he said in his interview

8 hours ago, Peso said:

Regarding their prior meeting, something to consider is (I think) that was under the old system. Meaning that Cox rested all day while Taylor had to first win the challenge tourney and then beat a rested Cox. 

Same day weigh in and both rested is different.

Is there confirmation from any reliable source that Cox is in fact looking at 86 Kg?  The Iranian source could just be a simple case of someone misunderstanding what he said in his interview
He said he hasnt decided. One of those "both weights provide unique hurdles and he has to consider how it impacts his legacy " type statements.

I'd guess he goes down. But just my speculation.

Thank you for posting this translation, Irani. Hassan Yazdani is an excellent ambassador for the IRI and the sport of wrestling. His modest, grateful attitude should be emulated by all wrestlers. There is not an iota of arrogance or negativity in any of his words about his opponents, who he looks at with respect and good will. 

4 minutes ago, Jon_Kozak said:

My favorite part of the interview was that he didn’t say anything good about Tedeev.

In all seriousness though, thanks for the translation...seems like a great guy with incredible character.

In case you are serious, he was very positive on Tedeev

Perhaps it did not come across in my amateurish translation.

every time I hear Tedeev’s name I remember how he destroyed Dabir in Tehran, the year after Dabir won the Olympic s 

Edited by irani

23 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Regarding their prior meeting, something to consider is (I think) that was under the old system. Meaning that Cox rested all day while Taylor had to first win the challenge tourney and then beat a rested Cox. 

Same day weigh in and both rested is different.

Taylor hardly had to work to make it through that bracket. It was nothing like the brutal 74 kg bracket he was in years prior. They have both improved significantly in the past couple of years, so I don't think their prior matches can be used to predict the outcome of future matches, anyways. If J'den does drop, the match up between these two may be more anticipated than Burroughs and Dake.That said, the competition at 86 kg will be much tougher overall than what it was in 2017, with a couple of guys who will be game to give Taylor and Cox their best shot.

I highly doubt Cox drops. He struggled with the weight when it was day before weigh ins and it impacted his performance. Why would he risk his body not holding up? I have to assume that if he feels good he has his best shot at winning. He can’t control how his body reacts to what will be a tough weight cut, even if he does it perfectly

i also think stylistically he can challenge Snyder. They go in the room often during camps but I imagine that will stop now. They have been battling since high school, similar to Dake and Taylor. Snyder is arguably the only reason Jden isn’t a 4 timer too. 

9 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

as humble as the interview is....i hope DT pins him again!

and if Cox would drop and beat DT, I'll take Cox over Yazdani in a close sweaty battle, 3-1

Cox vs Yazdani would be fascinating. I’d be worried Cox might get a bunch of fleeing type penalties. He would have to get on his reattacks early or he may get cautioned out. 

What an amazing match that would be. Sadly it won’t happen. 

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

Cox vs Yazdani would be fascinating. I’d be worried Cox might get a bunch of fleeing type penalties. He would have to get on his reattacks early or he may get cautioned out. 

What an amazing match that would be. Sadly it won’t happen. 

have to disagree with Cox getting cautioned out. He's a savvy wrestler and wouldn't allow this to happen. No way.

and let's be honest, this is a possibility, can't say it won't happen just yet.

6 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

have to disagree with Cox getting cautioned out. He's a savvy wrestler and wouldn't allow this to happen. No way.

and let's be honest, this is a possibility, can't say it won't happen just yet.

Yeah I don’t think it will happen either. Just a fascinating style matchup. 

I just don’t see how it’s possible. I don’t think Cox would even win the spot at 86kg. He is bigger than he was and it’s same day weigh ins. Even if he does, I don’t think he would make the finals, as he would be extremely drained. 

7 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

He’s not bigger than he was, which is why 86 is even a consideration. 

Yeah, if anything, he has really kept his weight down to where 86 is still possible. In an interview at the world team trials he said something along the lines of being underweight a day or two ahead of weigh-ins which led to early speculation on this forum that he might be looking at going down. If he didn't think it was a possibility, he would just say he can't make it and go 97, so he is clearly thinking about it. It will come down to how big of an impact he thinks the cut will have on his performance given the same day weigh-ins.