Ultimatepip

Push outs in College?

Curious what everyone thinks? I'm talking a point for pushouts on the feet, while wrestling on the mat the regular rules would apply. Do you think it would encourage more action?  What if we took it a step further and gave 2 back points for freestyle exposure, like gut wrenches and leg laces? It sure would help when transitioning to freestyle.

Just a thought....

12 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Push outs favor the more athletic wrestlers. Iowa might make it work at Heavyweight, but the other 9 weight classes getting a Push out when it's worth 0 points and getting that Push out for 1 point are two different things. 

Wow, you are saying Iowa has the most athletic heavyweight.  I wonder what Cassar has to say about this?

7 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Wow, you are saying Iowa has the most athletic heavyweight.  I wonder what Cassar has to say about this?

I am saying a guy like Sam Stoll who is at the very upper end of the weight range can push out a much smaller Hwt. even if that smaller Hwt. is more athletic. That doesn't work so well when the two wrestlers are the same size and the other guy is more athletic. 

I think we're in a pretty good place now.  We just need a little more consistency from officials, which I think we'll get.  

If we're going to start incorporating things like 2 pt exposure, we might as well just switch to freestyle instead of half-assing it.    That's a fundamental change that removes large portions of folkstyle technique from the sport almost entirely.  

22 hours ago, Ultimatepip said:

Curious what everyone thinks? I'm talking a point for pushouts on the feet, while wrestling on the mat the regular rules would apply. Do you think it would encourage more action?  What if we took it a step further and gave 2 back points for freestyle exposure, like gut wrenches and leg laces? It sure would help when transitioning to freestyle.

Just a thought....

Why not just completely transition to freestyle then?

55 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Why not just completely transition to freestyle then?

Cause the scoring is too subjective in freestyle. Ok forget the guts and the laces, but I still think push outs would be nice. I know we have the new stalling rule now, but I think we should take it a step further.

The biggest problem with push outs in folk is how they are called.

If the officials called it correctly and consistency it would work, but...

In every sport I am all about making rules that improve the quality of officiating. Usually it involves simplifying the rules. It is hard enough to get stuff right when there is a lot of action but if you add subjective decisions by officials it makes fans crazy. I do not like the push out point as offense but it would simplify officiating.

8 hours ago, Ultimatepip said:

Cause the scoring is too subjective in freestyle. Ok forget the guts and the laces, but I still think push outs would be nice. I know we have the new stalling rule now, but I think we should take it a step further.

Are you referring to the shot clock? It seems passivity/stalling is subjective in nature.  Folkstyle is frustrating in this regard because the refs make the OOB calls based on the score and flow of the match.