Sign in to follow this  
GranbyTroll

Haji Aliyev at 65kg

Despite being a 3x World Champion at 61kg, Haji has not produced any world medals at 65kg. This year at worlds he lost two close ones to this year's and last year's world champs. Does it have something to do with the weight class, the two day weigh ins, something related to that? Or is he just passing his prime competition years. He didn't look too far off Rashidov, but he looked out of gas and not as explosive as usual vs Otoguro the next day. 

I don't know...Rashidov was one of the most impressive wrestler of the entire tournament, and Aliev was right there with him.  I think at this point the weight is a bad excuse considering he's won multiple Euro titles 65kg now, Rashidov is even newer to the weight, and Otoguro isn't particularly big for the weight either. 

You could certainly say he's been less consistent at 65kg, but he's still a definite threat to win the weight next year.  

I would say he doesn’t need an excuse. He’s a world champ who lost by a hair to two other world champions in The toughest weight class in the game.  Could easily win gold next year.  I  personally thought he won the match against Rashidov who dominated otherwise.

I hate to say it, but TBar brings up a good point. What I remember most of Haji is him smoking everyone in 2015 and 2017 in the non-Olympic weight. I think one of those years he tech'd like 4/5 opponents, one in the finals. The competition was probably a little weaker in the non-Olympic weights. 

The Olympic weight of 66/65 has virtually been a pick 'em.  Only three guys have won more than one gold since they went to 66 in '03, and all three won exactly two.  Every other year has had a different champ, and many many have reached the finals.  It's a tough tough weight,  where its basically who is the most hot that day.  Haji just hasn't had his day.  I for one hope that, if its not our guy, Tokyo becomes his day.

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The Olympic weight of 66/65 has virtually been a pick 'em.  Only three guys have won more than one gold since they went to 66 in '03, and all three won exactly two.  Every other year has had a different champ, and many many have reached the finals.  It's a tough tough weight,  where its basically who is the most hot that day.  Haji just hasn't had his day.  I for one hope that, if its not our guy, Tokyo becomes his day.

This is another thing. Only Taghavi (2009 and 2011 gold) , Sahin (2007 and 2008 gold) and Ramonov (2014 and 2016 gold) have been able to win more than once at this weight. Sahin was the only one who could do it back to back. 

Edited by Shiraz123