Sign in to follow this  
Fishbane

No NWCA All-Star Classic in 2019

23 minutes ago, red blades said:

Responses like this... And we wonder why we don't get more wrestling coverage in mainstream media?

This event has been dying for years. I dont blame top guys for wanting to ease into the season. Its a long season. Thats not unique to just wrestling.

8 hours ago, Molsen said:

Its a shame. Yes not having the 1s vs 2s every match made it not as exciting, but there were still great matchups amonst numerous highly ranked guys.  Not having the event sucks for people who enjoy high level college wrestling.

I actually hate high level wrestling so I am pumped.

This year could have been an interesting opportunity for the All Star Classic with the Olympic redshirts.  One concept could be to get some of the Olympic redshirts to wrestle in the event.  If it was in a mid season time frame I think it would be best from a fan perspective.  They could try and match up the wrestler who established himself as number 1 vs the top Olympic redshirt at the weight.  Micic/Fix vs Lee, Fix/Micic vs Gross, Yianni/Eierman vs Lee, Lewis vs Joseph, etc.  But that only works if they participate.  If this was beat the streets they would announce it before anyone has committed and then you get what you get.

16 hours ago, Molsen said:

Its a shame. Yes not having the 1s vs 2s every match made it not as exciting, but there were still great matchups amonst numerous highly ranked guys.  Not having the event sucks for people who enjoy high level college wrestling.

Not every match but at least a few of them would be nice.  I travel to watch top wrestling but not going across country to watch the product of the last few years.

19 hours ago, Fishbane said:

This year could have been an interesting opportunity for the All Star Classic with the Olympic redshirts.  One concept could be to get some of the Olympic redshirts to wrestle in the event.  If it was in a mid season time frame I think it would be best from a fan perspective.  They could try and match up the wrestler who established himself as number 1 vs the top Olympic redshirt at the weight.  Micic/Fix vs Lee, Fix/Micic vs Gross, Yianni/Eierman vs Lee, Lewis vs Joseph, etc.  But that only works if they participate.  If this was beat the streets they would announce it before anyone has committed and then you get what you get.

This is a great idea! They could even make some matches freestyle. I know that’s weird given who the org is, but who cares! It would’ve been fun, plus maybe they could’ve gotten some of the National team women to compete. 

I bet you Yianni and Eierman would’ve said yes. I don’t think any world teamers would do it just due to timing after worlds, but Yianni and Eierman probably want the extra roll anyways. 

This might also be a great chance to showcase “freakshow” matches. Some BJJ guys have called out wrestlers to compete with them in wrestling. It has been respectful, but it would also be a great way to showcase wrestling to he BJJ fan base. It could only help build the sport. Honestly Flo should put a show like this on...