Sign in to follow this  
jerseywrestling

1999 NCAA All-Americans

Taking it back 20 years ago this Tuesday!

Here are the NCAA champions from 1999:

125: Stephen Abas – Fresno State
133: Eric Guerrero – Oklahoma State
141: Doug Schwab – Iowa
149: T.J. Williams – Iowa
157: Casey Cunningham – Central Michigan
165: Kirk White – Boise State
174: Glenn Pritzlaff – Penn State
184: Cael Sanderson – Iowa State
197: Tim Hartung – Minnesota
285: Stephen Neal – Cal State-Bakersfield

Check out the full list of All-Americans from that year!

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_medalists.php?year=1999

Edited by jerseywrestling

was there for this one. great tournament coming down to heavyweight deciding team title. of many great memories besides that, Blackford taking top in OT and riding out Heskett in quarters and Quisel's run through consolations to take 3rd stand out.  

57 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Was the Mat Orndorff who took 4th at heavyweight (Oregon St) related to the brothers currently wrestling for Utah Valley?

I believe he’s an uncle, their dad was a runner-up in 1988 and they are also cousins of Rulon Gardner.

I was there, 4 rows up center mat (had a great family connection for tix).   It was evident that Cael was something special.  Best match of the tourney was Abas vs. Teague Moore in the semi's.   20 years later, and I can say that current NCAA wrestling is in a much better place.  Some of those 1999 finals matches were snooze fests.  

9 hours ago, Gantry said:

For us Illinois natives, seeing high school teammates TJ Williams and Tony Davis face off the NCAA finals was a treat.   Williams just comes into his first year of D1 and doesn't lose a match, a very impressive feat.

+ kids club teammates @ Harvey Twisters

12 hours ago, tightwaist said:

I was there, 4 rows up center mat (had a great family connection for tix).   It was evident that Cael was something special.  Best match of the tourney was Abas vs. Teague Moore in the semi's.   20 years later, and I can say that current NCAA wrestling is in a much better place.  Some of those 1999 finals matches were snooze fests.  

Abas-Moore was a great match.

18 hours ago, tightwaist said:

that was a great match. the 141 semis were pretty darn good too.