Sign in to follow this  
Michigan wrestling

Michigan Olympic Redshirts 4 Wrestlers

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/October/01/Michigan-announces-four-athletes-to-take-Olympic-redshirt-years

Storr, Amine, Massa and Micic. I guess Michigan wants to make a big run 2020-2021. Wouldn't be surprise if Parris and certainly Mchenry redshirt as well. 

So the lineup could be 

125 Assad/Medley

133 Mattin/SIlva

141 Ben Freeman/Silva

149 Ben Lamantia

157 Will Lewan/Van Anrooy

165 Reece Hughes/Cam Amine

174 Max Maylor 

184 Embree

197 J Striggow

285 Parris/Ready

Edited by Michigan wrestling

If Micic wrestles college in 2020-2021 how many years was he on a college roster?  2014-15 at Northwestern redshirt, 2015-16 Michigan did not wrestle because of transfer an olympic redshirt maybe?, 206-2017 got 4th at NCAA as a freshman, 2017-2018 got 2nd as a Soph, 2018-2019 got 3rd, 2019-2020 Olympic redshirt.  2020-2021 if he wrestles next year that would be 7 years??? Is that right?

Edited by smitty11

5 hours ago, Michigan wrestling said:

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/October/01/Michigan-announces-four-athletes-to-take-Olympic-redshirt-years

Storr, Amine, Massa and Micic. I guess Michigan wants to make a big run 2020-2021. Wouldn't be surprise if Parris and certainly Mchenry redshirt as well. 

So the lineup could be 

125 Assad/Medley

133 Mattin/SIlva

141 Ben Freeman/Silva

149 Ben Lamantia

174 Max Maylor 

184 Embree

197 J Striggow

285 Parris/Ready

I'm pretty sure that Parris and McHenry also meet the criteria for an ORS.

I kind of hope Paris redshirts too (Olympic). I want to see him compete, but coming off an insane junior worlds maybe he should give the trials a shot? He is young anyways, so he could probably use a year to improve for folkstyle too (he is damn good, but he is just scratching the surface of his potential)

14 hours ago, Michigan wrestling said:

So the lineup could be 

125 Assad/Medley

133 Mattin/SIlva

141 Ben Freeman/Silva

149 Ben Lamantia

174 Max Maylor 

184 Embree

197 J Striggow

285 Parris/Ready

125 - 2 points? Solid weight this year especially if Suriano comes back. 

133 - either could AA. 

141 - freeman was so good in high school. Silva could AA. Hope freeman has jumped levels. 

149 - 2 points

157 - could AA

165 - cam amine is very good. Potential AA but he probably shirts

174 - no points

184 - r16? Could AA on the right day 

197 - same as 184

285 - if Paris, likely AA. Junior world golds have an excellent track record of AAing. Literally all have AAd at least twice (not including guys who haven’t had the opportunity to yet, like Fix and Gable)

Their best lineup could get them up to 5 AAs. 2 is most likely assuming Paris shirts

6 hours ago, IronChef said:

Micic is 23 now and will turn 25 shortly after the 2021 NCAA tournament. Should be well on his way to a 2nd or 3rd Master's degree by then.

He was in the same high school class as Snyder. Imagine if Snyder was still going to be wrestling in college NEXT season. 

Okay. Sweet.

This is the lineup I want, as a Michigan fan with the highest of hopes for the season, still.

125-Austin Assad, Jack Medley

133-Joey Silva, Nick Freeman

141-Ben Freeman, KJ Suitor

149-Ben Lamantia, Nick Lombard

157-Will Lewan, Layne van Anrooy

165-Cameron Amine, Lane van Anrooy

174-Reese Hughes, Max Maylor

184-Jelani Embree, Max Maylor

197-Andrew Davison, Jackson Striggow

285-Luke Ready, Beefed up 197lber?

I want Mattin(regular RS), Parris, and McHenry(Oly-shirt) to all redshirt.  I'm not sold on who would man 285 then.  Perhaps either Striggows or Davison could man it more appropriately than Ready(who was a solid recruit out of H.S. just hasn't taken the next step).

I think Silva and Lewan are immediate high AA threats.  If Freeman, Lamantia, Embree, Davison and even to some extent Amine put together mistake-free seasons with no injury, they could all sneak onto the podium or at least win a match or three at NCAAs.  Assad as well.

This team is still going to win more than they lose.  The talent is there with the only weight class that won't win as much as it loses being 285(I think).  Unless either of the Striggows or even Davison can be a fast, athletic heavy while maintaining solid enough strength to be mid-tier.