Jump to content
Jimmy Cinnabon

AJ Ferrari announcing college choice tonight

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, unbiased said:

Since when do wrestlers need press? It's not like anyone outside of wrestling knows who he is.

Wrestlers don’t “need” press, but in this day in age of marketing and personal branding, and with it being very likely that college students will soon be able to draw some income with appearances and what not, building a social media following is just simply wise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, unbiased said:

I miss the old days when you went to college to get an education and find a career that would set you up for the rest of your days. I'm not even that old.

Those days are still here, and the sport of wrestling is filled with those days. But there’s more opportunities for creating income these days. What’s wrong with the up coming generation taking advantage of it (as long as it’s not done in a PDIII kind of way....that’s a different story)

But I understand what you’re saying. 

Edited by Lurker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, unbiased said:

I miss the old days when you went to college to get an education and find a career that would set you up for the rest of your days. I'm not even that old.

Not sure what this has to do with Ferrari?

For one, there’s probably more ability for people to actually make wrestling a career now than in the “old days” - between competing, NCAA coaching jobs, clubs, etc.

And even if Ferrari doesn’t, are you implying Oklahoma State is a bad school? It seems part of the reason he chose it was because it’s relatively close to home, which of course is a reason why many people choose a particular college in general.  And if he wants to stay in the area after college, then having a degree from a state university in the general area makes sense.

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, unbiased said:

Since when do wrestlers need press? It's not like anyone outside of wrestling knows who he is.

The ones that want to build their brand, especially if they plan to go into coaching, senior level or an adjacent sport (bjj, mma, etc). 

 It could also help their scholarship offers theoretically 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sstern said:

Not that you’re wrong but we say this about every three years when he signs a loaded class, then they underperform given their high school accolades.

I've got to call this one out.  

First he hasn't signed a class close to this one.  He also hasn't signed classes close to the only schools he regularly loses to.  He's had a few high profile individuals flop but I'd be willing to bet his average nationals finish is higher than his average recruiting class ranking.  They've foolishly been recruiting with no RTC for years and have been hammered in recruiting because of it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just did the leg work and googled their class rankings.  These are mix and match from open mat, D1 college wrestling, etc...  I didn't cherry pick, I just went with easiest to find. 

OSU class rankings.  

2019 - #8 class

2018 - #16 

2017 - #11

2016 - #16

2015 - #2

2014 - #2

2013 - #11 

2012 - #5

2011 - #6

2010 - #15

So for the decade they averaged 9.2 on their class rankings.  Their NCAA finish over the same span is 3,13, 3, 2, 7, 3, 2, 6, 4, 6.  So off of an average 9.2 recruiting class they average a 4.9 finish.  The only real flop was the 2014 class of Marstellar and Blees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, boconnell said:

I've got to call this one out.  

First he hasn't signed a class close to this one.  He also hasn't signed classes close to the only schools he regularly loses to.  He's had a few high profile individuals flop but I'd be willing to bet his average nationals finish is higher than his average recruiting class ranking.  They've foolishly been recruiting with no RTC for years and have been hammered in recruiting because of it.  

I want to see how Travis Wittlake performs. He was a multiple World team guy and a P4P top 2 or 3 guy at one point. A guy like him should come out and be a stud from Day 1. He should perform commensurate with that level of recruit. Injuries can always happen, but if he is healthy and he does not crack the top 10 in his weight class after a redshirt year then that will not be a good sign.

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Like I said, It's just me being a picky old guy. 

But basically he puts out twitter polls before and after every one of his visits, refers to himself in the third person, photoshopped pictures of him in each singlet... now he's gotta hold a live stream of his decision. You get the drift... it's just a bit much.  

It's hard not to get a big head when you're a star in a sport followed by almost 40 people.

Edited by Fletcher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

I want to see how Travis Wittlake performs. He was a multiple World team guy and a P4P top 2 or 3 guy at one point. A guy like him should come out and be a stud from Day 1. He should perform commensurate with that level of recruit. Injuries can always happen, but if he is healthy and he does not crack the top 10 in his weight class after a redshirt year then that will not be a good sign.

Wittlake has gotten worse since he arrived.  The multiple world teams you referenced were all years ago.  They either ruined him before he ever wrestled a match, or something went wrong.  Hopefully he can turn things around.  Either way it shows that OSU is not great at developing already great recruits. 

People who act like PSU just recruits ready made guys ignore the fact that ready made guys flop all the time at schools not called PSU.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Wittlake has gotten worse since he arrived.  The multiple world teams you referenced were all years ago.  They either ruined him before he ever wrestled a match, or something went wrong.  Hopefully he can turn things around.  Either way it shows that OSU is not great at developing already great recruits. 

People who act like PSU just recruits ready made guys ignore the fact that ready made guys flop all the time at schools not called PSU.  

He wrestled 182 his senior year in high school.  OSU has him rostered at 165 this year.  Me thinks John Smith's weight loss program is affecting his performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

He wrestled 182 his senior year in high school.  OSU has him rostered at 165 this year.  Me thinks John Smith's weight loss program is affecting his performance.

You're still just making stuff up.  

Wittlake projected as a 174 recruit and wrestled every one of his matches at 174 last year.  He was not impressive but not terrible their.  He may suck down to 165 to make the team this year and it may hurt his performance, but it has nothing to do with what's happened in the last 18 months.  

0/10 troll job.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, boconnell said:

You're still just making stuff up.  

Wittlake projected as a 174 recruit and wrestled every one of his matches at 174 last year.  He was not impressive but not terrible their.  He may suck down to 165 to make the team this year and it may hurt his performance, but it has nothing to do with what's happened in the last 18 months.  

0/10 troll job.  

Which part is untrue?  He wrestled 182 his senior year.

Look at the official 2019-2020 roster --- he is listed at 165.  https://okstate.com/roster.aspx?roster=1219&path=

 

image.thumb.png.3e23c9d4ee8e5204238fcae4bbb133b4.png

 

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He wrestled 170 in the USAW season his senior year, and 74kg (<163lbs) at the US open exactly five months ago, where he performed well enough to place fifth as a college freshman, and then again later at the junior world trials.

Edited by Lurker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed this quote from Ferarri:

“It’s really been a blessing. At the time whenever you’re at the school you feel like this is the one, this is the best school in the world, you feel like. But you’ve got to go back, you’ve got to talk to your family, you’ve got to pray and you’ve got to look at everything, not only on paper but let God lead you in the way you’re going to go and know it’s going to put you in the right (place) not only for the next four or five years for me but for the next 10 years for my brothers to possibly go there and my kids and maybe eventually a coaching position.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Panther78 said:

I really enjoyed this quote from Ferarri:

“It’s really been a blessing. At the time whenever you’re at the school you feel like this is the one, this is the best school in the world, you feel like. But you’ve got to go back, you’ve got to talk to your family, you’ve got to pray and you’ve got to look at everything, not only on paper but let God lead you in the way you’re going to go and know it’s going to put you in the right (place) not only for the next four or five years for me but for the next 10 years for my brothers to possibly go there and my kids and maybe eventually a coaching position.”

Somebody tell him his brothers and kids can choose their own schools. Maybe God will tell him ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Which part is untrue?  He wrestled 182 his senior year.

Look at the official 2019-2020 roster --- he is listed at 165.  https://okstate.com/roster.aspx?roster=1219&path=

 

image.thumb.png.3e23c9d4ee8e5204238fcae4bbb133b4.png

 

The part where you equated the drop in performance last year to a weight cut that hasn't happened yet.  

It is very possible dropping the weight makes him wrestle worse in the future.  But it has nothing to do with his prior RS performance anywhere except in your head.

Edited by boconnell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, boconnell said:

The part where you equated the drop in performance last year to a weight cut that hasn't happened yet.  

It is very possible dropping the weight makes him wrestle worse in the future.  But it has nothing to do with his prior RS performance anywhere except in your head.

You said yourself: "Wittlake has gotten worse since he arrived."

If not the weight drop, how do you explain why a blue chip recruit being coached by a living legend of the sport, the GOAT John Smith, "has gotten worse since he arrived"?  Again, your words, not mine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

You said yourself: "Wittlake has gotten worse since he arrived."

If not the weight drop, how do you explain why a blue chip recruit being coached by a living legend of the sport, the GOAT John Smith, "has gotten worse since he arrived"?  Again, your words, not mine.

 

Easy....some kids don't quite live up to the expectations going into their redshirt freshman year of college athletics.  There are many reasons for it.  And it happens all over the country.  Guilbon, A. Valencia, even Jason Tsirtsis...on and on and on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Easy....some kids don't quite live up to the expectations going into their redshirt freshman year of college athletics.  There are many reasons for it.  And it happens all over the country.  Guilbon, A. Valencia, even Jason Tsirtsis...on and on and on.

So then you're not really saying he got worse.  You're saying he didn't live up on expectations, i.e. he wasn't good as advertised.  You said he got worse which means he actually was better when he started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...