Jimmy Cinnabon

AJ Ferrari announcing college choice tonight

The same people who claim to want the sport of wrestling to grow and become mainstream are the same people who clown the ones trying to make that a reality. I'm not a fan of Ferrari (his social media, way he portrays himself, etc.) but at least people are interested. I think the interesting people in the sport do not get the push because they obviously don't have the accolades as the top level wrestlers. Which is why someone with both gets so much attention,  such as PD3. We've always had characters in the sport but they've rarely been at the highest level, which leaves the general public thinking all wrestlers are meatheads with nothing to say except the same old boring cliches.

David Taylor,  J'den Cox, Daton Fix, etc. are not helping wrestling become mainstream. Rudis is not making wrestling mainstream. FloWrestling is not making wrestling mainstream. They are helping the casual fan enjoy more variety and gain access to their favorite wrestlers but that is all.

An example that I think helps explain my point better is Dylan Palacio - this kid gives a great impromptu motivational speech after beating Kemerer a few years back at NCAA's. The only thing that makes that speech better is primetime ESPN after a finals national championship victory. But we're never going to see Jason Nolf give a speech like that. 

My point of writing this post (I've been a lurker on these forums for years) is not to bash someone's approach or lifestyle. A majority of wrestlers are great role models for young (and old) to look up to and find that daily motivation towards the greater goal. And flo, rudis, and every wrestling podcast/website (Bloodround, Inside Trip) are doing their best to promote the sport, but it doesn't mean they are gaining Larry's. 

You want more scholarships, you want more mainstream coverage, you want more access, but you don't want wrestlers enjoying the process and comfortable being themselves. 

These kids all grew up with social media and cell phones yet you don't want them seeking opinions of their peers regarding thoughts on their future athletic/academic careers. 

If you really think an "exclusive" interview with Kyle Snyder (or anyone else with nothing new to say) helps grow the sport better than any "Chow with Rau" video you need to step into the future. 

And that's the thing! There are high level wrestlers WITH PERSONALITIES too! Who would have thought? It doesn't have to turn into WWE (and I wouldn't want it to) but let's take what works in other sports and use it for the benefit of wrestling. 

I believe there is a way to do it, but no one has been able to break through. 

48 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

So then you're not really saying he got worse.  You're saying he didn't live up on expectations, i.e. he wasn't good as advertised.  You said he got worse which means he actually was better when he started.

Actually....I never said he got worse

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

You said yourself: "Wittlake has gotten worse since he arrived."

If not the weight drop, how do you explain why a blue chip recruit being coached by a living legend of the sport, the GOAT John Smith, "has gotten worse since he arrived"?  Again, your words, not mine.

I explain it as some reason other than weight drop, since the weight drop hasn't happened yet.  Whatever it is I hope it is turned around in the matches that count.

44 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Whoops.  Got you and boconnel mixed up. You sound the same.

Wrong again. I never once commented whether he has improved/declined in the year he has been at OSU, I simply stated the weights he has wrestled in the summer before and after. Try yet again. 

Man, for someone that likes to stir the pot as much as you, you need to up your game. Weak sauce. 

Some random thoughts:

1) Did some new Italian restaurants open up in Stillwater besides The Olive Garden? Piccinni, Mastrogiovani, Ferrari. These names scream out Rutgers to me.

2) How long before this kid is teching some poor kid when the cliche announcer says, "this kid is Ram tough but he is racing against a Ferrari..."

3) What happened to the Okie State can't compete for recruits because of their poor facilities crowd? This class is shaping up to be historic.

10 hours ago, Greatdane67 said:

Some random thoughts:

1) Did some new Italian restaurants open up in Stillwater besides The Olive Garden? Piccinni, Mastrogiovani, Ferrari. These names scream out Rutgers to me.

2) How long before this kid is teching some poor kid when the cliche announcer says, "this kid is Ram tough but he is racing against a Ferrari..."

3) What happened to the Okie State can't compete for recruits because of their poor facilities crowd? This class is shaping up to be historic.

Edited by HokieHWT

7 minutes ago, Greatdane67 said:

Some random thoughts:

Top notch recruits =/= nop notch college programs.

At one point Kaid Brock was supposed to.be a 4xer after sticking the returning national champ early his true frosh season.

Injuries happen. People grow. Sometimes they don't wrestle the right weight class.

Ferrari for example? Even if he redshirts he'll likely be coming in as the smallest and youngest right into the deep end of the deepest crop of heavyweights we've ever had.

Steveson, Kerkvliet, Schultz, Parris, Hillger, Elam, Cassiopi, etc. Not to mention Amos, other legit heavy recruits like Copass, and the other guys already up at heavy giving the ole college try a go.

If the plan is for him to go 197 a rather similar argument can be made, just not as worldly prolific, but just as talented.

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

He wrestled 170 in the USAW season his senior year, and 74kg (<163lbs) at the US open exactly five months ago, where he performed well enough to place fifth as a college freshman, and then again later at the junior world trials.

I think we all are aware of a one tournament weight in vs an entire season weight cut...right?  If he can handle it great - but let's not pretend it's not a big cut for him. And have you read his interview from this summer where he said it was a huge cut that did affect his performance? Said if he had to do it again he would go 79kg. 

Edited by Idaho

9 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Top notch recruits =/= nop notch college programs.

At one point Kaid Brock was supposed to.be a 4xer after sticking the returning national champ early his true frosh season.

Injuries happen. People grow. Sometimes they don't wrestle the right weight class.

Ferrari for example? Even if he redshirts he'll likely be coming in as the smallest and youngest right into the deep end of the deepest crop of heavyweights we've ever had.

Steveson, Kerkvliet, Schultz, Parris, Hillger, Elam, Cassiopi, etc. Not to mention Amos, other legit heavy recruits like Copass, and the other guys already up at heavy giving the ole college try a go.

If the plan is for him to go 197 a rather similar argument can be made, just not as worldly prolific, but just as talented.

Ferrari has said that he wants to get up to 250 to 255 of solid weight.  If he can do that over the next two years I think he will be right in the mix for a heavyweight title during his career.  This kid moves so well that if he has the power he will be tough to beat.

22 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Ferrari has said that he wants to get up to 250 to 255 of solid weight.  If he can do that over the next two years I think he will be right in the mix for a heavyweight title during his career.  This kid moves so well that if he has the power he will be tough to beat.

Agree. He will be "in the mix". 

9 hours ago, Idaho said:

I think we all are aware of a one tournament weight in vs an entire season weight cut...right?  If he can handle it great - but let's not pretend it's not a big cut for him. And have you read his interview from this summer where he said it was a huge cut that did affect his performance? Said if he had to do it again he would go 79kg. 

As I said before, I'm not commenting on performance or anything, and I'm certainly not pretending anything, just listed the weights he has wrestled at recently.  Leaving the pretending to others....

Gaining 15% or so of mass can completely change a wrestler in every way, not to mention saying you're going to compete at the highest level of folkstyle in the highest weight possible? Let him get a deep for college heavies before you buy the koolaid and chug it.

Edited by nhs67
Fat fingers...

15 hours ago, bestclockmakeronmars said:

The same people who claim to want the sport of wrestling to grow and become mainstream are the same people who clown the ones trying to make that a reality. I'm not a fan of Ferrari (his social media, way he portrays himself, etc.) but at least people are interested. I think the interesting people in the sport do not get the push because they obviously don't have the accolades as the top level wrestlers. Which is why someone with both gets so much attention,  such as PD3. We've always had characters in the sport but they've rarely been at the highest level, which leaves the general public thinking all wrestlers are meatheads with nothing to say except the same old boring cliches.

David Taylor,  J'den Cox, Daton Fix, etc. are not helping wrestling become mainstream. Rudis is not making wrestling mainstream. FloWrestling is not making wrestling mainstream. They are helping the casual fan enjoy more variety and gain access to their favorite wrestlers but that is all.

An example that I think helps explain my point better is Dylan Palacio - this kid gives a great impromptu motivational speech after beating Kemerer a few years back at NCAA's. The only thing that makes that speech better is primetime ESPN after a finals national championship victory. But we're never going to see Jason Nolf give a speech like that. 

My point of writing this post (I've been a lurker on these forums for years) is not to bash someone's approach or lifestyle. A majority of wrestlers are great role models for young (and old) to look up to and find that daily motivation towards the greater goal. And flo, rudis, and every wrestling podcast/website (Bloodround, Inside Trip) are doing their best to promote the sport, but it doesn't mean they are gaining Larry's. 

You want more scholarships, you want more mainstream coverage, you want more access, but you don't want wrestlers enjoying the process and comfortable being themselves. 

These kids all grew up with social media and cell phones yet you don't want them seeking opinions of their peers regarding thoughts on their future athletic/academic careers. 

If you really think an "exclusive" interview with Kyle Snyder (or anyone else with nothing new to say) helps grow the sport better than any "Chow with Rau" video you need to step into the future. 

And that's the thing! There are high level wrestlers WITH PERSONALITIES too! Who would have thought? It doesn't have to turn into WWE (and I wouldn't want it to) but let's take what works in other sports and use it for the benefit of wrestling. 

I believe there is a way to do it, but no one has been able to break through. 

In for more Chow with Rau.