Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

With these recruits is it "do or die" time for John Smith?

Insane to act like John has to win a title by the end of this classes' true freshman year.

As an OSU fan I would be open from moving on from John if you can give me the list of all the other coaches we could snag who have been reeling off national championships this past decade. 

52 minutes ago, osufan12 said:

Insane to act like John has to win a title by the end of this classes' true freshman year.

As an OSU fan I would be open from moving on from John if you can give me the list of all the other coaches we could snag who have been reeling off national championships this past decade. 

Funny you mention that, because I (and I've been saying this for a while) don't believe Cael's made his last move...I suspect he's going to start looking for challenges, if Oklahoma State ever slips too far, and uses T. Boone's inheritance to give him a nice salary increase and use of Air Cowboy One when he wants it.

I wouldn't be willing to bet the farm on that, but I do believe we'll see him move onto other (maybe greener) pastures before he's finished coaching.

1 hour ago, osufan12 said:

I mean clearly no one who has been reeling off national championships - you obviously know that Cael has dominated the last decade.

What you could have is a star young gun...think Burroughs, Dake, Taylor, Snyder type wrestler who is fresh off competing....with true star power that kids these days know and love.  I get John Smith is a legend but the young crop of wrestler has no idea who he is.  They know and worship JB, Dake, Taylor, Sndyer, etc.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I mean clearly no one who has been reeling off national championships - you obviously know that Cael has dominated the last decade.

What you could have is a star young gun...think Burroughs, Dake, Taylor, Snyder type wrestler who is fresh off competing....with true star power that kids these days know and love.  I get John Smith is a legend but the young crop of wrestler has no idea who he is.  They know and worship JB, Dake, Taylor, Sndyer, etc.

Acting like the young crop of wrestlers has no idea who John Smith is is about as insane as acting like he has to win a national title by the time his stud class is done with their true freshman year. 

Actually it is a lot more insane. 

Edited by osufan12

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

You can't honestly believe this.

I do.  Go ask a bunch of 8th-12th grade wrestlers who they think John Smith is.  They will likely answer "that dude in Pocahontas!"

I'm sure they know who David "Magic Man" Taylor is though.

8 minutes ago, pamela said:

Must be the same way a bunch of 8th-12th grade baseball players would have no clue who Babe Ruth is, but would only know someone recent like Mike Trout.

Yeah, because John Smith is as widely known to the public as Babe Ruth.  People that have never touched a baseball know who Babe Ruth is.  As I said, the Pocahontas John Smith is better known than the John Smith at OK State.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Yeah, because John Smith is as widely known to the public as Babe Ruth.  People that have never touched a baseball know who Babe Ruth is.  As I said, the Pocahontas John Smith is better known than the John Smith at OK State.

So your thought is that one of the best recruiting classes ever signed up with OSU because they like a character from a disney princess movie?

I swear your idiocy knows no bounds.  

17 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

We’re not talking about the general public, we’re talking about high performing participants in a sport (you know, like the caliber of athlete who would be recruited by Ok State) knowing one of the GOATs in their sport.

Do 8th-12th grade baseball players know who Roger Clemens is? The ones in my family do.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I do.  Go ask a bunch of 8th-12th grade wrestlers who they think John Smith is.  They will likely answer "that dude in Pocahontas!"

I'm sure they know who David "Magic Man" Taylor is though.

I’m around 8-12th grade athletes all the time. You’re wrong. (Yet again)

Edited by Lurker

32 minutes ago, pamela said:

We’re not talking about the general public, we’re talking about high performing participants in a sport (you know, like the caliber of athlete who would be recruited by Ok State) knowing one of the GOATs in their sport.

Do 8th-12th grade baseball players know who Roger Clemens is? The ones in my family do.

Maybe they heard of him...but I bet they have  better idea of who Bryce Harper is and would be more excited to play for him than Clemens.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Maybe they heard of him...but I bet they have  better idea of who Bryce Harper is and would be more excited to play for him than Clemens.

So you are moving the goalposts? Earlier it was kids have no idea who John Smith was and now it is they would rather wrestle for someone younger?

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

You also believe the wrestlers don’t know who John Smith is, so....

1 minute ago, osufan12 said:

So you are moving the goalposts? Earlier it was kids have no idea who John Smith was and now it is they would rather wrestle for someone younger?

He’s always moving in the goal posts.(kinda like 1-2 years went to 3-4 and then 7-8).  You can’t be a troll if you’re just going to simply admit you’re wrong.  

9 minutes ago, osufan12 said:

Nope.  Someone asserted there are no better options out there to replace a GOAT like Smith.  I'm saying kids these days are more likely to connect with a younger star they have actually seen wrestle.  They've seen guys like Snyder or Dake wrestle this year. They likely haven't watched a video (if it even exists) of John Smith wrestling in the 1987 World Championships.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Nope.  Someone asserted there are no better options out there to replace a GOAT like Smith.  I'm saying kids these days are more likely to connect with a younger star they have actually seen wrestle.  They've seen guys like Snyder or Dake wrestle this year. They likely haven't watched a video (if it even exists) of John Smith wrestling in the 1987 World Championships.

Your exact words were they had no idea who John Smith is. Which is all sorts of crazy. I have no idea where he ranks on the influential scale verse Dake/Snyder with kids today but he is still very well known and yes high-level kids do watch his matches. It is like saying high school kids today are influenced by Michael Jordan. 

19 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

They have no idea who he is.....they may know who he is but he doesn't excite today's wrestlers.....now they know who he is but the kids prefer someone who is still wrestling and never coached.  Also they've probably never watched him on video, because it may not exist.  

Guess what, it exists.

25 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Do we know that those guys can coach? KJ was also a 3x World Champ and he didn't produce championship teams just because he had that success. For different reasons, there was tons of hype behind Zeke going to ASU and a ton of talent followed him, but from where I am standing it doesn't look like he would be an improvement for OSU. You seem to think that attracting kids and being a former world champ guarantees that you will be a great coach, but there are several examples where that is not the case. When you are a school like Iowa or Okie St and are finishing in trophy position damn near every year, then that chances are much higher that you actually going take a step back instead of drastically improving. 

1 hour ago, pamela said:

Must be the same way a bunch of 8th-12th grade baseball players would have no clue who Babe Ruth is, but would only know someone recent like Mike Trout.

The Sultan of Swat, The King of Crash, The Colossus of Clout, BABE RUTH!!!

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

What are the chances a top 100 recruit in the country doesn't know who John Smith is and what he accomplished? I would say 0%