TBar1977

The Open Mat Rankings

6 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Can someone explain to me how The Open Mat has Humphreys as the #5 ranked 157 in the NCAA???

https://news.theopenmat.com/college-rankings/ncaa-di-individual-college-wrestling-rankings-october-2nd-2019/74886

Good question.  And Artalona down at 9 beneath some guys he out performed last year, had a good off season...

One of the open mat guys I guess.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Can someone explain to me how The Open Mat has Humphreys as the #5 ranked 157 in the NCAA???

https://news.theopenmat.com/college-rankings/ncaa-di-individual-college-wrestling-rankings-october-2nd-2019/74886

Wrestlestat has him at #6 so maybe not so crazy.  I think Hidlay is solid at #1 but this could be a pretty interesting weight.  A good amount of  talented youth also.

1 minute ago, tommytechnique said:

Wrestlestat has him at #6 so maybe not so crazy.  I think Hidlay is solid at #1 but this could be a pretty interesting weight.  A good amount of  talented youth also.

I think it is partly based on him winning EIWA and partly because some of the better 157's have never started. I have a half dozen guys that I think can pass him. 

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

I think it is partly based on him winning EIWA and partly because some of the better 157's have never started. I have a half dozen guys that I think can pass him. 

That's kind of the norm though isn't it, guys don't get ranked very high before they step out on the mat, regardless of their HS resume.  For example the world champ is ranked behind him, but the champ hasn't wrestled a varsity match yet.

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That's kind of the norm though isn't it, guys don't get ranked very high before they step out on the mat, regardless of their HS resume.  For example the world champ is ranked behind him, but the champ hasn't wrestled a varsity match yet.

Yes, but he's a guy with a 10-6 dual meet record so he jumped off the page. 

8 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Let's not forget Lehigh's insane dual schedule last year.  Humphreys' 10-6 dual schedule included 11 national qualifiers.  He went 6-5 v the NCAA qualifier pool, beating the eventual 7th placer and two R12s...

Humphreys.jpg

Edited by lu_alum

16 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Let's not forget Lehigh's insane dual schedule last year.  Humphreys' 10-6 dual schedule included 11 national qualifiers.  He went 6-5 v the NCAA qualifier pool, beating the eventual 7th placer and two R12s...

Humphreys.jpg

I think he is a good wrestler.

**** I cannot wait to see the impact Marstellar has on the Lehigh mid weights.  Humphreys is built a lot like Marstellar, (who always gave up Height and Reach), but was very successful.  I have not been able to get to PA yet this season and visit "the room" like usual, but I will be travelling there on business in November.  I am hearing great things.  I am also hoping Gallick can make and hold 165 as he is a real pinner who could benefit from working with Marstellar on his feet.  I also looking forward to how True Frosh Ruth will benefit from a daily mix of Marstellar and Kutler.    

On 10/3/2019 at 2:19 PM, TBar1977 said:

Who could you rank ahead of him?

I'm assuming you're thinking of Berge, but Berge was seeded lower and finished lower at a lower weight. I wouldn't be surprised to see Berge outplace him at all, but he hasn't earned a higher preseason ranking.

22 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Who could you rank ahead of him?

I'm assuming you're thinking of Berge, but Berge was seeded lower and finished lower at a lower weight. I wouldn't be surprised to see Berge outplace him at all, but he hasn't earned a higher preseason ranking.

I don't want to go down the "these aren't predictions they are rankings" rabbit hole, but there are a half dozen guys I like as much or better. Carr, Teemer, Rahmani, Berge and a couple others maybe. 

Edited by TBar1977

49 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I don't want to go down the "these aren't predictions they are rankings" rabbit hole, but there are a half dozen guys I like as much or better. Carr, Teemer, Rahmani, Berge and a couple others maybe. 

I mean, same (excluding Rahmani), but you know these are rankings and not predictions, so why are you complaining?