I think the new weigh in rules are going to make things interesting for the guys who are currently in between Olympic weights. Dake says he is going down to 74kg, but this 74kg isn't the same as the last time he wrestled there. It's 5kg down with same day weigh-ins along with a second day weigh-in with no allowance. That's a lot different than making 74kg once the day before. Add onto that the fact that he (and other guys who moved up from Olympic weights), have been up for two years. I'm sure he will make the weight and has a great plan to do so, but going from 79 to 74 in a little over six months is a significant challenge for all of these guys, especially under the current weigh-in rules. The days of someone like Coleman Scott sucking hard down to weight one last time with a full day to recover are over. I will be interested in seeing how all these guys adapt and how it affects the choices these in-between guys make.

Edited by IronChef

6 hours ago, scribe said:

Dake doesn’t seem to struggle to get to 74. Cox will probably struggle a bit more to 86. 

Why do you say that? It's been a while since he was at 74 and he seems a full size 79. You might be right-- I think it's happened before-- but how do you know?

Didn't Dake said in an interview after worlds last year that he weighed in under 79kilos for day two?  A lot can change in a year but I don't think 74 is a huge cut compared to the other US wrestlers cutting down. 

I think dake will be fine. When trying to bulk up he still walks at 76-77kg. He could make 74 same day even at his 79kg weigh in size. 

Cox isn’t going 86 for the reasons stated. There is just no way he can make the same day and have any energy. He wouldn’t even make our team at 86. I think he is better than Taylor, or at least is better head to head. Doesn’t matter though if he is exhausted. That is Taylor made (HA) for Taylor to win.  

I bet we see Cox going to 97kg. He has a legitimate shot at taking out Snyder and would likely be a slight underdog (maybe +150-200). 

I really had hoped that Snyder would progress further by this point.  However, results are showing that he may have actually regressed.   If so, Cox will be the USA's next best chance at 97kg.  If Snyder can get his athleticism back, and quit trying to be the incredible bulk, he may return to his form.  

2 hours ago, treep2000 said:

I really had hoped that Snyder would progress further by this point.  However, results are showing that he may have actually regressed.   If so, Cox will be the USA's next best chance at 97kg.  If Snyder can get his athleticism back, and quit trying to be the incredible bulk, he may return to his form.  

There isn't much evidence he has regressed. Other people are just also really good at wrestling. He has literally only lost at worlds to legendary guys and is 1-1 against the current world champ. His wins domestically are only getting more and more impressive.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

There isn't much evidence he has regressed. Other people are just also really good at wrestling. He has literally only lost at worlds to legendary guys and is 1-1 against the current world champ. His wins domestically are only getting more and more impressive.

Fair point.  But... In terms of improving, or improvement, he should be distancing himself from the field instead of staying relatively "even".  

I don't think it's that controversial to suggest Snyder has regressed a bit. I sure think so. That's no knock on him. You can never take away the amazing things he's done and he's absolutely in the conversation for a gold medal every year even now, but he is no longer the favorite and the field has gained on him more than staying even. 

Last month at Worlds, Snyder beat Khatri (IND) 10-0, Ibragimov (UZB) 13-3, then lost a tough semi to Sharifov 5-2. But then Kyle beat Odikadze (GEO) 5-0 for the bronze.  Sharifov wrestled a smart match and caught Kyle when the opening was there, twice. Kyle was winning 1-0 at the half. Like everyone else, really wanted to see how Kyle would match up with Sadulaev again.

As far as the OP and dropping a weight class, what about going up? Look at Sharifov. The guy wins Olympic gold at 86kg and now he looks huge at 97kg. Thought he looked as big, if not bigger and as strong as Kyle at 97.  

On 10/3/2019 at 2:43 PM, IronChef said:

I think the new weigh in rules are going to make things interesting for the guys who are currently in between Olympic weights. Dake says he is going down to 74kg, but this 74kg isn't the same as the last time he wrestled there. It's 5kg down with same day weigh-ins along with a second day weigh-in with no allowance. That's a lot different than making 74kg once the day before. Add onto that the fact that he (and other guys who moved up from Olympic weights), have been up for two years. I'm sure he will make the weight and has a great plan to do so, but going from 79 to 74 in a little over six months is a significant challenge for all of these guys, especially under the current weigh-in rules. The days of someone like Coleman Scott sucking hard down to weight one last time with a full day to recover are over. I will be interested in seeing how all these guys adapt and how it affects the choices these in-between guys make.

I hope Dake reads this before it's too late so he knows what he's in for. Probably  unaware of these new rules.

On 10/4/2019 at 12:41 AM, Gantry said:

Didn't Dake said in an interview after worlds last year that he weighed in under 79kilos for day two?  A lot can change in a year but I don't think 74 is a huge cut compared to the other US wrestlers cutting down. 

Yeah, off the top of my head he claimed he was 3 kilos under. I don't believe it.