Sign in to follow this  
lu1979

Ohio State This season

Ohio State is a very interesting team this upcoming season.  They only return 2 proven point scorers at the NCAA level K Moore (2/4/3) and Luke Pletcher (4/4).  However Tom Ryan's team has an extremely strong group of new talent.  They have nine very high level recruits on their roster - 5 RS Freshman and 4 true freshman that could end up starting.  Their lineup possibilities:

125 - Most likely M Heinselman So.starts - If he is filled out into the weight he could be an AA contender. 

133 - Pletcher of J Decatur tF if LP goes 141

141 - Q Kinner RSF of D D'Emilio tF if LP stays at 133

149 - K Hayes Sn or S Sasso RSF  I think whoever comes out on top for this weight can contend for a title here.  This wt is wide open.

157 - Hayes Sasso or J Mattox RSF  I expect the loser of the 149 spot will be here.  

165 K Romero So or true freshman C Karchla - If Karchla looks good enough will they start him? I think this kid will be amazing but it is a brutal weight.

174 E Smith So or R Jordon RSF - Can Rocky emerge as an AA threat?  He will have to be to beat out Smith who I think could contend for AA honors this year.

184 G Hoffman RSF 

197 - K Moore Sn - Favorite to win it all this year

Hvywt - C Singletary or G Kerkvliet tF - Singletary is a top 15 guy - do the bring out Kerkvliet? - If they do he may have finalist potential. Both guys are on the U23 team so we may not see either of them at the start of the season.

This is a very young team and I can't wait to see how these young stars compete this year.  

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

This is a very young team and I can't wait to see how these young stars compete this year.  

Agreed.  I don't think they can realistically challenge the top 2, but a trophy isn't out of the question.  

It should be a fun season.  The last 3 years were kind of an uphill battle for the Bucks. Tons of success, and probably the best 3 year stretch in program history, and still you've got this PSU behemoth that you can't quite get past.  Has any team ever scored 320 team points across 3 seasons and not won a title in any of them?

Anyway, this year feels like a bit of a clean slate.  Time to see what the kids can do.  

7 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I thought word was Hayes will go down to 141?

Regardless, will be interesting to see which freshman wins a national title and then never win one again.

Or which one will become a four time champ, or 4 time finalist/three time champ.

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

My point Is they have just as many athletes in the category I used. But let’s focus on what allows us to throw shade. That’s more fun!

Just a joke, man. I was pulling for both those guys and can't think of two better representatives of the sport.

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Flo Willie said Heinselman still looks small. That guy is still pretty dang quick and good even if that's the case. 

I'm pretty sure he certified for 141, which means he weighed over 133 for certifications.  That bodes well for a size bump this year. 

I think Jordan is vying for 184 and not 174 per the tOSU board. 

Edited by Gantry

My guess is that Coach Ryan will end up moving guys around and pulling a few redshirts to create the best possible lineup.  He doesn't like to put a lesser team on the mat when he has the talent to be a top tier team.  Personally, I think he needs to learn patience but this is how he rolls.  

125: Heinselman

133: Decatur

141: Pletcher 

149: Hayes 

157: Sasso

165: Ethan Smith if he can make it.  And eventually they put Kharchla out there after he destroys everyone in opens.

174: Rock Jordan or Ethan Smith

184: Gavin Hoffman

197: Moore

Hvy:  Singletary or Kerkvliet.  

The big moves will be Pletcher to 141 and Sasso to 157.  The question, of course, is will either of these moves cost either wrestler a national title?  

The projected lineup I've seen is:

133: Pletcher

141: Hayes

149: Sasso

157: Mattox/Cleary

165: Ethan Smith/Romero

174: Rocky Jordan/Ethan Smith

184: Hoffman

Hvy:  Kerkvliet.

The best lineup that they can put out this year is:

125-Heinselman

133-Pletcher

141-Kinner

149-Sasso

157-Mattox

165-Smith

174-Jordan

184-Hoffman

197-Moore

285-Kerkvliet

A few thoughts and scenario to consider:

-If Hayes cannot make 141 and they're not too confident in Kinner, then they may do the Decatur to start at 133 and Pletcher to give 141 a go(where he is an instant contender for a NC).
-If Hayes beats out Sasso for 149, expect Sasso to challenge for 157, which I am not entirely certain that Mattox beats out Cleary as it is.
-I expect Romero to and Smith to give it everything in their wrestleoff...
-Somehow IF Sasso loses 149 and 157 wrestleoffs(I don't think he'd lose either) I wouldn't be at all shocked or surprised to see him give an effort towards 141(if his alpha allows) or even 165.  If he beats them he beats them amirite?
-Singletary is an alternate for them at heavy OR 197.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Moore take a night or two off to save him a cut if it's an easy out. Same can be said for Kerk, if he needs rest from the rigors.  Still not sold on Kerk's knee.
-I expect Hoffman to contend for a mid-AA placement right out of the gate.
-I expect Heinselman to place.  Freestyle =/= folkstyle, however he showed his talent by losing only to Arujau.  If he can get out from bottom, he can very well beat returning AA such as Glory or Foley.
-Rocky Jordan will place and continue the streak of Jordan bros pulling AA duty at Ohio State(dating back to Bo his rs-fr year at 165).

I'm hoping for this lineup:

125 - Malik - R12+

133 - pletcher - Top 4-6

141 - Hayes - Top 4-6

149 - Sasso - Top 4-6

157 - mattox - NQ

165 - Romero (kharchla keeps his shirt on) - NQ

174 - Smith / Jordan - R12+

184 - Hoffman - Top 8

197 - Moore. - Natty Champ

Hvy - Kerkvliet - Top 4-6

Not saying that these guys will place this high.  Just saying they have the potential to do so

The best lineup the Bucks could possibly field for this year would look like this:

125-Heinselman- Possible low AA

133-Pletcher-National title contender.  Fix and Suriano likely to redshirt.  Unsure what version of Seth Gross we see coming off of injury.

141-Hayes-He said his best weight is 149 but if he does not win the wrestle off he will try to make 141.  If he can do is and still have energy I think he is top 4 at 141.

149-Sasso-National title contender.  Obviously very talented but what I like most is his attitude/approach.  

157-Cleary/Mattox-Jaden Mattox was the more highly touted recruit but Cleary outperformed him this summer (albeit in freestyle).  Cleary has wins over Lewan and Rahmani (in freestyle).  Either looks like a round of 12 maybe low AA type.

165-Karchla-Top four if he goes right away.  I would like to see him get the redshirt and come out next year and contend for a title.  

174-Rocky Jordan-Hasn't competed a lot since coming to the Bucks but he has the pedigree.  Word was he looked great in the room last year prior to injury.  Not as much of a finished product coming out of high school as Bo or Micky but lots of upside.  Rumblings that he may be too big for 174.  If he can make the weight and is as good as avertised I would expect low to mid AA.

184-Hoffman-Great recruit but to be honest I was a little concerned with his results last year.  Hopefully a year in the room will allow him to become more consistent.

197-Moore-I hope KM steps ups and wins a title this year and I have a feeling he'll have to beat an improved Kyle Conel to do it.  I liked Conel's Cinderella story 2 years ago and the fact that he was from Ohio.  Him leaving Kent and going to Penn State felt like a Durant to Golden State move and made him considerably less likable (yes I'm a hater). 

285-Kerkviliet-I think he's top four right now.  Tough to say how he would fair against Gable or Cassar but if the plan is to have him go right away TR must feel like he's ready 

The lineup I think we are likely to see this year is this one:

125-Heinselman

133-Decatur-Word is he looks very good in the room but I'm concerned with his mat wrestling.  He could pull some upsets  but I don't know that I see him being consistent enough this year to reach AA.

141-Pletcher-Initially thought he would be undersized here but his summer freestyle results at 65 kg (beating Eirman once and taking him to the wire in the other matches) made me rethink this.  I see him as top four here and maybe even a title contender with Yianni in redshirt.

149-Hayes- I think Keyshawn is top four here.  He's always been a company man and would love to see him at his ideal weight.

157-Sasso-Sammy looked big this summer and competed well against guys who will likely be at 157.  I see him as a national title contender here or at 149.

165-Talk about Ethan Smith pulling down to 165 or maybe we see Mattox or Cleary here.  Alot of people felt Romero underperformed at 165 last year before Campbell dropped but I heard that the weight cut played a big part in that.  Look for him to move up.

174-I think this could be Romero or Smith.  Lots of talk that Rocky is too big and will challenge at 184.

184-Most people presume that this is Hoffman's spot to lose but if Rocky Jordan is in fact challenging here I think he is your guy.

197-Moore all day.  Singletary moving down next year but KM the man.

285-Kerk says he is going so I guess that's the plan.  I would prefer to see him use his redshirt, add weight, and get his knee healthy but I don't get a vote.  

On 10/4/2019 at 1:16 PM, Erminio8 said:

The projected lineup I've seen is:

133: Pletcher

141: Hayes

149: Sasso

157: Mattox/Cleary

165: Ethan Smith/Romero

174: Rocky Jordan/Ethan Smith

184: Hoffman

Hvy:  Kerkvliet.

I think this with the exception of heavy is what I would predict. Kerk needs to rest his knee IMO and there is no reason to rush it when you have Singletary ready to go. Take the year to heal more and learn with kyle and company. A solid team but still likely a tick behind Penn State and Iowa so no need to burn Red Shirts IMO. With this lineup I predict they would AA at 133, 141, 149, 174 and 197 (heavy with Kerk, maybe with Single but I wouldn't bank on it). Again, solid team that contends for a trophy but no where near enough horse power to break into the top 2.

On 10/5/2019 at 9:32 AM, treep2000 said:

I'm hoping for this lineup:

125 - Malik - R12+

133 - pletcher - Top 4-6

141 - Hayes - Top 4-6

149 - Sasso - Top 4-6

157 - mattox - NQ

165 - Romero (kharchla keeps his shirt on) - NQ

174 - Smith / Jordan - R12+

184 - Hoffman - Top 8

197 - Moore. - Natty Champ

Hvy - Kerkvliet - Top 4-6

Not saying that these guys will place this high.  Just saying they have the potential to do so

Pletcher, Hayes, Sasso and Kerklevit could all place top 3. I think you are underselling them a bit. 

Good write up 

Edited by Housebuye

I really think going Decatur at 133 with Pletch at 141 Hayes 149 and Sasso 157 is the best lineup.   Sure Pletch at 133, Hayes at 141 and Sasso at 149 all look great on paper but I think all three would really struggle with the weight.  Hayes is on record saying 149 is best for him, Pletch looked great at 143 this offseason and Willie mentioned Sasso had issues getting down to 154 on a recent FRL.  While the ceiling is highest with them all at lower weights, I think the weight cut would adversely affect all of them by March.  Focus on the wrestling and not the weight cutting.

Edited by Gantry

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Pletcher, Hayes, Sasso and Kerklevit could all place top 3. I think you are underselling them a bit. 

Good write up 

By top 4-6, I was suggesting that they could get anywhere from 1st thru 6th.  I was typing on .my phone while moving boxes and didn't have much time to get my thoughts down.