Jimmy Cinnabon

Is AJ Ferrari a one trick pony?

Admittedly I haven't seen the guy wrestle much but from watching highlights it seems like his go-to move is his low blast double.  It looks awesome - JB like in effectiveness.  Is this his primary move or does he have other takedowns?  How is he on top?

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

5 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Geez. Anthony Cassar won the hwt. class last year with predominantly that move. 

Go back and watch that sweet misdirection snatch single against White in the NCAA finals, right to his back.  Cassar has a few more tricks in his bag than a blast double.

I actually wouldn't even say it's his best attack. He has a really good left handed single leg. It may sound weird at first, but he reminds me a lot of Michael Kemerer. They have very similar stances motion and attacks.

Check out his match with Patrick Kennedy where he first burst onto the scene: 

Ferrari is the next Jacob Warner.  All the skill and accomplishments in the world.  Blue Chip as can be.  But, struggles to put it together to reach his full potential.  Save this post for a few years and let's see how I do. 

14 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Ferrari is the next Jacob Warner.  All the skill and accomplishments in the world.  Blue Chip as can be.  But, struggles to put it together to reach his full potential.  Save this post for a few years and let's see how I do. 

I disagree. I think the bald guy in the tshirt sitting matside in the Christenson video is Aj's father.  If AJ gets on his Dad's lifting program he is going to be a big heavyweight and with his motion he will be deadly at that weight.  I think he will be a multi X AA and NC at heavyweight.  I just hope OSU doesn't try to discourage him from bulking up.  He has stated that that is his plan so I assume the OSU coaches are on board with that.

I actually wouldn't even say it's his best attack. He has a really good left handed single leg. It may sound weird at first, but he reminds me a lot of Michael Kemerer. They have very similar stances motion and attacks.

Dang, if only Minnesota could keep all of its best kids in state.

52 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Will do. Considering Warner himself was already an AA as a freshman which is more than a lot of “blue chips” can say, this has the potential to be an all-time bad take.

Honestly I think it depends on his mindset in college.  Either he comes in with an attitude thinking he's the best and winds up getting humbled by guys who've been around for a few years and don't have the same accolades but are just tough, or he comes in right away and dominates.  He could turn out to be really good, but maybe it's just the level of competition he had in high school wasn't so he was wrestling down or whatever.  I hope he does turn out to be decent in college.  But all the hoopla surrounding him made him sound like the next Cary Kolat or something.  

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

That was over 50lbs ago.

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

I disagree. I think the bald guy in the tshirt sitting matside in the Christenson video is Aj's father.  If AJ gets on his Dad's lifting program he is going to be a big heavyweight and with his motion he will be deadly at that weight.  I think he will be a multi X AA and NC at heavyweight.  I just hope OSU doesn't try to discourage him from bulking up.  He has stated that that is his plan so I assume the OSU coaches are on board with that.

Just like Gable Stevenson... No... Just like Cassioppi, no wait... Just like Kerkvliet... Oh wait... Just like Colton Schultz... He's beating all these guys?  Consistently too?  

57 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Will do. Considering Warner himself was already an AA as a freshman which is more than a lot of “blue chips” can say, this has the potential to be an all-time bad take.

I hope I'm wrong.  I like seeing things pan out.  Save the thread.  I have zero worry, concern, or heartache if I'm wrong.  All time bad take?  Nah... 

9 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Just like Gable Stevenson... No... Just like Cassioppi, no wait... Just like Kerkvliet... Oh wait... Just like Colton Schultz... He's beating all these guys?  Consistently too?  

Whether he beats any of those guys depends on how good he gets.  With the athletic ability he has shown and after watching how he wrestles I think, assuming he has the size,  he can be as good or better than all the guys you listed (except maybe Gable who seems to be on another level) He will only overlap Gable one year if he RS and Gable goes right through. I just think he has vast potential and could see him catching and passing many of the very promising heavyweights who are hitting college now.  

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

Whether he beats any of those guys depends on how good he gets.  With the athletic ability he has shown and after watching how he wrestles I think, assuming he has the size,  he can be as good or better than all the guys you listed (except maybe Gable who seems to be on another level) He will only overlap Gable one year if he RS and Gable goes right through. I just think he has vast potential and could see him catching and passing many of the very promising heavyweights who are hitting college now.  

We shall see!  

4 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

He moves the same way now. His style has changed 0%.

Against HS kiddos maybe.

He won't do that against the heavyweight crop that will be placing these next couple/few years.

6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Against HS kiddos maybe.

He won't do that against the heavyweight crop that will be placing these next couple/few years.

Last I checked, this topic was about him not having anything other than a double, not whether he will translate to the next level. That was the question I was answering. 

Just now, uncle bernard said:

Last I checked, this topic was about him not having anything other than a double, not whether he will translate to the next level. That was the question I was answering. 

Then you have your answer.

AJF as of now, without the bulk job, will not be translating that to NCAA.

If he adds appropriate bulk and it transitions well, he will. Cassar won NCAAs with it, essentially. Cassar has a lot more bulk without being much bigger, though.

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Then you have your answer.

AJF as of now, without the bulk job, will not be translating that to NCAA.

If he adds appropriate bulk and it transitions well, he will. Cassar won NCAAs with it, essentially. Cassar has a lot more bulk without being much bigger, though.

What are you talking about?

Just now, uncle bernard said:

What are you talking about?

Apologies my post was all over.

I am saying if he adds appropriate size(meaning keeps conditioning and functionality) he will do well enough to possibly win. Cassar did.

He wouldn't win heavies right now. 2 years on the cowboy bulk? He would.

As far as one trick pony? No. He has insane speed for his size as well. That is a game changer. Especially if he keeps it while gaining mass.