Jump to content
CoachWrestling

What teams are getting a trophy this year?

Recommended Posts

PSU and Iowa seem to be way ahead of the rest of the pack.  I think the most likely teams to fill in the next two spots are OSU, a very young Ohio St., ASU, or NC St.    - I don't think my old school, Lehigh is to far off this group but they will need some guys to step up this year to be top 4.  

My Picks are:

3rd - NC St w/ AA pts from both Hidlay bros, Wilson, Reenan, and possibly Camacho

and  

4th - OSU - w/ AA  points from Picc, Gfeller, Boo L Smith and Geer  

I hope Lehigh proves me wrong and can break into the top 4 this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I missing something? I don't see how Iowa comes in ahead of tOSU with their guys who will challenge for titles (Moore, Pletcher), new guys who could challenge for a title (Sasso, Kerkvleit), and other wildcards (Hayes, Karchla, Hoffman, etc.).

In Iowa, Lee has a chance to beat Riviera for a title and their 197 lber ain't bad, but after that you've got perennial choker Marinelli, a broken shell of Kemerer, a 133 lber that everyone will have figured out, The rest of the team is furniture. What am I missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone care to give this lineup a go for comparisons(with my projected high/low).  I know there are many folks here who are better/quicker with it and I'm not great with projected advancement/bonus points(which is how Penn State wins as easily as they do).  I am more interested in seeing the Ohio State-Iowa-NC State projections for min/max with these.

Again... I know it's a lot...

Penn State:
125-Teske R12
133-RBY 4-7
141-Lee 1-4
149-Verklereen 3-6
157-Berge 3-6
165-Venzo 1-4
174-Hall 1-3
184-Rasheed 6-R12
197-Conel 4-8
285-Cassar 1-4
Reasoning-Them going all-in on the season as well as my belief that Teske/Verk/Berge will make jumps and it will make it so they run away with it, with potentially 9 AA. I do believe Brooks and Beard would give them more overall team points, but it won't be needed unless Shak or Conel cannot get on the mat.

Iowa:
125-Lee 1
133-Teasdale 6-R12
141-Desanto 1-4
149-Lugo/Murin 6-R12
157-Young/Brands 5-8
165-Marinelli 1-8
174-Kemerer 1-4
184-Wilke R12-R16
197-Warner 1-8
285-Cass 4-R12
Reasoning: I think the coaching staff will see that Desanto at 141 is an immediate threat with hellacious bonus potential and it will cause Lugo/Murin to duke it out.  I think a 'soph' slump(I know he isn't a soph) from Young will happen and they'll bring in Brands on the occasion, perhaps permanently.  Unfortunately Marinelli and Warner haven't shown consistency when it has mattered most.  I can see them winning or getting 8th.  I am buying Lee, Teasdale, Kemerer, and Cass being legit contenders, Teasdale and Cass are just in two of the deepest weight classes.

Ohio State:
125-Heinselman 5-R12
133-Pletcher 1-4
141-Hayes 6-R12
149-Sasso 1-6
157-Mattox 6-R16
165-Smith 6-R16
174-Jordan 6-R16
184-Hoffman 3-7
197-Moore 1-4
285-Kerkvliet 1-6
Reasoning: I am buying Pletcher, Sasso, Moore, and Kerk being contenders.  I do believe Hoffman and Heinselman will turn heads.  I believe Jordan will continue the Jordan ways and medal.  I also believe that Smith, Mattox, Hayes, and Jordan all have a chance to medal, but more likely R12/R16.  Smith will be tough, Pletcher sort of tough, at 165, but will drop matches he shouldn't during the season(while keeping other matches close).

NC State:
125-Camacho 6-R16
133-Trombley 6-R16
141-Wilson 1-R12
149-Grippi 6-R16
157-Hidlay 1-4
165-Bullard 6-R16
174-Bullard 6-R16
184-Hidlay 2-4
197-Reenan 1-6
285-Wilson R12-NQ
Reasoning-NC State has some big potential.  I believe a healthy Reenan is a contender, and he'll prove that his Final X from last summer was no fluke.  The Bullard bros are tough as nails and with the right draw can place. I am sold on both Hidlay bros being contenders, even with Valencia there(Valencia is the obvious favorite).  I wouldn't be surprised to see any of Comacho, Trombley, and Grippi to do just as well as younger Hidlay does. 125 and 133 are going to be much deeper, so even with as successful of seasons they will likely place lower there. Tariq Wilson could win it or could R12 it.  Their heavy should qualify at least and could win a match or two.

Edited by nhs67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent stuff. You're even more bullish (Bullard -ish?) on NC St than I am. Would it be the first time 2 sets of brothers AA on the same team, same year, and if not this year, maybe next? State would be locked and loaded for 2021with Seniors H Hidlay, both Bullards, Reenan, Wilson, and settled at 125, 133, 184, and Hvy with Camacho, Trombley, T Hidlay and ? Somebody really good at 285?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gilgamesh said:

Excellent stuff. You're even more bullish (Bullard -ish?) on NC St than I am. Would it be the first time 2 sets of brothers AA on the same team, same year, and if not this year, maybe next? State would be locked and loaded for 2021with Seniors H Hidlay, both Bullards, Reenan, Wilson, and settled at 125, 133, 184, and Hvy with Camacho, Trombley, T Hidlay and ? Somebody really good at 285?

NC State tends to over perform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gilgamesh said:

Excellent stuff. You're even more bullish (Bullard -ish?) on NC St than I am. Would it be the first time 2 sets of brothers AA on the same team, same year, and if not this year, maybe next? State would be locked and loaded for 2021with Seniors H Hidlay, both Bullards, Reenan, Wilson, and settled at 125, 133, 184, and Hvy with Camacho, Trombley, T Hidlay and ? Somebody really good at 285?

Iowa early 80s a couple times Zalesky bros and Banach bros all were AA same year

Iowa early 90s a couple times Brands bros and Steiner bros all were AA same year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2019 at 10:04 PM, HokieHWT said:

I’d love to see VT but I only see Myers(7/8), Moore (7/8), McFadden (3/4), and Bolen (3/5) making a run. If Bolen gets hot I think he’s a finalist.

Don’t forget, we have two Moores this year. Hopefully Brent is healed up and adjusts to 149. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 9:15 AM, nhs67 said:


Iowa:
125-Lee 1
133-Teasdale 6-R12
141-Desanto 1-4
149-Lugo/Murin 6-R12
157-Young/Brands 5-8
165-Marinelli 1-8
174-Kemerer 1-4
184-Wilke R12-R16
197-Warner 1-8
285-Cass 4-R12
Reasoning: I think the coaching staff will see that Desanto at 141 is an immediate threat with hellacious bonus potential and it will cause Lugo/Murin to duke it out.  I think a 'soph' slump(I know he isn't a soph) from Young will happen and they'll bring in Brands on the occasion, perhaps permanently.  Unfortunately Marinelli and Warner haven't shown consistency when it has mattered most.  I can see them winning or getting 8th.  I am buying Lee, Teasdale, Kemerer, and Cass being legit contenders, Teasdale and Cass are just in two of the deepest weight classes.


 

Just saw an interview with Tom Brands and he said Nelson will be at 165/174/184, so no 157 for him. I think Young can finish top 5 this year, I don't see him as a finalist, but he'll be solid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LU1979 posted: I don't think my old school, Lehigh is to far off this group but they will need some guys to step up this year to be top 4.

**** Agree. I am waiting to see what the addition of Marstellar to the coaching staff has on the middle weights.  

125: Paetzell (Jr): Paetzell rated around 15.  He is a scrapper.  Was too small at 133 last year.

133: Farro (Jr) : Rate around 16.  Split time between 125/133 last year.  A real bulldog/fireplug type of guy.  Not bad 2 NJ guys to start things off.

141: Uncertain as of yet.  Can Hoffman (So) make/hold the weight?  Beat Kolodzik in FS last year.  Otherwise, Pomrinca (Sr) or Moran (So) until Karam (Jr)  is ready to compete.

149: Hoffman/Moran: Until Karam is ready.

157: Humphreys (So):  R12 as true frosh.  Exceedingly Strong, gave Noll a good match until a late fall.  Looking for Marstellar to make an impact on his feet. Top 4.

165: Can Gallick (Sr) make and hold the weight?  Another project for Marstellar to impact.  Gallick is a real pinner. If not, then Meyer (Fr), tough NJ kid.

174: Kutler (Sr) : No need to say much more, 2X AA.  Will only get better because of Marstellar. Top 2.

184: Weiler (Jr): Finally at true weight class.  Strong, explosive, potential placer.

197: Jakobsen (Jr):  Really tough on top, needs to open up on feet. Potential placer.

285: Wood (Jr):  Top 2-3, very aggressive on feet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spencer Lee told the crowd at Kinnick Stadium last night that Iowa was going to win the NCAA Wrestling Championship this year. The crowd loved his prognostication. 

Then Penn State beat Iowa in the football game. 

I predict Spencer himself will win another title, but he is a better wrestler than soothsayer. 

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Spencer Lee told the crowd at Kinnick Stadium last night that Iowa was going to win the NCAA Wrestling Championship this year. The crowd loved his prognostication. 

Then Penn State beat Iowa in the football game. 

I predict Spencer himself will win another title, but he is a better wrestler than soothsayer. 

What did he say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 10:27 AM, KTG119 said:

Iowa early 80s a couple times Zalesky bros and Banach bros all were AA same year

Iowa early 90s a couple times Brands bros and Steiner bros all were AA same year

This is a classy forum so please be formal. it's the Dog Faced Gremlin and Big Poppa Pump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Lurker said:

What did he say?

Something to the effect of Iowa fans should buy their tickets for NCAA's because Iowa will be the 2020 National Champions. That is not an exact quote but there is a thread on HR where you can hear it verbatim. Thread title is something about Spencer having a big announcement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...