1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Seems weird to be basically alternating free and folk like that, probably confusing to the folks in attendance 

the higher ranked wrestler gets to choose the style. more and more of the elite teenage wrestlers in this country would prefer to wrestle free over folk. since the kids are under absolutely no obligation to participate in the event, Willie decided not to require the them all to wrestle in one style or another. but for sure it's a little off putting for the average fan. we tried to publicize the styles as much as possible, and Bryan Hazard, the PA in CHA, is making sure everyone in attendance knows what theyre wrestling before the start of each match. 

5 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

the higher ranked wrestler gets to choose the style. more and more of the elite teenage wrestlers in this country would prefer to wrestle free over folk. since the kids are under absolutely no obligation to participate in the event, Willie decided not to require the them all to wrestle in one style or another. but for sure it's a little off putting for the average fan. we tried to publicize the styles as much as possible, and Bryan Hazard, the PA in CHA, is making sure everyone in attendance knows what theyre wrestling before the start of each match. 

I’m fine with them choosing, but think it might make more sense to wrestle all matches of one style first (except the 4 man bracket I guess)

8 minutes ago, Chrissn2001 said:

I changed it to two years.

Yeah, that post was also dumb. You talked about if it isn't about PSU Championships they don't show up in a thread about an All star type event being hosted at Carver Hawkeye. 

2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Josh Saunders (Cornell? Mizzou?)

uh... is this ambiguous now? know he's taking an Olympic redshirt but I hadn't heard he might not be going to cornell after. 

Just now, ugarte said:

uh... is this ambiguous now? know he's taking an Olympic redshirt but I hadn't heard he might not be going to cornell after. 

I wasn't 100 percent sure where he is headed, hence the question marks. 

8 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Yeah, that post was also dumb. You talked about if it isn't about PSU Championships they don't show up in a thread about an All star type event being hosted at Carver Hawkeye. 

PD3 showed up more at worlds and a random all star event than an entire team that claims wrestling supremacy...Cael has no obligation to USA wrestling, so it's his battle to win...

11 hours ago, Chrissn2001 said:

PD3 showed up more at worlds and a random all star event than an entire team that claims wrestling supremacy...Cael has no obligation to USA wrestling, so it's his battle to win...

Penn State wrestling basically make no claims at all, they let their wrestling do the talking. Downey would get teched by a healthy DT. Of that I am sure. 

Edited by TBar1977

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Seems weird to be basically alternating free and folk like that, probably confusing to the folks in attendance 

Flo allowed the #1 guys to choose the style.  I thought it made for an interesting competition.

2 hours ago, ugarte said:

He isn't taking an Olympic Redshirt.  He is spending his senior year of High School at the Olympic training center just as Kyle Snyder and other wrestlers have done.  

8 hours ago, lu1979 said:

He isn't taking an Olympic Redshirt.  He is spending his senior year of High School at the Olympic training center just as Kyle Snyder and other wrestlers have done.  

Yup! Plus he will most likely go to Finger Lakes for a year, so we won’t see him at Cornell until 2021/22. I hope he goes right away though. 

As I said prior to his match yesterday, he is very good but he is going against a guy probably too 3-5 on our senior ladder. Put it this way - if it was Saunders vs. Molinaro, nobody would expect Saunders to score a point. 

He got smashed by someone who should smash him. I hope it doesn’t mess with his confidence. He has big potential 

Echemendia looked fantastic. Probably the best wrestler last nite. Can't wait to see him go against a top 5 college wrestler. 

If you wrestled last nite you are obviously very good, but one guy disappointed in the sense I thought he would be better. Alex Facundo. Is he the next Logan Massa? The guy others are catching up to and passing? Credit to Kennedy for his wrestling last night.

Edited by TBar1977

I beg to differ. Patrick Kennedy impressed me the most. To shut a beast like Facundo down like that--he gave him literally nothing--and then pressure him the way he did... He is D1 ready right now. I have been drinking the Koolaid on Facundo pretty hard and was pretty much shocked by that match. 

2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Echemendia looked fantastic. Probably the best wrestler last nite. Can't wait to see him go against a top 5 college wrestler. 

If you wrestled last nite you are obviously very good, but one guy disappointed in the sense I thought he would be better. Alex Facundo. Is he the next Logan Massa? The guy others are catching up to and passing? Credit to Kennedy for his wrestling last night.

Massa’s issues are mostly related to his injury. When he was injury free he placed 3rd in a stacked weight. Post injury he dropped to the next tier. Unfortunately for him at 165, especially for the last few years, the next tier of guys are not guaranteed to AA. At other weights he would be a 3 time AA.

im not worried about Facundo. He is a 2 time cadet bronze and even in his loss at cadet worlds, he was highly competitive. Medaling twice there at a tough weight means a lot. 

I expect that he makes and medals on a junior team at some point too. If he does, this is an excellent predictor of college success

I'm more curious to see how Echemendia does with an elite rider in a folkstyle match than to see him trounce HS kids in freestyle.  IMHO O'Toole was the OW of the event.  When he gets some man-muscles, he is going to be very difficult to beat if he can keep his style going.  I see him as a 174 or even a 184 by the time he's done growing.

If you’re a coach, who are you taking?  Even though he is older I’m still taking Echemendia.  So much talent there last night. Very quick and explosive athletes throughout.  We are progressing as a country very quickly in the last 10 years. Getting better and better.  

18 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

High School students take redshirts?

well I assume he has a red shirt at least. thanks for the corrections, all.

I doubt he goes to FLRTC after an Olympic training year. 

4 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

If you’re a coach, who are you taking?  Even though he is older I’m still taking Echemendia.  So much talent there last night. Very quick and explosive athletes throughout.  We are progressing as a country very quickly in the last 10 years. Getting better and better.  

I agree with the statement but I don’t think the US can claim Echemendia, hasn’t he only been here like a year?