Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNorth

WNO Supermatch: PD3 vs Nicky Rodriguez ?

Anybody know if this 'supermatch' is still going to happen?

Didn't see it on the 'complete match order breakdown' list posted yesterday, and I've seen zero mention of it, zero hype, on the stream so far tonight (which isn't like Flo not to hype.)

PD3 v Nick Rod is the next match. I understand some people's opinions about Downey but he remains extremely popular. also Rodriguez is very big in the bjj community right now. he's going to bring a lot of eyeballs to the event that otherwise would not pay attention. they both agreed to the match on less than a week notice. it's a big win for the sport imo. 

22 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

PD3 v Nick Rod is the next match. I understand some people's opinions about Downey but he remains extremely popular. also Rodriguez is very big in the bjj community right now. he's going to bring a lot of eyeballs to the event that otherwise would not pay attention. they both agreed to the match on less than a week notice. it's a big win for the sport imo. 

A win for what sport? Who is nick Rodriguez and why would anyone care about this match? 

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

A win for what sport? Who is nick Rodriguez and why would anyone care about this match? 

He is one of the best submission grappling guys in the world, coming away with silver at last weeks ADCC. ADCC is held every 2 years and considered the pinnacle of submission grappling. 

4 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

a win for wrestling. there are a lot of grappling fans in the world (check out flograppling's social media accounts, they are on par with flowrestling) and nick rodriguez just took silver at the biggest event in the sport of brazilian jiu-jitsu. if you're looking for wrestling fans, folks that are already into grappling is a prime demographic. 

44 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

He is one of the best submission grappling guys in the world, coming away with silver at last weeks ADCC. ADCC is held every 2 years and considered the pinnacle of submission grappling. 

He'd be a college Hwt. I doubt he could AA at the weight. 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Submission grappling is as relevant as Tae Kwan Do. Less relevant, actually, because the latter is an Olympic sport and the former is something with virtually zero fan support in the US. 

32 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Submission grappling is as relevant as Tae Kwan Do. Less relevant, actually, because the latter is an Olympic sport and the former is something with virtually zero fan support in the US. 

this is incorrect. guys can and do make a living competing in BJJ in the US, despite the lack of Olympic status. Fencing and horse dancing is also an Olympic sport. that doesn't mean they are more popular or profitable than BJJ. 

Grappling has broad and growing fan base in North America and is obviously huge in Brazil. It's is an integral part of MMA too. Taekwondo, not so much. BJJ is not my thing at all but I'm puzzled as to why you'd purposely make these clearly false statements. 

2 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

this is incorrect. guys can and do make a living competing in BJJ in the US, despite the lack of Olympic status. Fencing and horse dancing is also an Olympic sport. that doesn't mean they are more popular or profitable than BJJ. 

Grappling has broad and growing fan base in North America and is obviously huge in Brazil. It's is an integral part of MMA too. Taekwondo, not so much. BJJ is not my thing at all but I'm puzzled as to why you'd purposely make these clearly false statements. 

What’s odd is that you’re on a college wrestling forum thinking we care about submission grappling.  It’s another poor attempt by flo to crossover their 50 different verticals (of which only wrestling and track seem to have good content).  I’d be more interested to see PD3 in a flomarching event-that sport is much better than grappling in my opinion. 

18 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

I’d be more interested to see PD3 in a flomarching event-that sport is much better than grappling in my opinion. 

As a former marching band member my wife may agree with you on this, but I choose to ignore this opinion as a valid one.  I watch Flograppling often when big events occur.  Though I’d much rather see wrestling too, I’m sorry that you are unable appreciate the similarities of grappling and would somehow prefer marching bands as a more legitimate sport.  When FloMarching has a cross over event with wrestling please let us know.  

Edited by MadMardigain

5 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

What’s odd is that you’re on a college wrestling forum thinking we care about submission grappling.  It’s another poor attempt by flo to crossover their 50 different verticals (of which only wrestling and track seem to have good content).  I’d be more interested to see PD3 in a flomarching event-that sport is much better than grappling in my opinion. 

thank you for admitting that you made a false statement and have no clue what you're talking about. 

i totally get people not caring about grappling and bjj. i also don't care much for grappling and bjj either. but if some people who do care about grappling and bjj are enticed to watch WNO by the downy rodriguez wrestling match than it's a win for the whole sport. i want to thank you and all the wrestling fans who made the sacrifice of watching that match that helped grow the sport. thank you. 

27 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Please enlighten me on the other crossovers that Flo tried to do. Cheering vs Gymnastics? Rugby vs Singing?

17 minutes ago, Hotkarl712 said:

Please enlighten me on the other crossovers that Flo tried to do. Cheering vs Gymnastics? Rugby vs Singing?

Those would be way better than seeing a “grappler” wrestle. I mean as a subscriber to flo I see targeted ads for their other events and it seems as if the $$$ they make from flowrestling goes into trying to build their other brands. 

45 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

thank you for admitting that you made a false statement and have no clue what you're talking about. 

i totally get people not caring about grappling and bjj. i also don't care much for grappling and bjj either. but if some people who do care about grappling and bjj are enticed to watch WNO by the downy rodriguez wrestling match than it's a win for the whole sport. i want to thank you and all the wrestling fans who made the sacrifice of watching that match that helped grow the sport. thank you. 

What was my false statement? Sorry to break it to you, but even CrossFit is probably more popular than grappling. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Those that are ripping what they view as 'lesser' sports, remember...

Basketball and football fans all over the country are continually saying the same stupid thing about wrestling..

And one more thing:

ALL combat sports contribute to wrestling because, at the end of the day, when it's all said and done, wrestlers win in MMA.

Billy, you are missing the point. If flo scheduled a Downey vs Nickal match or something, yes wrestling fans would have been more excited for the matchup.  But that isnt going to get non fans to watch. Having a big time grappler cross over for this match, could atleast get some grappling fans (no matter how few there might be) to watch, and potentially grow the fan base, which is a good thing. Im all for them bringing big time grapplers/mma guys to do these matches because atleast they are trying to bring in new fans.

19 minutes ago, Molsen said:

Billy, you are missing the point. If flo scheduled a Downey vs Nickal match or something, yes wrestling fans would have been more excited for the matchup.  But that isnt going to get non fans to watch. Having a big time grappler cross over for this match, could atleast get some grappling fans (no matter how few there might be) to watch, and potentially grow the fan base, which is a good thing. Im all for them bringing big time grapplers/mma guys to do these matches because atleast they are trying to bring in new fans.

Ok I will concede that you may be right. There are people here who work for flo: what were the live viewership numbers for this match at WNO? How do they compare to last year’s event? I suspect that very few people watched because there aren’t many grappling fans, but I may be wrong. 

Also, how many subscribers are there who signed up for flograppling vs flowrestling flotrack? Once again I think there are not many for grappling, but if somebody posts the numbers I’m happy to be proven wrong. Based on the twitter accounts, grappling is dwarfed by the other two (20K vs 150K followers). 

Edited by Billyhoyle

33 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Ok I will concede that you may be right. There are people here who work for flo: what were the live viewership numbers for this match at WNO? How do they compare to last year’s event? I suspect that very few people watched because there aren’t many grappling fans, but I may be wrong. 

Also, how many subscribers are there who signed up for flograppling vs flowrestling flotrack? Once again I think there are not many for grappling, but if somebody posts the numbers I’m happy to be proven wrong. Based on the twitter accounts, grappling is dwarfed by the other two (20K vs 150K followers). 

you said taekwondo is more popular than grappling in the USA. this is obviously incorrect. we will all assume you admit this and move on.

grappling and wrestling numbers for Flo are both very strong. i can't provide numbers but just look at the public social media numbers. Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram; they are all large and get high engagement. you are very mistaken if you think wrestling dwarves wrestling in popularity in the US.