spartak

Gilman in Russia

1 minute ago, spartak said:

I am surprised nobody yet mentioned about Gilman training in Vladikavkaz and then won international tournament in Dagestan, winning 5 matches. 

Can you please give us more details on this?

Since nobody else has, that is...

Any news if Brooks was there then, too. @spladle08
Thanks for that btw.
Brooks was not, Gillman only one. Still hunting (bracket is hard to read from phone) some hawkeye guy wrote.

According to Ivan_FSwrestling on Twitter, Thomas Gilman of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club is competing in the Abdusalamov Prix in Dagestan, Russia today.  Gilman is the only American wrestlers competing.  
Gilman’s first round opponent at 57kg is A. Guvajokov. The bracket on the Twitter post was written in Russian and showed 30 wrestlers in the 57kg bracket.
I will do my best to keep you posted. On results.
Thomas Gilman and Sammy Brooks of the Hawkeye Wrestling Club will be competing at the Continental Cup in Khasavjurt, Russia.  USA Wrestling is sending 17 of our top wrestlers to compete in this world class tournament. Gilman and Brooks will both compete on October 11-12.
It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.
Go Hawks!

Just now, spladle08 said:
2 minutes ago, BTC said:
A little surprised to see dean heil's name on that list. Intrested in seeing how he does.

Not well. But i do thank him for his college contributions

Hey you never know he might surprise some people. He obviously thinks he can compete at this level so maybe he has upped his game. Or maybe he goes one and done. 

Hey you never know he might surprise some people. He obviously thinks he can compete at this level so maybe he has upped his game. Or maybe he goes one and done. 
Haha we have a lot of domestic results for him. I think he will always "upset" Joesph Mckenna but aside from that, his style just doesnt translate

5 minutes ago, spladle08 said:
7 minutes ago, BTC said:

Haha we have a lot of domestic results for him. I think he will always "upset" Joesph Mckenna but aside from that, his style just doesnt translate

I'm aware of his less than ideal results due to his style but you just never know but I agree for the most part and dont expect much from Heil.

We don't talk about Gilman all that often because the storylines around Fix and Lee are more exciting. I would not be shocked for one of the 23-27 year old guys locks up this spot in 2020. Gilman and NATO, along with a couple others, are in play, especially if Fix and Lee face off, as one can eliminate the other. 

My pick is still Lee to make the team, but that isn't based on much

We don't talk about Gilman all that often because the storylines around Fix and Lee are more exciting. I would not be shocked for one of the 23-27 year old guys locks up this spot in 2020. Gilman and NATO, along with a couple others, are in play, especially if Fix and Lee face off, as one can eliminate the other. 
My pick is still Lee to make the team, but that isn't based on much
I'd be surprised if anyone aside from Gillman (of the old regime) gets the spot. Garrett/Colon/Graff just feel too big and i genuinely dont think are "more skilled" than the rest of 57kg.
Garrett is obviously a wild card because he is so explosive but, Gillman, Fix, Lee, Etc... arent notorious for rolly-polly matches and the its kind of Nashon's calling card. The cut + his lack of action + his skillset. Not for.
Ill go
Fix-Gillman-Lee. In that order

I think Nato is now in that Richards/Sanders/ dare I say Cruz.... group... no chance at winning but capable of an upset.

If anyone has "dark horse" potential, its gotta be Vitali....
But aside from TG dont see a lot of "old guard" pushback at this weight

2 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I'd be surprised if anyone aside from Gillman (of the old regime) gets the spot. Garrett/Colon/Graff just feel too big and i genuinely dont think are "more skilled" than the rest of 57kg.
Garrett is obviously a wild card because he is so explosive but, Gillman, Fix, Lee, Etc... arent notorious for rolly-polly matches and the its kind of Nashon's calling card. The cut + his lack of action + his skillset. Not for.
Ill go
Fix-Gillman-Lee. In that order

I think Nato is now in that Richards/Sanders/ dare I say Cruz.... group... no chance at winning but capable of an upset.

If anyone has "dark horse" potential, its gotta be Vitali....
But aside from TG dont see a lot of "old guard" pushback at this weight

Fair point. 

I do think a healthy NATO can go with these guys. He is fundamentally sound and will be stronger than all of them. He is definitely an underdog, but I see him in tier 1b, with Gilman, Fix, and Lee in 1a. I think Vitali and Garrett are also in 1b - it wouldn't be crazy if they beat a 1a guy, but beating multiple in a row is fairly unlikely. 

2nd tier would be Sanders, Cruz, Richards, etc. I'd be shocked if any of those guys beat any of the 1a guys

I dunno man. Theyre all competent and Cruz didnt look all too bad last time out.

But yeah Fix and Gilman and our fond memories of Spencer Lee a few years back, acting as if we havent noticed that his 125lb neutral game isnt the same as his highscool days :)

Sorry is it not a great phenomenon.

Everyone has been wrestling year round since his ACL tear ending senior year. But somehow we assume he's gotten even better at Freestyle and nobody else has improved.

And like Mark Hall. Who I gave 0% chance of making Final X while these boards were raving about his potential based off Junior results. (Anyone couldve thought that one through)

I now give Spencer a 50% Final X chance in my gut.... (yes I have the same rose colored glasses the rest of you have)

But in my mind. He loses unceramoniously to one of those 2nd teir guys.

54 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I dunno man. Theyre all competent and Cruz didnt look all too bad last time out.

But yeah Fix and Gilman and our fond memories of Spencer Lee a few years back, acting as if we havent noticed that his 125lb neutral game isnt the same as his highscool days :)

Sorry is it not a great phenomenon.

Everyone has been wrestling year round since his ACL tear ending senior year. But somehow we assume he's gotten even better at Freestyle and nobody else has improved.

And like Mark Hall. Who I gave 0% chance of making Final X while these boards were raving about his potential based off Junior results. (Anyone couldve thought that one through)

I now give Spencer a 50% Final X chance in my gut.... (yes I have the same rose colored glasses the rest of you have)

But in my mind. He loses unceramoniously to one of those 2nd teir guys.

I hear you. All valid points. 

I’d be shocked if he lost to a tier 2 though. If that is his level I doubt he shows up. That would mean Gilman is completely handling him in the room and maybe even Clark is beating him more often than not. 

If he lost to Gilman or Fix I wouldn’t be surprised. 

Lee and Gilman aren’t qualified yet for trials, so we will likely see both in freestyle in December. Lee can qualify by winning 2020 NCAAs, but it seems very risky to wait until then

cant wait to see how this all plays out