irani

Wrestling regions in each country

Almost all great freestyle wrestlers in Iran are from Mazandaran.  Most good Russian wrestlers are from Dagestan, Ossetia or perhaps Chechnya.

Is there such an equivalency in the US?  Perhaps Iowa, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania?  

This is not meant to start a big argument, I just want to get a sense for which regions you think have the reputations of consistently producing world class wrestlers

Colleges in those states do produce, but they draw from many other states.  I think you can legitimately also say Nebraska and Ohio.  But our 2019 team are from the following states:

57 - Daton Fix - Oklahoma

61 - Tyler Graff - Colorado

65 - Zain Retherford - Pennsylvania

71 - James Green - New Jersey

74 - Jordan Burroughs - New Jersey

79 - Kyle Dake - New York

86 - Pat Downey - Maryland

92 - J'Den Cox - Missouri

97 - Kyle Snyder - Maryland

125 - Nick Gwiazdowski - New York

mspart

Wrestling talent is generally a little more spread out in the US than in Russia and Iran. Quantity and quality can be found from coast to coast. 

There are hotbeds though. It's generally most concentrated in the suburbs and rural areas from New York City to Chicago. But of course, Iowa, Minnesota, California and Oklahoma, Michigan and other states can lay claim to have hot beds of their own. 

The maps in these articles can give you a clearer picture if you're into the whole visual thing.

NCAA Heat Maps By County From 2014-2018

2018 NCAA Heat Maps

2019 NCAA Heat Maps

19 hours ago, mspart said:

Colleges in those states do produce, but they draw from many other states.  I think you can legitimately also say Nebraska and Ohio.  But our 2019 team are from the following states:

57 - Daton Fix - Oklahoma

61 - Tyler Graff - Colorado

65 - Zain Retherford - Pennsylvania

71 - James Green - New Jersey

74 - Jordan Burroughs - New Jersey

79 - Kyle Dake - New York

86 - Pat Downey - Maryland

92 - J'Den Cox - Missouri

97 - Kyle Snyder - Maryland

125 - Nick Gwiazdowski - New York

mspart

It is kinda crazy to have 2 Maryland guys since they’re probsboy a bottom 10 state or so overall.   Of course some may not want to “count” Downey...Taylor is Ohio right?  Which of course is a traditionally stronger wrestling state.  

21 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

It is kinda crazy to have 2 Maryland guys since they’re probsboy a bottom 10 state or so overall.   Of course some may not want to “count” Downey...Taylor is Ohio right?  Which of course is a traditionally stronger wrestling state.  

Maryland is DEFINITELY not a bottom 10 state. Probably more like average to slightly above average. 17th-25th would be my guess.

For high school folkstyle, PA is definitely the best. Unfortunately we don’t emphasize international styles enough, so other states have caught up and passed us in freestyle/Greco. I don’t really think there is a region in the USA that is equivalent to Dagestan or Mazandaran. 

25 minutes ago, CoachWrestling said:

Maryland is DEFINITELY not a bottom 10 state. Probably more like average to slightly above average. 17th-25th would be my guess.

Yeah I guess you're right.  I guess when you add up some of the weak southern states (Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Kentucky),  New England (Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine), sparsely populated western states (Dakotas, Montana),  that does probably add up to Maryland being around middle of the pack.

Edited by 1032004

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah I guess you're right.  I guess when you add up some of the weak southern states (Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Kentucky),  New England (Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine), sparsely populated western states (Dakotas, Montana),  that does probably add up to Maryland being around middle of the pack.

South Dakota has produced some STUDS

15 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

It's been documented before that the eastern Ohio and Western PA area has produced an incredibly high number of high Calibre wrestlers.  It's been dubbed in articles as the US version of the Caucasus region.  

definite hot beds for sure but eastern PA/NYC metro area produce more high caliber wrestlers than the Western PA/NE Ohio region. nowhere else in Russia comes close to producing as many high level wrestlers as the North Caucasus. our world team would have to be 9/10 Western PA/NE Ohio to be comparable. 

3 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

definite hot beds for sure but eastern PA/NYC metro area produce more high caliber wrestlers than the Western PA/NE Ohio region. nowhere else in Russia comes close to producing as many high level wrestlers as the North Caucasus. our world team would have to be 9/10 Western PA/NE Ohio to be comparable. 

lol

So, why isn't our World Team 9/10 Western PA/NE Ohio if they're the highest caliber and would be comparable to the North Caucus?

12 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Not much from Western PA, NE Ohio, NY Metro or Eastern PA here:

Fix(OK), Graff(CO), ZT(PA),Green(NJ), JB(NJ),Dake(NY),Downey(MD),Cox(MO),Snyder(MD), Gwiz(NY)

While Zain Train is arguably Eastern PA - its really Pennsyltucky.

I guess in theory you could call OH/PA/NJ/NY/MD a "region" as they are all technically connected and are just 5 of 50 states which would account for 7 of the 10 guys you listed (and still would if you replaced Downey with Taylor). 

Of course those states are some of the highest populated ones as well so not really comparable to Russia.

Edited by 1032004

Americans tend to be coached into great situations. Caucus wrestlers are made to be great. 

On balance, the concentration of old (Eastern) European roots of eastern rust belt of the US are more predisposed physically for success. 

I think there is just too much mixing of peoples in the US to come up with that kind of conclusion.   We historically have high caliber wrestlers from many parts of the country.  And it ebbs and flows.  Oregon had many excellent wrestlers come out, not so much now, but in the past.  Fozzard, Sanders, Gutches, Wood, Harris, the Russels, and there are more I'm sure.

mspart

21 minutes ago, scribe said:

Americans tend to be coached into great situations. Caucus wrestlers are made to be great. 

On balance, the concentration of old (Eastern) European roots of eastern rust belt of the US are more predisposed physically for success. 

Predisposed physically?

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Not much from Western PA, NE Ohio, NY Metro or Eastern PA here:

Fix(OK), Graff(CO), ZT(PA),Green(NJ), JB(NJ),Dake(NY),Downey(MD),Cox(MO),Snyder(MD), Gwiz(NY)

While Zain Train is arguably Eastern PA - its really Pennsyltucky.

When I made my comment, I used "past tense" to infer "historically".  The current world team is a point in time. 

Basically. Each group, Ossetian and Eastern European all originate from the same subset of Neanderthals. This gives way to lower center of gravity (short legs), stupid strong, flexible, and relatively injury free. 

21 minutes ago, scribe said:

Basically. Each group, Ossetian and Eastern European all originate from the same subset of Neanderthals. This gives way to lower center of gravity (short legs), stupid strong, flexible, and relatively injury free. 

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastically factually accurate, or are acting in a newfound form of racist/bigoted speech.