irani

Wrestling regions in each country

On 10/7/2019 at 5:49 PM, irani said:

Almost all great freestyle wrestlers in Iran are from Mazandaran.  Most good Russian wrestlers are from Dagestan, Ossetia or perhaps Chechnya.

Is there such an equivalency in the US?  Perhaps Iowa, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania?  

This is not meant to start a big argument, I just want to get a sense for which regions you think have the reputations of consistently producing world class wrestlers

In the US it’s definitely Pennsylvania. Go to a tough youth tournament in PA on any given Saturday and I’d bet you’d be surprised how many of the kids have some pretty high level technique. 

In just looking it up I was surprised that Dagestan is less than half the size geographically of Pennsylvania with 1/5th the population.  How prevalent is youth wrestling in Dagestan?

The reason any area is good at wrestling is their system and their coaches.  PA has tons of great coaches. 

In the last 40 years only Coleman Scott (bronze) and Jake Herbert (silver) have medaled out of PA. The PA success has been almost exclusively folkstyle.

Edit - should have included Stan Dziedzic.

Edited by headache

47 minutes ago, headache said:

In the last 40 years only Coleman Scott (bronze) and Jake Herbert (silver) have medaled out of PA. The PA success has been almost exclusively folkstyle.

Your point stands, but Cary Kolat is also on that list.

Here's a complete list going back to 1970 - [I could have miss someone, but I think I got all the world medalists]

CA – Varner, Abas, Jamill Kelly, Townsend Saunders, D. Schultz, M. Schultz, Greg Gibson, Joe Gonzales, John Azevedo, Stephen Neal

IA – Dan Gable, Barry Davis, Joe Corso, Royce Alger, Terry Brands, Tom Brands, Tolly Thompson, Thomas Gilman, Joe Colon

PA – Coleman Scott, Jake Herbert, Cary Kolat, Kurt Angle, Stan Dziedzic, Kevin Darkus, Bobby Weaver

NJ – Burroughs, James Green, Donnie Pritzlaff, Baumgarten, Chris Campbell, Gene Mills

OH – Taylor, Mark Coleman, Lee Kemp, Jim Humphrey, Bobby Douglas, Joe McFarland, Logan Stieber

NY – Dake, Gwiazdowski, Kerry McCoy, Brad Penrith, Ed Banach, Lou Banach

WI – Hartung, Jack Reinwand, Russ Hellickson, John Peterson, Ben Peterson, Andrew Rein

Oklahoma – John Smith, Kenny Monday, Kendall Cross, Wayne Wells, Lee Roy Smith

MI - Zeke Jones, Kevin Jackson, Chris Taylor, Andre Metzger

OR – Les Gutches, Fred Fozzard, Henk Schenk, Rick Sanders

Montana – Bill Zadick, Mike Zadick, Brandon Eggum, Gene Davis

SD – Randy Lewis, Jim Scherr, Bill Scherr, McIlravy

IL – Joe Williams, Kirk Trost, Larry Kristoff, Donald Behm

Maryland – Snyder, Lloyd Keaser

Missouri – J'den Cox, Sammie Henson

TX – Dlagnev, Brandon Slay

AZ – Cejudo, William Rosado

Utah – Cael Sanderson

KS – Melvin Douglas

LA – Cormier

TN – Bill Harlow

Edited by headache

On 10/20/2019 at 9:52 AM, headache said:

Is your post in response to mine?  Do you disagree that the toughest wrestling area in the country is in PA?

18 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Is your post in response to mine?  Do you disagree that the toughest wrestling area in the country is in PA?

Folkstyle yes. Freestyle - not so much. And, the OP asks about dominant freestyle locals such as Dagestan. We don't have a Dagestan.

if the question was best wrestling area in the US through HS and college, then PA would be correct, as evidenced above with the hundreds of youth wrestlers packing gyms across the state, and # of NCAA qualifiers.

but internationally speaking, there is no "hotbed", they come from all over and most PA 'greats' peak early because of the 100 matches every 3 months at the youth level.