Housebuye

Iowa State this year

ISUs recent signee completely changes the landscape for the team. 

125 - Mackall qualifier 2 points

133 - Gomez - was R12 as a freshman in a deeper weight. This weight lost Suriano, Fix and Micic but adds Gross. 12 points 

141 - Anthony Echemendia - the plan is to wrestle him later on in the season. Don’t care about his bottom game. It will be good enough. He is going to AA and might be the champ. 15 points. 

149 - Degan - AAd last year and the weight cleared out. 10 points 

157 - Carr could be champ. I’ll say 3rd. Junior world golds have an amazing track record. Only In 2 seasons has a junior world gold not AAd, and both were Dom Bradley. 18 points 

165 - 2 points

174 - 2 points

184 - good weight but doable for Colbrey. 10 points 

197 - Shapiro is prob top 20 or so but this weight is very weak and Shapiro could AA. 

285 - Gremmel is solid but unlikely to AA

70-85 points would put ISU on the podium

2 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Strikes me as stupid....

They explained it during Who's #1 and it made okay sense to me. Exposure for him and for Saunders, who is pulling a Snyder and essentially skipping scholastic competition his senior year.

4 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Only In 2 seasons has a junior world gold not AAd, and both were Dom Bradley. 

I feel context is needed a bit here in this statement.  He was behind Mark Ellis for two years, whom may I add as a national champion & 6th in the nation.  Had he wrestled just about anywhere else, he probably would've been a four time AA. 

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

I'm calling it now. If Echemendia wrestles for Iowa State this year he doesn't AA if he qualifies.  

I would be very surprised if he didn't qualify for NCAAs -  If Echemendia starts for ISU that would mean he beat out Ian Parker who is a top 12 to 15 guy himself and has a good shot at making the podium.  If he is not beating Parker that won't be a huge shock but if gets the starting spot he should qualify.  As far as AAing goes that is never easy for any freshman.  Many really great wrestlers miss the podium their freshman year.  Personally I think if they wrestle Echemendia this year he will place and I wouldn't be shocked to see him in the finals.

5 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I would be very surprised if he didn't qualify for NCAAs -  If Echemendia starts for ISU that would mean he beat out Ian Parker who is a top 12 to 15 guy himself and has a good shot at making the podium.  If he is not beating Parker that won't be a huge shock but if gets the starting spot he should qualify.  As far as AAing goes that is never easy for any freshman.  Many really great wrestlers miss the podium their freshman year.  Personally I think if they wrestle Echemendia this year he will place and I wouldn't be shocked to see him in the finals.

I believe he meant qualify academically....

10 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I would be very surprised if he came close to AAing at all.  I've seen him wrestle live quite a bit and when he came up against college guys he more than had his hands full.  

I love the kids story but he won his state semi and final in D2 Arizona 9-6 and 7-4. He beat Dawon Andrews a Notre Dame College signee 4-2 in TB1 in a tourney last year. I also watched Who's #1. I dont think there is anyway he wins or makes AA. I personally think it's a hell of a lot easier to go from folkstyle to freestyle than from free to folk. If I am wrong, so be it.

Echemendia's matches... the only ones i've really seen is in Freestyle, and he seems to be a killer there.  I'm unsure that I've seen any folkstyle matches.  His game on his feet will keep in nearly every match, however, if he's anything like Micah Jordan on bottom, he'll have massive issues this first year.

David Carr has the ability to win 157, upsetting Hidlay (and probably everyone else).  If he goes 165 (which i think is better for his FS aspirations), I think he's a solid AA.  

Not to beat a dead horse but I decided to go back and look at his results from high school last year and then I realized that Sunnyside was at the Peoria Invitational where my son was. This is a medium sized tournament of average high school competition at best  although it has been around a long time. So looking through the bracket sheets, they don't believe in having an internet presence but that's another story for another time, I found he wrestled at the tournament beating a friend of my son's from here in NV 16-5 in the final. Now I realize there's a lot of reasons while he'll be better that aren't just related to wrestling such as more comfortable with the language, more settled here in America now and so on and so forth. But let's take a look at two former Fargo Champions Anthony Artalona and Sammy Sasso. Both won Fargo championships in freestyle, Artalona a bunch, and both have been wrestling folkstyle their entire life. Sasso I think has a decent shot of winning it this year but I certainly wouldn't bet on him as a redahirt freshman. Neither one of those guys we're going to be NCAA champions as a true freshman and they are far more experienced than Echmendia in folkstyle. I hope he proves me wrong as it would be a fantastic story but I wouldn't bet he even starts for Iowa State.

2 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Not to beat a dead horse but I decided to go back and look at his results from high school last year and then I realized that Sunnyside was at the Peoria Invitational where my son was. This is a medium sized tournament of average high school competition at best  although it has been around a long time. So looking through the bracket sheets, they don't believe in having an internet presence but that's another story for another time, I found he wrestled at the tournament beating a friend of my son's from here in NV 16-5 in the final. Now I realize there's a lot of reasons while he'll be better that aren't just related to wrestling such as more comfortable with the language, more settled here in America now and so on and so forth. But let's take a look at two former Fargo Champions Anthony Artalona and Sammy Sasso. Both won Fargo championships in freestyle, Artalona a bunch, and both have been wrestling folkstyle their entire life. Sasso I think has a decent shot of winning it this year but I certainly wouldn't bet on him as a redahirt freshman. Neither one of those guys we're going to be NCAA champions as a true freshman and they are far more experienced than Echmendia in folkstyle. I hope he proves me wrong as it would be a fantastic story but I wouldn't bet he even starts for Iowa State.

Are you sure it was the final?  I just looked at the tournament results to double check because I remember him barely escaping with a 6-5 win over Denen Fernandez from Queen Creek.  It could be wrong but it says he pinned a kid from Faith Lutheran in 3:30 in the 2nd round.  His first round match was a 9-6 decision over somebody from Marana Mountain View.