Housebuye

Iowa State this year

10 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Not to beat a dead horse but I decided to go back and look at his results from high school last year and then I realized that Sunnyside was at the Peoria Invitational where my son was. This is a medium sized tournament of average high school competition at best  although it has been around a long time. So looking through the bracket sheets, they don't believe in having an internet presence but that's another story for another time, I found he wrestled at the tournament beating a friend of my son's from here in NV 16-5 in the final. Now I realize there's a lot of reasons while he'll be better that aren't just related to wrestling such as more comfortable with the language, more settled here in America now and so on and so forth. But let's take a look at two former Fargo Champions Anthony Artalona and Sammy Sasso. Both won Fargo championships in freestyle, Artalona a bunch, and both have been wrestling folkstyle their entire life. Sasso I think has a decent shot of winning it this year but I certainly wouldn't bet on him as a redahirt freshman. Neither one of those guys we're going to be NCAA champions as a true freshman and they are far more experienced than Echmendia in folkstyle. I hope he proves me wrong as it would be a fantastic story but I wouldn't bet he even starts for Iowa State.

Dresser said he hopes to have him start later on in the season. 

this isn’t because he won Fargo. Plenty of kids win Fargo and don’t become ncaa threats. The way he did it and the way he took out Saunders though? I don’t think he gave up a takedown and offensively he is excellent on the feet. 

I think you are underestimating him, but we will see!

21 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Are you sure it was the final?  I just looked at the tournament results to double check because I remember him barely escaping with a 6-5 win over Denen Fernandez from Queen Creek.  It could be wrong but it says he pinned a kid from Faith Lutheran in 3:30 in the 2nd round.  His first round match was a 9-6 decision over somebody from Marana Mountain View.  

Trip, are you were 100% correct. The 16 - 5 match was in the semi-finals. 

13 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Dresser said he hopes to have him start later on in the season. 

this isn’t because he won Fargo. Plenty of kids win Fargo and don’t become ncaa threats. The way he did it and the way he took out Saunders though? I don’t think he gave up a takedown and offensively he is excellent on the feet. 

I think you are underestimating him, but we will see!

House, I hope I am. I want him to do well.

I think it’s worth noting that techs in folkstyle happen with turns. The kid wasn’t going to turn people during his first year of folkstyle wrestling. I would expect people to be able to slow down his scoring when his opponents know the tactics of folkstyle exponentially better. 

On 10/12/2019 at 9:32 PM, ConnorsDad said:

Trip, are you were 100% correct. The 16 - 5 match was in the semi-finals. 

It showed that he won by fall vs Faith Lutheran.  Here's the results.

Champ. Round 2 - ANTHONY ECHEMENDIA (Sunnyside H.S.) over Daivon Lee (Mountain View - Marana) (Dec 9-6)
No
No

Champ. Round 2 - ANTHONY ECHEMENDIA (Sunnyside H.S.) over Dylan Dockery (Faith Lutheran) (Fall 3:30)
No
No

Round 3 - ANTHONY ECHEMENDIA (Sunnyside H.S.) over Baylor Williams (Mountain View Hs (Mesa)) (TF 19-4 0:00)
Yes
No

1st Place Match - ANTHONY ECHEMENDIA (Sunnyside H.S.) over Denen Fernandez (Queen Creek) (Dec 6-5)

26 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

It showed that he won by fall vs Faith Lutheran.  Here's the results.

Champ. Round 2 - ANTHONY ECHEMENDIA (Sunnyside H.S.) over Daivon Lee (Mountain View - Marana) (Dec 9-6)
No
No

Champ. Round 2 - ANTHONY ECHEMENDIA (Sunnyside H.S.) over Dylan Dockery (Faith Lutheran) (Fall 3:30)
No
No

Round 3 - ANTHONY ECHEMENDIA (Sunnyside H.S.) over Baylor Williams (Mountain View Hs (Mesa)) (TF 19-4 0:00)
Yes
No

1st Place Match - ANTHONY ECHEMENDIA (Sunnyside H.S.) over Denen Fernandez (Queen Creek) (Dec 6-5)

I'm not sure where you got that but I have a copy of the bracket and the semi was a 16-5 match against a kid from Cimarron here in Las Vegas. That match is missing on that list of yours & the 6-5 match is the championship. I should have been a little clearer before. Sorry.

152 Champ.pdf

Edited by ConnorsDad
Spell

16 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

I'm not sure where you got that but I have a copy of the bracket and the semi was a 16-5 match against a kid from Cimarron here in Las Vegas. That match is missing on that list of yours & the 6-5 match is the championship. I should have been a little clearer before. Sorry.

152 Champ.pdf 86.19 kB · 0 downloads

I copied it from Track which teams are supposed to enter their matches into.  I guess the Sunnyside coaches forgot to add that match for some reason or another.  Looks like they got it in the wrong order too, since he wrestled the Faith Lutheran kid in the first round then wrestled Marana Mt. View who was the #2 seed.  I wonder why they forgot to add it in there. 

8 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

I copied it from Track which teams are supposed to enter their matches into.  I guess the Sunnyside coaches forgot to add that match for some reason or another.  Looks like they got it in the wrong order too, since he wrestled the Faith Lutheran kid in the first round then wrestled Marana Mt. View who was the #2 seed.  I wonder why they forgot to add it in there. 

Tell you this having done it for Faith Lutheran the last 4 years when Connor was in high school is that it's usually done after the tournament and when you go in you usually do it by School. The way the drop-down works is if you know your kid wrestled somebody from school A you go to school a click on him enter the result. So they may not be in order unless you actually take the time to go in the exact order of the matches. But if your team has more than one person wrestling and they wrestle two or three or four kids from the same school it's just takes less time that way.

im assuming people agree he would have a serious shot at an NCAA title if ncaas was freestyle. 

now everyone is understandably pointing to last year’s results in folkstyle (where he was undefeated) to say he won’t do well in college. 

guys. He left everyone he knows at 18 to move to a foreign country. He didn’t even know the language. He has never wrestled (or likely even seen) folkstyle. He still managed to go undefeated, albeit against inferior opposition. 

he is now in an excellent folkstyle room, training with a bunch of guys who know both freestyle and folkstyle exceptionally well. This includes many guys who have studied the Cuban freestyle approach (Carr, Metcalf, etc). They will understand his game well and will help him transition.

this kid is a world class freestyler. He was the top age group guy in Cuba. Cuba generally doesn’t send guys to age level events due to cost, but he would’ve been in both cadets and juniors. It’s difficult to say how he would have done, but I think we can all agree he would at least be a medal contender. 

He probably will get beaten up from top a bunch until he figures it out, but you know he is working that constantly.

all y’all are wrong. I am right. Come at me

11 hours ago, Housebuye said:

im assuming people agree he would have a serious shot at an NCAA title if ncaas was freestyle. 

now everyone is understandably pointing to last year’s results in folkstyle (where he was undefeated) to say he won’t do well in college. 

guys. He left everyone he knows at 18 to move to a foreign country. He didn’t even know the language. He has never wrestled (or likely even seen) folkstyle. He still managed to go undefeated, albeit against inferior opposition. 

he is now in an excellent folkstyle room, training with a bunch of guys who know both freestyle and folkstyle exceptionally well. This includes many guys who have studied the Cuban freestyle approach (Carr, Metcalf, etc). They will understand his game well and will help him transition.

this kid is a world class freestyler. He was the top age group guy in Cuba. Cuba generally doesn’t send guys to age level events due to cost, but he would’ve been in both cadets and juniors. It’s difficult to say how he would have done, but I think we can all agree he would at least be a medal contender. 

He probably will get beaten up from top a bunch until he figures it out, but you know he is working that constantly.

all y’all are wrong. I am right. Come at me

If he's having close matches in high school with a kid who signed for a partial scholarship to an NAIA school then I'm not sure why anyone would think that somebody with a year or more of college experience wouldn't easily take wins from him.  

12 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

If he's having close matches in high school with a kid who signed for a partial scholarship to an NAIA school then I'm not sure why anyone would think that somebody with a year or more of college experience wouldn't easily take wins from him.  

How dare you disagree with me

I don't think the Clones have won the Big 12 since Cael was there.  By the way, they were tougher than nails when he was there.  This Cyclone line-up can make a push.    If Dresser and his staff can win the Big 12, and a top 4 finish, that would be a pretty impressive coaching accomplishment.  Now if someone can resurrect the Sooners.  No doubt the Big 12 misses the Huskers and Missouri, but there was a half a century when OU and ISU were in the title hunt.  I like it that one of them is making some noise.

10 hours ago, Peso said:

I don't think the Clones have won the Big 12 since Cael was there.  By the way, they were tougher than nails when he was there.  This Cyclone line-up can make a push.    If Dresser and his staff can win the Big 12, and a top 4 finish, that would be a pretty impressive coaching accomplishment.  Now if someone can resurrect the Sooners.  No doubt the Big 12 misses the Huskers and Missouri, but there was a half a century when OU and ISU were in the title hunt.  I like it that one of them is making some noise.

OSU was in way worse shape than ISU and they have a pre-season #1 plus a few other promising guys. 

On 10/9/2019 at 2:10 PM, HokieHWT said:

ISU will be National Champs in no less than 5 years.

They won't beat Penn State within that time frame. Not in a dual and not at the NCAA tournament.

Looking good but every step up gets exponentially more difficult. Right now, not even a second tier team. A long way to go to even be 3rd place in Iowa.

4 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

They won't beat Penn State within that time frame. Not in a dual and not at the NCAA tournament.

Looking good but every step up gets exponentially more difficult. Right now, not even a second tier team. A long way to go to even be 3rd place in Iowa.

ISU, in their first year back in track, was only 8.5 points behind UNI. UNI also had a surprise champion, which helped them a lot. 

I would be willing to bet a fair amount that ISU beats UNI in the dual this year and out places UNI at NCAAs.