2 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Nickal is the odd man out at the NLWC, right?

That is what I am wondering. Nickal can beat Taylor but would be underdog. 189 seems like the choice for him. He and Taylor start with no byes.  

24 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I don't see this having anything to do with Cox, or anyone in the US.  And as far as Cassar and Snyder this is good for both.  For Cassar because he picks up Snyder for a training partner, and for Snyder because Cassar has the athleticism and movement more like Sadulaev than anyone in Columbus.  Not saying they are on the same level or anything, but Cassar gets closer in that area than anyone at OSU I believe.

Lurker, I tend to agree I think Cassar probably gives Snyder the best look of the two camps as far as Sadulaev goes. I do think though that as far as just their own wrestling that Kerkvliet is a bad matchup for Cassar and if his knee holds out I would take him over Cassar right now today.

33 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I heard rumors of a move before worlds. I believe his wife is a grad student in PA somewhere. I heard he was looking at Penn with Slay initially.

Thanks and that's kind of what I was thinking. I would certainly believe that he was contemplating a move before Worlds if his wife/fiancee is a student there or is going to be. There is no way I would believe he would be leaving tOSU AFTER winning the gold medal at Worlds unless there's another reason such as a wife.

11 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Great move for Captain America, great for NLWC, and great for Penn State. 

As far as NLWC and PSU, no doubt. As for Snyder himself, obviously there will be some people from tOSU who are butt hurt and think otherwise. But exposing yourself to new ideas has to help as does working with somebody as quick as David Taylor and as strong as Cassar.

color me shocked - just because psu has the most talent most of these top athletes aren't going there. Dierenger, Imar, Dake, Burroughs etc aren't running to penn state.  They have some school pride.

tryan was bringing in top guys from other rooms including europeans - and snyder was still visiting other teams rooms for spars. isn't tervel snyders biggest tutor and best friend ? I don't think tervel can be in snyders corner now. 

I'm guessing coach ryan did not take this news too well - and for Snyder , to go to a rival takes some shine off his ohio state legacy. Not gonna be what a burroughs means to a nebraska. 

unpopular opinion - the difference in RTC rooms and coaching is pretty negligible.  I've always thought that - all these guys are getting good coaching, they all train between each other anyway. If a okie state rtc wrestler loses to an iowa guy or zeke jones arizona state guy that doesn't mean the training is worse/better.

Also - snyders got it completely wrong if he's making decisions based on following his girlfriend. Should be the other way around. He will never touch sadulaev again.

A good move for Snyder.  He showed zero ability to scramble at worlds; he hasn't kept up technically but this can be what he needs to challenge Sadulaev.
Varner isn't known as a technician, nor is Cassar.

Cael has his ankle pick, it's Snyder's go to move.

Tervel was a great coach and technician in his own right.

Good luck to Kyle. He will need it against Saduleav if he wants to wrestle another full match against the best wrestler in the world.

Hell, convert to Islam too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I really don't see this as such a taboo thing as some of the others on here.

we are entering (thank god) what seems to be a "professional era" of wrestling.

you don't see NFL and NBA players wanting to stay in florida because they went to college or high school there.  They go where they get the best opportunity to improve as well as the most $$$.  (let's not act like this wasn't a factor here)

as far as sponsorship/endorsements - to this point it seems like brands such as rudis and scraplife have associated themselves with certain schools (Rudis = tOSU and SL = PSU).  IMO - this is a flawed mentality especially as you see Under Armour/Adidas/Nike spend more money on our athletes.  You cannot have an allegiance to a certain school in the endorsement game.  You have to go after the biggest names and the biggest stars to sell your product.

If rudis cuts Snyder because he went to PSU it will be brand suicide.

you don't see NFL and NBA players wanting to stay in florida because they went to college or high school there.  They go where they get the best opportunity to improve as well as the most $$$.  (let's not act like this wasn't a factor here)

as far as sponsorship/endorsements - to this point it seems like brands such as rudis and scraplife have associated themselves with certain schools (Rudis = tOSU and SL = PSU).  IMO - this is a flawed mentality especially as you see Under Armour/Adidas/Nike spend more money on our athletes.  You cannot have an allegiance to a certain school in the endorsement game.  You have to go after the biggest names and the biggest stars to sell your product.

Professional athletes change teams all the time. It's just feels weird because after all it's wrestling.

It makes a lot of $en$e.  The NLWC is sitting on a pile of money and he hasn't been getting better.  A change is in order.  Where else would he go?  Maybe the springs, but he probably doesn't want to deal with Cox and wouldn't get any club money.

1 minute ago, Plasmodium said:

It makes a lot of $en$e.  The NLWC is sitting on a pile of money and he hasn't been getting better.  A change is in order.  Where else would he go?  Maybe the springs, but he probably doesn't want to deal with Cox and wouldn't get any club money.

maybe snyder just isn't as good as we all thought he was ? he's a little stiff - his athleticism and natural born potential has as much impact on training - theres only so much improvement to be made. maybe all those iowa lightweights that could never medal at worlds should of left iowa hawkeye wrestling club because the brands weren't good coaches and training wasn't the best.

maybe snyder just isn't as good as we all thought he was ? he's a little stiff - his athleticism and natural born potential has as much impact on training - theres only so much improvement to be made. maybe all those iowa lightweights that could never medal at worlds should of left iowa hawkeye wrestling club because the brands weren't good coaches and training wasn't the best.

Questioning yourself by blaming your coaches or training situation is weak.

What happened when Kyle didn't win in 2017/18)? (Blame your training situation)

What happens if he wins (God's plan).

29 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

color me shocked - just because psu has the most talent most of these top athletes aren't going there. Dierenger, Imar, Dake, Burroughs etc aren't running to penn state.  They have some school pride.

tryan was bringing in top guys from other rooms including europeans - and snyder was still visiting other teams rooms for spars. isn't tervel snyders biggest tutor and best friend ? I don't think tervel can be in snyders corner now. 

I'm guessing coach ryan did not take this news too well - and for Snyder , to go to a rival takes some shine off his ohio state legacy. Not gonna be what a burroughs means to a nebraska. 

unpopular opinion - the difference in RTC rooms and coaching is pretty negligible.  I've always thought that - all these guys are getting good coaching, they all train between each other anyway. If a okie state rtc wrestler loses to an iowa guy or zeke jones arizona state guy that doesn't mean the training is worse/better.

Also - snyders got it completely wrong if he's making decisions based on following his girlfriend. Should be the other way around. He will never touch sadulaev again.

I'm pretty positive Snyder thinks about things in a completely different way than your takes.

1. He's not worried about school pride, he wants to get better by wrestling better practice partners everyday-not just 1 or 2 top guys brought in once a year. This shouldn't surprise us considering he skipped his last year of high school to train at the OTC. 

2. Coaching style/technique does make a difference. He's been with Tervel for many years now-makes them best friends and close but also gives him limited perspective on technique and training that could help him. Also, he's really close to Brandon Slay-the move puts him only a few hours from him at UPenn.

3. Family is important to him. He and his wife (not girlfriend) are both from Maryland-the move puts him much closer to home. 

28 minutes ago, Witherman said:

Rudis already has athletes from other schools, including several from Iowa. It's not like they have blind loyalty to tOSU. They're associated because of Rowlands and some of their first athletes were tOSU guys, but that had more to do with proximity and access. They branched out pretty quickly. 

3 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

IMO, not a chance unless it had already been in the works before worlds.

I agree.  I think him missing gold back to back definitely came into play with him leaving. 

To another posters point, I wondered the same thing.  Like if MyMar might head out to the OTC, and if Kerkvliet Ed's up taking an Oly redshirt, heading maybe to the OTC in the spring. Then it allows him to re-evaluate.  As for the other recruiting in the future I think there will be a lot of people watching to see it tOSU stays at the top.  This year they are tough so they get some grace.  After this year though I think will be a critical point for them to be a top 5 every year or a top 10 every year.