3 hours ago, russelscout said:

All those guys go to Iowa now from what I hear :) 

I really think this is a good move for Snyder. It seems like he has stalled out a lil and needs this change. Right now, I take Jden if he goes 97 next year, which I wouldve never imagined picking a couple years ago. 

I said Snyder over J Den b4 this move. I like my pick even better now. 

2 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

As far as NLWC and PSU, no doubt. As for Snyder himself, obviously there will be some people from tOSU who are butt hurt and think otherwise. But exposing yourself to new ideas has to help as does working with somebody as quick as David Taylor and as strong as Cassar.

+

Disagree on your prior observation re Kerkvliet beating Cassar this year. I like Ant The Champ in that match.

The guy that remains the toughest for Cassar is Gable S. Just my $.02.

14 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I said Snyder over J Den b4 this move. I like my pick even better now. 

I will pick Jden, but its not because I dont think NLWC is a great place for Snyder to be. Jden has just looked dominant and continues to improve. 

3 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

So many people on this board are assholes and I'm not trying to be that at all or sarcastic or snarky. But, i'm just wondering what Snyder's move to Penn State has to do with affecting what J'den does next year? I might be missing something which is probably the case.

J'den has not yet announced which weight class he will enter. Therefore there's the possibility that J'den bumps up to 97, and if he does, Kyle's OTT just got a whole lot tougher. As Kyle, said in the article, he wants to improve and get different feels. So that's all, he wants to improve against all competition, J'den or not.

I think this is a good move.  He lost last year to what can be considered "getting caught".  I'm not necessarily saying that but it could be thought that way.  But losing in the Semi's 5-2 is not good and shows he  needs to improve to  be able to face Sadulaev.   I'm not sure he had to go to PSU but that is a good place for sure.  Lots of talent there to learn new perspectives from etc.  He gets different coaching which may improve his performance and get him into improving once again. 

Winning three straight golds was good but taking third this year, he sees that there is a need for improvement that he hasn't gotten at tOSU.  That is pretty good, he has seen the results and is making a change to change the results.  Hopefully this is successful for him. 

I have not picked Cox over Snyder at anytime.  I don't see that possibility.  I think Snyder is the best we have at 97.  Cox wrestled in a weight that is not an Olympic weight and is most likely not as tough a weight class.  But he got bronzes at Olympic weights so he is no slouch.  I just don't see him beating Snyder.  My opinion for what it's worth.

Good move for Snyder in my opinion.  It never hurts to get a new perspective with winners. 

mspart

2 hours ago, cjc007 said:

Varner isn't known as a technician, nor is Cassar.

Cael has his ankle pick, it's Snyder's go to move.

Tervel was a great coach and technician in his own right.

Good luck to Kyle. He will need it against Saduleav if he wants to wrestle another full match against the best wrestler in the world.

Hell, convert to Islam too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Don't completely disagree.  I'm speaking more of a change of scenery and approach.  He could not scramble and his chief opponents have figured out how to shut down his strengths.  Personally, I think working with a guy like Humphrey would have been a good move, but staying put and keeping the same regimen wasn't going to cut it for 2020.  Tervel is a great coach and person, but whatever Snyder was doing at OSU reached its peak and stood still--not a way to remain on top at that high level of competition.

Wow! I applaud Kyle for this decision. I’m sure it wasn’t easy, but it was definitely a good idea. I think he said it well too... it’s not about who’s better than who, but getting a different look with different partners and coaches. Unfortunately, many recruits probably won’t see it that way and this will probably hurt tOSU. 

Also, I wonder what happens with Nickal? I would have assumed he was going go 197 this year. If Cox goes down to 86, Nickal would likely be Snyder’s biggest competition to make the Olympic team...either way he’s definitely one of his top competitors. Seems odd to be at the same club.

Along with making sense in terms of change of scenery, I wonder how the $$$ compares at NLWC vs Ohio RTC.  If this was driven by a better financial offer, I see that as a very good thing for the sport in terms of athletes being able to support themselves through RTCs. 

You know I have to respect how true Snyder stays to doing what is best for him. He should be selfish, as should any of our guys who want to be world and Olympic champs. 

I bet you guys like Tervel are disappointed and likely a little annoyed. They may even disagree with his decision even though his results have been slipping, but I bet you they respect it. 

snyder went about it the right way. 

He may very well be getting paid more, but there’s no way that money was the motivating factor here. He wants to win the Olympics and that’s the biggest driving force for him. 

Well I see it like this, (1) Kyle probably feels dissatisfied with his performance at the last two Worlds. So right there I believe he feels that he needs to do something different. (2) I also I think he wants to train with Nickal and Taylor, because both of those guys are great scramblers and funk masters, and he probably feels that will give him an advantage when he faces off with J’den. (3) Getting knowledge from Carl, Casey and Varner, has to be a good thing. He will also get to roll with Varner and Cassar and whoever else is there or they bring in for him. Kyle will probably go to the Yarygin so perhaps we will get a glimpse of what will be then. 

This does really suck for Kerklevit in particular. 

moore and Martin too.

Kerk will be fine. He is as talented as they come. Working with Tervel will help him tremendously.

Moore and Martin aren't on Kerk's level, probably never will be either. No shame in that, but I can't see either one repping team USA at worlds.

What happens if Snyder doesn't beat out Cox. Does he move to Jersey?

3 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

maybe snyder just isn't as good as we all thought he was ? he's a little stiff - his athleticism and natural born potential has as much impact on training - theres only so much improvement to be made. maybe all those iowa lightweights that could never medal at worlds should of left iowa hawkeye wrestling club because the brands weren't good coaches and training wasn't the best.

Actually, 

I do think Metcalf should have left Iowa.  I felt that way before he hung it up. 

As I have mentioned before, I also think JB should leave Nebraska.

We all know that throughout a season guys get to know each other other and their tendencies. This in and of itself can stifle things.  Heck even guys who wrestle several times get to know each other and it gets harder and harder to score.    Being in the same room for 6,7,8 years things can get static.  Sure they go here and there and get workouts in.  However, when they get back it is the same partners, coaching perspectives, etc.  You can fall back into your norm.  Going somewhere for a long stretch can help make those adjustments you get when you go to train for a week or two stick, so to speak. 

11 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

What happens if Snyder doesn't beat out Cox. Does he move to Jersey?

Whether he makes the team or not, he'll only be 24 years old and one of the most accomplished wrestlers in USA wrestling's history. Also, he seems to have incredible character and work ethic..so he'll be fine wherever he goes. 

Edited by Jon_Kozak

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

+

Disagree on your prior observation re Kerkvliet beating Cassar this year. I like Ant The Champ in that match.

The guy that remains the toughest for Cassar is Gable S. Just my $.02.

I can respect that but I will say I was referring to freestyle and not folkstyle. In folkstyle I think Kerkvliet is not quite there yet with Cassar.

truth be told the changing rtcs for fresh perspectives hasn't worked for ramos, molinaro, garrett, ed ruth, jordan oliver, etc.   and most people thought it would - in actuality they got worse.

Sometimes you just have to blame yourself. It's like saying JB needs fresh perspectives because he lost in the last seconds against the best in the world in russia two years in a row ? please. nebraska and ohio state were good enough for them to win gold but aren't now ?

kyle hasn't stalled out - he's always lost matches to guys , won close , and never been a sadulaev who dominates and is levels above his competition. The margin for kyle is thinner - and always has been. The worlds loss was not really a surprise....maybe the problem was he was too focused on sadulaev and not his other matches ? This is kind of a grasping for answers type move instead of an inward look at himself. I just don't see the evidence that these moves work. Dudes that are confident in themselves don't make these moves. This is a sign for Kyle that he has lost confidence - in himself and by proxy his training. You would never see Yanni lose confidence in Grey. Or Burroughs lose confidence in manning, or derienger in smith. "put me at ease that I tried that option"  - mr snyder is going through a wrestling crises right now and I hope he finds answers , but the real answer is it is himself that needs to step up to the plate and perform better and focus better, not other factors. Chance he gets worse mentally especially if this move doesn't payoff like he thinks it does. 

me thinks sadulaev is really playing with his head. 

Edited by alliseeisgold

10 hours ago, cjc007 said:

It's weird, basically questioning God.

God's plan and all.

Yeah, talk about a recruiting advantage for PSU, they even have God telling people to go there now

Yeah, talk about a recruiting advantage for PSU, they even have God telling people to go there now
If he wins it's God's plan.

If he loses its because of his training environment.

He needs to look inside, deep introspection. Not blaming his training situation.

41 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

If he wins it's God's plan.

If he loses its because of his training environment.

He needs to look inside, deep introspection. Not blaming his training situation.

What if the NLWC is a better training environment? Wouldn't that make him better? Isn't that what USA wrestling fans should want for Kyle Snyder-to become better?