buckeyehomer

Kyle Snyder to Penn State

8 hours ago, russelscout said:

Does this really change much for PSU? They werent missing out on talent at the upper weights. Their biggest miss in recruiting around that weight would be Gable and he didnt need a gold medalist to pull him in to Minnesota. I fail to see how this really changes anything for PSUs recruiting.

The golden boy of this current era who won world and Olympic golds while still in college, setting a new path of mixing in school and traveling the world. No matter what RTC he lands or where they sit on the totem pole it’s a big bonus in recruiting. Whenever we’re talking about “who could replace so and so coach if they were to get the bump” it’s always a Snyder or Burroughs or Dake, and it’s always because their name power will be a leg up in recruiting. He’s not there to coach, not at all. But “Kyle Snyder is training in the room everyday” is a recruiting pitch, and a good one. 

Edited by Lurker

17 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The golden boy of this current era who won world and Olympic golds while still in college, setting a new path of mixing in school and traveling the world. No matter what RTC he lands or where they sit on the totem pole it’s a big bonus in recruiting. Whenever we’re talking about “who could replace so and so coach if they were to get the bump” it’s always a Snyder or Burroughs or Dake, and it’s always because their name power will be a leg up in recruiting. He’s not there to coach, not at all. But “Kyle Snyder is training in the room everyday” is a recruiting pitch, and a good one. 

Ok, but who were they not getting in recruiting at the upper weights that they will now bc they have Kyle Snyder? They have consistently had a log jam of talent at the upper weights and just had champs at 197 and 285 last year. They havent really lost anyone huge bc of a lack of training partners there. I guess you could say Kerkvliet if you think that he went to tOSU just bc of Snyder. I doubt it was the only reason as it wasnt in his mind when he committed to Minnie and Okie St.

6 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Ok, but who were they not getting in recruiting at the upper weights that they will now bc they have Kyle Snyder? They have consistently had a log jam of talent at the upper weights and just had champs at 197 and 285 last year. They havent really lost anyone huge bc of a lack of training partners there. I guess you could say Kerkvliet if you think that he went to tOSU just bc of Snyder. I doubt it was the only reason as it wasnt in his mind when he committed to Minnie and Okie St.

It’s not something that will be “measurable” for some time I guess. In my opinion, no matter what weight, no matter what room, having Kyle Snyder training in your room everyday, not just an Olympic champ but again that path he set through his college years...having that experience, and wisdom gained from that experience that can be passed onto to any incoming athlete regardless of what weight class you are in, is a positive in recruiting that no one else in the country can offer.  

9 hours ago, BobbyGribbs said:

The rumor is his fiancé is enrolled in grad school there. Plus let’s be honest a change of scenery is needed. He will need anything he can get because I don’t see him touching Sadulaev and needs to get by Cox also

Dam Cal sure is a good recruiter. Wonder what the pitch was to Snyder's fiance lol.

Edited by Sublime607

One the one hand, this is great for Kyle Snyder. He gets to change up his training routine and location, providing a spark he may need. He is quoted as saying something to the effect of he "doesn't want to look back with regrets". I think many should salute this line of thinking and action.

On the other hand - oh, that other hand - what a blow to the Ohio-RTC, an organization that has trickled to obscurity with the departure of Lou Rosselli. At one point, this RTC has men vying for more than half of the weight classes with names like Bunch, Humphrey, Escobedo, Stieber (who may have been shortly after those three), Bergman, Rowlands, and Dlagnev, among others. Its social media presence was a pioneer for the unit, I assume publications/communications were being touted about, and I am positive the energy in Columbus was high. But now, just a few short years later, can anyone name three OH-RTC athletes?

A third piece to the puzzle is, as mentioned, recruiting; first on the college scene and then to the RTC team. The college recruiting component is crucial to the university's success. And having a thriving RTC only helps that. Hence the problem with this move - a crumbling/near-defunct RTC leaves OHST behind the curve against universities that can use their RTC as an added bonus. The truth of the matter for OH-RTC is that - from the outside looking in - it stopped recruiting/attracting top talent. Someone earlier mentioned OH-RTC going after Cox now. That ship sailed four years ago. It won't get him now.

Edited by RealAmericanHero

3 minutes ago, IronChef said:

This seems like an overstatement

That's fair. But if I may re-ask a question: can you name three OH-RTC athletes? (Again, there was a time when it was out front, leading in areas more than just top talent. I can honestly say I do not know of another OH-RTC athlete other than Kyle Snyder. And now he's gone. The fault could be on me, so I ask.)

EDIT: Is Myles Martin an OH-RTC athlete? If so, has he competed in an international-style event since graduation??

Edited by RealAmericanHero

In an effort to step back and consider my statement, and accept being wrong if indeed I was, I went to the OH-RTC website. I won't fault it for having Snyder on the page, who only yesterday made his announcement, but to have McKenna and Stieber on the site is - to me - a sign that someone is asleep at the wheel concerning its athletes.

Also of note, Myles Martin is an athlete featured on the page and so is Nathan Tomasello. The other two individuals are current OHST roster members.

In light of these points, I'm going to stand by my statement.

8 minutes ago, RealAmericanHero said:

In light of these points, I'm going to stand by my statement.

I'm in CBUS and your points seem pretty damn valid.  Nor is it something that hasn't gone unnoticed, at least by me.  Where are the wrestlers???

Their new training facility is quality, maybe that's gonna be their 'draw?'  

3 hours ago, russelscout said:

When it comes to their future heavyweight missed on Kerk and Gable and settled for a guy who got teched by Cassioppi in less than 2 minutes the last time he stepped on the mat.

Edited by MDogg

2 hours ago, MDogg said:

When it comes to their future heavyweight missed on Kerk and Gable and settled for a guy who got teched by Cassioppi in less than 2 minutes the last time he stepped on the mat.

I would maybe buy Kerkvliet, but do you really think Gable would have gone to PSU if Snyder were there? I dont. 

15 hours ago, russelscout said:

Does this really change much for PSU? They werent missing out on talent at the upper weights. Their biggest miss in recruiting around that weight would be Gable and he didnt need a gold medalist to pull him in to Minnesota. I fail to see how this really changes anything for PSUs recruiting.

Agreed. This doesn’t change the dynamic of recruiting heavies at PSU (though it will help the development of their bigs). Cael needs help on the other end of the scale to recruit, develop and retain lightweights. It’s been a little bit of an Achilles Heel.

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Snyder will be back at tOSU once the Olympics have passed and his fiancee is done with her degree. This only hurts current tOSU heavy and 197 who've lost a high-level training partner.

According to tbar, his fiancee goes to penn rather than penn state, so that is not his reason.