Jump to content
buckeyehomer

Kyle Snyder to Penn State

Recommended Posts

So what do the wrestling room heavies potentially look like now?

Cael, Varner, Snyder, DT, Bo, Cassar, Provisor, Conel, Beard(?), Nevills, Brooks, Brown (? does he ever train there?)... yeesh, those are some heavy duty training partners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, pamela said:

So what do the wrestling room heavies potentially look like now?

Cael, Varner, Snyder, DT, Bo, Cassar, Provisor, Conel, Beard(?), Nevills, Brooks, Brown (? does he ever train there?)... yeesh, those are some heavy duty training partners.

Hopefully Morgan McIntosh gets back once in a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, russelscout said:

I would maybe buy Kerkvliet, but do you really think Gable would have gone to PSU if Snyder were there? I dont. 

Perhaps but because of the family and geographical ties to the gophers, but how can any heavyweight say no to that room and those practice partners?

Edited by MDogg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pamela said:

So what do the wrestling room heavies potentially look like now?

Cael, Varner, Snyder, DT, Bo, Cassar, Provisor, Conel, Beard(?), Nevills, Brooks, Brown (? does he ever train there?)... yeesh, those are some heavy duty training partners.

Just started a topic on this in the college forum...but I don’t think there’s any question is the best upper/heavy weight room ever. And I forgot about Conel and Provisor. Though you also forgot about Cunningham who people say used to beat up on DT during practice in DT’s college days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MDogg said:

Perhaps not because of the family and geographical ties to the gophers, but how can any heavyweight say no to that room and those practice partners?

People do all the time. Sometimes the best guys come from rooms with very little competition. Gwiz didnt go to Binghamton  and then NCSt for room partners and yet he is one of the top guys in recent memory. Maybe just maybe a room full of studs isnt key to developing talent. 

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, russelscout said:

People do all the time. Sometimes the best guys come from rooms with very little competition. Gwiz didnt go to Binghamton  and then NCSt for room partners and yet he is one of the top guys in recent memory. Maybe just maybe a room full of studs isnt key to developing talent. 

First of all my reply above featured a material typo...it said “not” instead of “but” which actually changes things a lot (I’ve since edited and corrected). So I probably came across as disagreeing more strongly with you than intended.  

That being said: using an example like Gwiz committing to Binghamton is a little disingenuous. I was referring to star recruits that PSU would target and go after. Using Gwiz and his success is like highlighting Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman as examples why the quality of practice partners and teammates don’t impact how star basketball recruits decide where to commit. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MDogg said:

First of all my reply above featured a material typo...it said “not” instead of “but” which actually changes things a lot (I’ve since edited and corrected). So I probably came across as disagreeing more strongly with you than intended.  

That being said: using an example like Gwiz committing to Binghamton is a little disingenuous. I was referring to star recruits that PSU would target and go after. Using Gwiz and his success is like highlighting Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman as examples why the quality of practice partners and teammates don’t impact how star basketball recruits decide where to commit. 

 

Ok, but it goes back to my original argument...  they are already getting top classes and elite big guys. If they brought in a top 57 kg guy i would think this is a game changer, but for now it just appears to be more of the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, russelscout said:

Ok, but who were they not getting in recruiting at the upper weights that they will now bc they have Kyle Snyder? They have consistently had a log jam of talent at the upper weights and just had champs at 197 and 285 last year. They havent really lost anyone huge bc of a lack of training partners there. I guess you could say Kerkvliet if you think that he went to tOSU just bc of Snyder. I doubt it was the only reason as it wasnt in his mind when he committed to Minnie and piontsOkie St.

I'd say It's about Hwt results. With credit to Nevills being a 2X AA, it had been awhile since any pionts were recorded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I don't think you can really count Cassar as a top heavyweight recruit either, or Rasheed (97).  He worked his way up and got bigger so he could fit into the lineup.  Same with Rasheed.  Both of those guys were smaller recruits (I think around 74)  However as the depth built with guys like Talor getting bigger then Bo coming in, etc those guys had to build to gain a lot of weight and go up.  Then when Rasheed and Cassar were battling it out so Cassar had to go up again.  To add it took a 5th year of eligiblity before Cassar even built into that weight if I remember correctly.  So the only real top 97 and HWT "Recruit" was Nevils. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, scramble said:

And I don't think you can really count Cassar as a top heavyweight recruit either, or Rasheed (97).  He worked his way up and got bigger so he could fit into the lineup.  Same with Rasheed.  Both of those guys were smaller recruits (I think around 74)  

Cassar was the 2014 NJ State Champ at 195. He was recruited as a 197 to follow Morgan McIntosh. 

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 7:13 PM, MDogg said:

First of all my reply above featured a material typo...it said “not” instead of “but” which actually changes things a lot (I’ve since edited and corrected). So I probably came across as disagreeing more strongly with you than intended.  

That being said: using an example like Gwiz committing to Binghamton is a little disingenuous. I was referring to star recruits that PSU would target and go after. Using Gwiz and his success is like highlighting Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman as examples why the quality of practice partners and teammates don’t impact how star basketball recruits decide where to commit. 

 

“Material typo”

Whatever the case, I agree with the idea. Penn State is taking excellent prospects and making them into outstanding D1 wrestlers. Their strategy therefore relies on great recruiting. PSU has the trifecta of recruiting qualities:

* legendary coach

* dynastic status

* great room

These all require a lot of upkeep. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2019 at 7:09 PM, wrestlingnerd said:

They still have an edge in lightweights, especially Iowa, so they’ll always be in the game until that changes. 

Maybe NLWC can wipe out that edge by offering Spencer Lee more than HWC can afford to pay him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...