Sign in to follow this  
Fishbane

World Team Trials Procedure in 2011

Back in 2011 there was no Final X, so in general the winner of the WTT was the rep.  In the World Team Trials results that seems to be the case everywhere except 60kg where the trials final did not decide the rep.  For this weight the rep was to be decided after both competed in an international event.  I think they both entered a tournament in Europe and either neither placed or only Reece placed so ultimately he wrestled at worlds.  Why was this weight singled out for this special procedure?  Some other relevant background is that Humphrey was the US Open champion in 2011 and neither of these guys were the returning world team member.  Zadick wrestled at worlds in 2010.  Bunch was the world rep the previous year having gone 0-1 at worlds in 2009.  Below is a copy/paste from the WTT results.  

60 kg/132 lbs.
Bout One - Shawn Bunch, Columbus, Ohio (Gator WC) dec. Reece Humphrey, Columbus, Ohio (New York AC), 5-0, 4-1
Bout Two - Reece Humphrey, Columbus, Ohio (New York AC) dec. Shawn Bunch, Columbus, Ohio (Gator WC), 2-0, 1-0
Bout Three - Reece Humphrey, Columbus, Ohio (New York AC) dec. Shawn Bunch, Columbus, Ohio (Gator WC), 3-0, 3-0
Humphrey wins series, 2 matches to 0. The U.S. World Team spot will be determined later this summer, when Bunch and Humphrey compete in an international event which will be the final selection phase at this weight class.

https://content.usawmembership.com/results/101717

I think this was the tournament they used to decide the rep.  Humphrey finished 5th and Bunch lost to the wrestler that beat Humphery for 3rd.  Coleman Scott was also in the bracket, but lost his first match.  I don't think he could have been the world rep by the procedures even if he won the tournament. 

https://content.usawmembership.com/results/101730

The reason this weight was singled out I think had to do with Bunch winning some high profile international tournaments. USAW had implemented a rule that beyond just beating a proven wrestler in a best of three (after that wrestler was given a bye to the finals), you also had to outplace him at an international tournament to show you can compete international. 

At the time we had no medalists from USA returning, so they really wanted to encourage ppl to compete at international events. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

11 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

The reason this weight was singled out I think had to do with Bunch winning some high profile international tournaments. USAW had implemented a rule that beyond just beating a proven wrestler in a best of three (after that wrestler was given a bye to the finals), you also had to outplace him at an international tournament to show you can compete international. 

At the time we had no medalists from USA returning, so they really wanted to encourage ppl to compete at international events. 

Took a look back at the results of Humphrey and Bunch between the 2010 world championships and the 2011 WTT.  I guess back in 2011 first place at Medved was enough to get you special consideration even if you lost the wrestle off.

Humphrey - 4th place NYAC International, 5th place Schultz

Bunch - 5th place Takhti Cup, 1st Medved