150 - Nate Carr, Iowa State
158 - Ricky Stewart, Oklahoma State
167 - Mark Schultz, Oklahoma
177 - Ed Banach, Iowa
190 - Tom Martucci, College of New Jersey
UNL - Lou Banach, Iowa

Check out all the medalists! 

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_medalists.php?year=1981

**** Before Security got really tight at the NCAAs, I was lucky enough to meet and speak to the medal winners at Jadwin Gym.  A friend of mine and I saw something going on behind some partitions while we waited for the Parade of Champions.  We decided to investigate.  All the place winners were there in uniform.  We had the opportunity to talk and take pictures with many of them: Darryl Burley, Jim Gibbons, Ricky Dellagatta, Colin Kilrain and Jim Reilly, Ed and Lou Banach, Steve Sefter, Bruce Baumgardner, 
Randy Lewis, Dave Schultz and Ricky Steward and a couple of others.  The pictures are among about 15-20 boxes in our spare room.  Maybe some day I will have the time and energy to go through the boxes and find the pictures.  

51 minutes ago, Cary by the Lake said:

**** Before Security got really tight at the NCAAs, I was lucky enough to meet and speak to the medal winners at Jadwin Gym.  A friend of mine and I saw something going on behind some partitions while we waited for the Parade of Champions.  We decided to investigate.  All the place winners were there in uniform.  We had the opportunity to talk and take pictures with many of them: Darryl Burley, Jim Gibbons, Ricky Dellagatta, Colin Kilrain and Jim Reilly, Ed and Lou Banach, Steve Sefter, Bruce Baumgardner, 
Randy Lewis, Dave Schultz and Ricky Steward and a couple of others.  The pictures are among about 15-20 boxes in our spare room.  Maybe some day I will have the time and energy to go through the boxes and find the pictures.  

Better do it soon before the dyes fade too much on some of the color images. You should still have may in decent condition if they were kept in dark areas. Way different from what many will find in another 25 or so years with their digital photos. Many will no longer be able to be read by any computers. CD/DVD storage - you might not be able to find a player outside a museum. Even the best digital storage media starts losing information within 5 years - so good luck with that.

The days of the old shoebox full of prints from the grandparents is gone. We can still print from glass plates from the 1800's but many can't print from digital files done 10 years ago because bits and bytes/whatever is missing in the file and it can't be opened to even see what is on it.

Was The College of New Jersey DIII at that time too and Martucci got the prior benifit of lower division champs competing in DI championships. Or did it just drop down a few divisions since the 1980’s?  I always like hearing about the lesser known lower divisions guys making a major DI championship run when that was still an option.  

1 hour ago, MadMardigain said:

Was The College of New Jersey DIII at that time too and Martucci got the prior benifit of lower division champs competing in DI championships. Or did it just drop down a few divisions since the 1980’s?  I always like hearing about the lesser known lower divisions guys making a major DI championship run when that was still an option.  

I believe he's the only Div III wrestler to ever win a Div I title, before they ended the practice of allowing Div II and III champs to advance to the Div I tournament.

https://archive.bloomu.edu/sports/wrst99/martuccibio.htm

1 hour ago, MadMardigain said:

No. But Trenton State was

19 minutes ago, Sheerstress said:

I believe he's the only Div III wrestler to ever win a Div I title, before they ended the practice of allowing Div II and III champs to advance to the Div I tournament.

https://archive.bloomu.edu/sports/wrst99/martuccibio.htm

Ken Mallory Montclair State

On 10/11/2019 at 12:12 PM, Gantry said:

What can some of the gurus and old timers tell us about Cuestas, Stewart and Tom Martucci?  Those are the three names on there I don't really know anything about. 

Along with a couple other fans on this thread, I was there as a spectator. Ricky Stewart had a fireman's carry that was killer and no secret to any of his opponents. He hit Dave Schultz with it and stuck him just like that, BAM. A week or two prior to the NCAAs they met in the Big 8 finals and Schultz prevailed 4-2.

Edited by Gambatte
typo

17 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

Before there was even DII and DIII there was College Division and NAIA. And Prior to 1962(?) there wasn't even a "Small" College Division. Several teams now DI were either NAIA or College Division such as Cal Poly and Lock Haven. Other schools such as SIU Carbondale, Moorhead State, Adams State, Portland State competed in NAIA and/or the Small College Division. There is a handful of NCAA DI champions from that era :

Lock Haven: Elliot Gray Simon, Bill Blacksmith, Fred Powell, Ken Melchior
Portland State: Rick Sanders
Cal Poly: Tom Kline
Adams State: Nick Corollo
SIU Carbondale: Don Millard
Moorhead State: Bucky Maughn

Edited by Gambatte
typo

Remember that, before 1971, the NCAA tournament was essentially an "open" tournament.  Schools could send who they wanted or, in some cases, didn't send wrestlers to the tournament because it cost them money.  

There were no qualifiers.  Those started with a district concept in 1971 before moving to using conferences, a couple of regions, and the College Division (later Div 2 and 3) as qualifiers. 

I think Joe atiyah was 1 seed didn't make weight became silver medalist for Syria

Martucci was at LSU had Atiyah in weight went back Trenton state beat tough Tony Smith in finals D111 and went on roll to win D1 s

D11 had Gonzalez  champ year before Cuestas . Where takedown machine.

Gonzalez, Azevedo, Cuestas Cal State

Back to back to back

Want see fun match you tube 79 finals Gonzalez vs Mills. Wild

Frank C

Edited by cangemi

I thought this was interesting and something I did not know (but probably should have known). 

"But other schools had more disappointments than Iowa. Oklahoma, which came in with serious hopes of challenging Iowa, was blitzed early. The Sooners won two titles, Andre Metzger (142) and Mark Schultz (167), but a heavy favorite, Mark's brother, Dave, lost in the 158-pound finals. Dave is intent on international competition and doesn't exactly mouth the stuff of which OU recruiting brochures are made. Even before Dave lost, he was saying, "You've got to be crazy to wrestle. Everybody knows there's no money in it, and the way Title IX is going, there probably won't be any wrestling either. Plus, I don't like school. I'm just going along, making a little progress toward a degree. I guess I'm just a flake." Says one teammate, "He's a flake.""

Edited by jeffrideal