headshuck

Does Tayler get a raise?

5 hours ago, Peso said:

That would be good news that in our sport you can make a decent living.  Kyle is worth twice that, but if it's true it's a step up from the Foxcatcher days.

Considering wrestling doesn't have much of a TV presence at all, most of that 250K - assuming that's a correct figure - likely comes from sponsors.  From that perspective, I certainly wouldn't guess he was making that much.

If his Olympic gold netted him some mainstream sponsors, however, then I'd agree that 250K is pretty low, but Rudis is a niche company, at least in 2019, and I wouldn't expect them to pay that much.

Regardless, until very recently, no senior level wrestler was making anywhere near that money in the US.  I imagine JB deserves a lot of credit for that, but with his looks and demeanor, I'm surprised he hasn't generated mainstream sponsor interest.  Or maybe in the immediate post London Games years he did, in which case not medaling in Rio must have hurt financially.

5 hours ago, whaletail said:

Considering wrestling doesn't have much of a TV presence at all, most of that 250K - assuming that's a correct figure - likely comes from sponsors.  From that perspective, I certainly wouldn't guess he was making that much.

He's already signed with Rudis, which likely covers all apparel, so what sponsorships could he get that would add up to anything near that? Especially sponsors that he could only get by a move to NLWC. Also, why would sponsorship money be included in a base salary? Considering wrestlers for these clubs don't really bring in money directly to the club like pro athletes do in other sports (via ticket sales), I can't imagine they could afford to pay Snyder anywhere near that amount. I'm willing to bet that figure was pulled straight from someone's ass.

On 10/11/2019 at 9:29 PM, MadMardigain said:

But Snyder doesn’t have a stable of unicorns does he.  

The religious stuff at Penn State is right in line with Unicorns - which are mentioned in the Bible eight times.

Cats are not mentioned at all - so maybe they are really a myth?

Didn't PSU offer JB 175K a few years ago and caused Manning to scramble a bit to match it?

My source is pretty much in the know when it comes to RTC athlete salaries.

Right now we have several 150K a year athletes and if you ask me, if PSU has the cash, it is in their best interests to drive up the market value on these athletes to drive them out of certain "competitors" markets.

Very shrewd.

3 minutes ago, Boompa said:

Didn't PSU offer JB 175K a few years ago and caused Manning to scramble a bit to match it?

My source is pretty much in the know when it comes to RTC athlete salaries.

Right now we have several 150K a year athletes and if you ask me, if PSU has the cash, it is in their best interests to drive up the market value on these athletes to drive them out of certain "competitors" markets.

Very shrewd.

Wow, I wouldn't guess RTCs were paying salaries like that, even to the best guys, but I'm very happy for them.

obviously everything in here is 100% speculation and the couple people that have thrown a number have no real basis to that fact.

I wouldn't be surprised if snyder is making north of 100k/year as a straight salary from NLWC.  now with that said, I believe this type of salary is for the top 1% or maybe even less of today's current senior level wrestlers.  just a guess, but I would doubt anyone on the HWC is making that kind of scratch.

sounds like everyone is pretty aware of the endorsements these guys have but you also have to remember its not just free gear or travel expenses that they are covering.  Snyder has an entire BRAND attributed to him.  shoes, apparel, etc. he's getting a % of EVERY sale that is made with his name on it. 

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised if Snyder negotiated or even bought into some form of ownership stake in the company based on the high profile of the signing as well as all that living the dream fund cash he was sitting on coming out of college. 

add in other endeavors like David Taylor's M2 training facility, camps, speaking engagements, etc. and our top level athletes are making a very good living for themselves.

with that said - we are no where near other professional sports and won't be for quite some time if ever.  along with that I don't believe you will start seeing the compensation following suit of major sports (revealing pay) any time soon either and if you do start seeing it - PSU will be the absolute last person to jump on that train.

Edited by Witherman

Taylor, Cox, JB and Dake are all in the 150K range just from their RTC.

Molinaro was offered 50K right out of college to stay with NLWC and that was pretty much common knowledge at the time.

The salaries are correct.

4 hours ago, Boompa said:

Taylor, Cox, JB and Dake are all in the 150K range just from their RTC.

Molinaro was offered 50K right out of college to stay with NLWC and that was pretty much common knowledge at the time.

The salaries are correct.

May I ask where you are getting these #s from?  Not saying they are wrong but you are acting like it's common knowledge and this is the first most of us have heard of this.  I don't remember any articles/discussions about RTC salaries but maybe I missed it.

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Can a mod or someone please change the title to Taylor instead of Tayler?

It is PI$$ING me right TF off.

How about some respect?  Leave it as is.  A guy as revered as David Freakin Tayler deserves to have his name spelled correctly!!  Would you get some cheap jolly out of purposefully misspelling his name? 

May I ask where you are getting these #s from?  Not saying they are wrong but you are acting like it's common knowledge and this is the first most of us have heard of this.  I don't remember any articles/discussions about RTC salaries but maybe I missed it.

You haven't missed anything. The poster above either has inside info or (more likely) is making stuff up.

4 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

David Tayler is an amazing artist and something tells me he doesn't care about a raise, he cares about being the best in the world at his craft. in fact, you can check out his highlights on his webpage

http://www.davidtayler.com/

I thought we were talking about David Tayler the wrestler.  Check him out here: https://prowrestling.fandom.com/wiki/David_Tayler

The greatest collection of Lt Heavies in the history of our sport. If you threw all of them in a room who would be the last man out alive? In a street wrestling match. No striking just chocking and locked hands in any position:-) I would go:  Also who wins that bracket at say 210lbs?

1. Cassar
  2. Varner
  3. Snyder
  4. Gwiz (May leave if Cassar goes Heavy for Olympics)
  5. Conel
  6. Nickal
  7. Cael
  8. Taylor
  9. Rasheed
  10. Who else is there?