MDogg

PSU/NLWC is now the best room ever for upper/heavy weights

Current list of practice partners PSU can pitch to potential upper weight recruits:

Cael Sanderson

Kyle Snyder

Jake Varner

David Taylor

Bo Nickal

Anthony Cassar

Casey Cunningham 

So in aggregate this is what they can offer upper weight recruits as training partners:

16 NCAA titles

3 Olympic gold medalists (plus another world champ at an Olympic weight in DT)

7 hodge trophies 

Good luck recruiting against that...

Edited by MDogg

There are also a whole bunch of other very talented guys at the upper weights, too: 

Kyle Conel, Shakur Rasheed, Michael Beard, Mark Hall,  Aaron Brooks and Seth Nevills.

Gwiz frequently visits the NLWC as well.

28 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

Cunningham is an upperweight?  He won NCAAs at 157.  I doubt he competed above 76kg in freestyle

So because he cut weight to make 157lbs in 1999 that means he’s a middle weight today? That was 20 years ago. I’ve seen him a lot in person. No way he’s less than 185lbs.

If you think Cunningham is too small to be a practice partner with 174 and 184 pounders you’re nuts. 

18 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Casey is a great coach, but by no standard is he an upper weight training partner.

You think Cunningham is too small to go with 174 and 184 pounders? 

Perhaps you’re confusing “upper weights” with “heavyweight.” I never said or meant to imply he was a rolling around with 197 and heavyweights, but the term upper weights includes 174 and 184 and to some people 165.

2 hours ago, MDogg said:

Current list of practice partners PSU can pitch to potential upper weight recruits:

Cael Sanderson

Kyle Snyder

Jake Varner

David Taylor

Bo Nickal

Anthony Cassar

Casey Cunningham 

So in aggregate this is what they can offer upper weight recruits as training partners:

16 NCAA titles

3 Olympic gold medalists (plus another world champ at an Olympic weight in DT)

7 hodge trophies 

Good luck recruiting against that...

So if they dont send someone at 97 kg and 125kg for the olympics or win 197 and heavy this year, is it the biggest letdown in the history of the sport? I mean all that talent guarentees those wins right?

5 hours ago, MDogg said:

So because he cut weight to make 157lbs in 1999 that means he’s a middle weight today? That was 20 years ago. I’ve seen him a lot in person. No way he’s less than 185lbs.

If you think Cunningham is too small to be a practice partner with 174 and 184 pounders you’re nuts. 

I don't think he's too small at all. I just don't know if he trains with that much. I have no firsthand knowledge but if I had to bet my money it would be that his hard training days are over. The same with Cael. But I could be wrong.

8 hours ago, MDogg said:

Perhaps you’re confusing “upper weights” with “heavyweight.” I never said or meant to imply he was a rolling around with 197 and heavyweights, but the term upper weights includes 174 and 184 and to some people 165.

Anybody here view 165 as an upper weight?

And if so do you also view 157 as a lower weight? 

He's also 43 years old. He isn't a training partner.