scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

Tomorrow: 

SF:

133: #7 Tucker v Koontz (tOSU) - Rematch from the dual. Tucker got all the TDs.

Blood Round:

141: Baughman v #13 Parker (Iowa State) 

174: #15 Womack v Mantananoa (Oklahoma)

184: #7 Darmstadt v #11 Colbray (Iowa State)

197: Loew v #7 Aiello (Virginia)

So far Cornell has no wins over ranked wrestlers and only one win over a seeded wrestler - by Tucker over 9 seed Gerardi. Sitting in 11th.

Edited by ugarte

2 minutes ago, ugarte said:

Tomorrow: 

SF:

133: #7 Tucker v Koontz (tOSU) - Rematch from the dual. Tucker got all the TDs.

Blood Round:

141: Baughman v #13 Parker (Iowa State) 

174: #15 Womack v Montananoa (Oklahoma)

184: #7 Darmstadt v #11 Colbray (Iowa State)

197: Loew v #7 Aiello (Virginia)

So far Cornell has no wins over ranked wrestlers and only one win over a seeded wrestler - by Tucker over 9 seed Gerardi. Sitting in 11th.

Ah Tucker so many times I have predicted great things for him and so many times I have been left with a bad taste in my mouth. He can beat any 133 on a goodnight and lose to any on a bad. I'll stay away from predicting anything involving him this year.

1 hour ago, RedFan said:

Womack was up 2-0 with over 3 minutes of riding time in the 7th place match. With 20 sec left he got sloppy on top got reversed and pinned.

it was insane that he didn't give up that escape. he didn't even have a stall against him.

Venz pins Darmstadt and Deprez to take 5th. Darmstadt MFF in the 7th place match but did reverse Venz and get his own NF points, he just got reversed and decked.

Tucker is very fundamentally sound and very good but I don’t understand his strategy of taking one or two shots a match. He has to have the highest TD attempt to conversion percentage on the entire Cornell team, and that includes the AAs on Olympic RS. I’m not saying pull the trigger every few seconds, but one earnest attempt a period would likely yield 4 points a match for Tucker and he just keeps the other guy in it every time. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

19 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Tucker is very fundamentally sound and very good but I don’t understand his strategy of taking one or two shots a match. He has to have the highest TD attempt to conversion percentage on the entire Cornell team, and that includes the AAs on Olympic RS. I’m not saying pull the trigger every few seconds, but one earnest attempt a period would likely yield 4 points a match for Tucker and he just keeps the other guy in it every time. 

Isn't this exactly what Rob said in his most recent missive. It is a mystery. In the finals, he finished easily. But he only took one shot the whole match. Good thing that was enough. But I wonder how he avoided a stall call or more than one.

7 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Isn't this exactly what Rob said in his most recent missive. It is a mystery. In the finals, he finished easily. But he only took one shot the whole match. Good thing that was enough. But I wonder how he avoided a stall call or more than one.

when was his last newsletter? i haven't seen a full newsletter since late october.

as for chas's strategy i think he's very careful with his shots and that's why he converts at such an insane clip. he knows how strong his positional defense is and he pushes forward enough to avoid the stalling even when he isn't shooting. it's not like his opponents shoot much either since they're jammed up with wrist ties.

18 minutes ago, ugarte said:

when was his last newsletter? i haven't seen a full newsletter since late october.

as for chas's strategy i think he's very careful with his shots and that's why he converts at such an insane clip. he knows how strong his positional defense is and he pushes forward enough to avoid the stalling even when he isn't shooting. it's not like his opponents shoot much either since they're jammed up with wrist ties.

Here it is. I bolded the part about CT.

It’s been a while since my last missive. This is no indication of the team’s inactivity but rather me just waiting until I’m in a good mood so I can speak glowingly of our young men. It’s been a while since we started the season off with a 0-2 record, and despite the fact that both our losses came at the hands of outstanding competition, #8 NC State and #4 Ohio State, it’s not something we relish or intend to experience in the future! 

In our loss to NC State we looked flat and tired. It is not unusual for us to come out of gates slowly due to the fact that we aren’t permitted to compete until the third week of November but this year we wrestled a much better team than in the past and they exposed our weaknesses. Although I was disappointed in the outcome I was confident we would wrestle better after a couple one-hour weigh-ins. This past weekend we traveled to Columbus, OH, and although we were once again defeated, the team did look much better. I actually felt that, minus Ohio State’s home field advantage, we would have split matches 5-5. The good news is we had a great opportunity to wrestle in front of a large, boisterous, partisan environment, which will help our team compete successfully moving forward.

This weekend doesn’t get any easier as we travel the Las Vegas where we will see the toughest competition outside the NCAA tournament. 

125 Dom Lajoie 3rd Bearcat Open, 3rd Cornell Open, 8-4  Dom struggled all of last year with injuries and is finally getting his chance to compete. He is an incredibly hard worker and never gets tired, however he has not been applying his tenacity enough in matches. In order to enjoy the success, he works so hard to achieve he will need to become much more offensively oriented. Vegas is going to be great opportunity for him to let loose. Assuming this occurs, he has the tenacity to compete at a very high level.                                                                                                                                                                                                 

133 Chas Tucker 7-0  Chas has an annoying habit of keeping matches close. As anyone who has watched him wrestle in practice knows this is not necessary. Chas, if you read this, for the love of god, country, friends, family and most importantly your coaches, just blow guys off the damn mat!                                                                                                                                                                                 

141 Noah Baughman 1st Bearcat Open, 1st Cornell Open, 9-2  Noah has bumped up to 141 and made it his own. He will finally make to the NCAA’s this year and can make it to the podium.            

149 Hunter Richards 1st Bearcat Open, 1st Cornell Open, 8-2  Hunter has made great strides since last year. He is incredibly athletic and is going to jump into the national limelight come tournament time. He needs to be a little more controlled in the first period but once he figures this out he is going to be very tough to beat.                                                                                                                                                                

157 Colton Yapoujian 1st Bearcat Open, 1st Cornell Open, 11-1  Colton is freakishly strong and a brute on top. He needs to open up as his offense is very good. Sadly, he has been hiding this portion of his wrestling from his coaches but I am confident he will change this in Vegas!

165 Milik Dawkins 1st Cornell Open, 5-1  Milik was out for most of last year and is still getting back into form. Despite this he is still 5-1 and should improve markedly over the next couple months.

174 Brandon Womack 1st Cornell Open, 4-2  Brandon is working himself back into shape after missing most of the pre-season due to minor knee surgery. Brandon always comes on late in the season and I am certain he will be greatly improved over the next couple weeks.

184 Ben Darmstadt 2nd Bearcat Open, 1st Cornell Open, 8-2  Like Bama, Ben missed much of the preseason and of course all of last season. He has lost a couple close matches to high level competition but he will have an opportunity to avenge these loses throughout the season.

197 Jon Loew 2st Bearcat Open, 1st Cornell Open, 10-2  Jloew has gotten off to an outstanding early Freshman season, but this comes as no surprise to his coaches. He needs to manage his nerves a little better but that is just a matter of maturity. I expect for Jon to mature very quickly!

285 Brendan Furman 3rd Bearcat Open, 1st Cornell Open, 9-3  Brendan has lost a couple close bouts and will wrestle himself into shape over the next couple weeks. He needs competition more than his teammates because he doesn’t have many workout partners being that he weighs between 280-290. 

29 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Here it is. I bolded the part about CT...                              

157 Colton Yapoujian 1st Bearcat Open, 1st Cornell Open, 11-1  Colton is freakishly strong and a brute on top. He needs to open up as his offense is very good. Sadly, he has been hiding this portion of his wrestling from his coaches but I am confident he will change this in Vegas! 

thanks dan

i guess he should have been less confident about colton opening up. open up, colton!

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Darmstadt himself included. 

I gotta say, losing to hidlay, venz and deprez is not evidence that he wouldn't AA. The loss to Webster was bad, but ... kind of freakish. A great move by the Gopher but hopefully not a mistake Darmstadt would repeat. In the middle of all of this Darmstadt beat Colbray too, and even had some good stretches against Venz (even if he got a little too aggressive on top).

Someone needs to talk to Womack and Darmstadt about the merits of allowing an escape and what happens when you get sloppy trying to turn. Not that they don't already know, but ... someone should talk to them.

Senior Nationals (12/20-22) include the following Big Red-associated entrants in Freestyle so far:

57 kgs Vitali Arujau

57 kgs Nahshon Garrett

57 kgs Frank Perrelli

65 kgs Yianni Diakomihalis

65 kgs Joshua Saunders

86 kgs Maxwell Dean

1 hour ago, klehner said:

Senior Nationals (12/20-22) include the following Big Red-associated entrants in Freestyle so far:

57 kgs Vitali Arujau

57 kgs Nahshon Garrett

57 kgs Frank Perrelli

65 kgs Yianni Diakomihalis

65 kgs Joshua Saunders

86 kgs Maxwell Dean

+ Dake makes for a formidable footprint.