scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

On 12/22/2019 at 12:44 AM, wrestlingnerd said:

Seems Yianni has stopped improving after losing JO as a training partner.

with two points to give I don't know why he wasn't running away for the last 20 seconds (callback to the eierman loss) but even after giving up his legs he was under 2 seconds from winning. nothing in this tournament worried me.

Edited by ugarte

43 minutes ago, ugarte said:

with two points to give I don't know why he wasn't running away for the last 20 seconds (callback to the eierman loss) but even after giving up his legs he was under 2 seconds from winning. nothing in this tournament worried me.

That’s a fair way to look at it. Another fair way is every time he stepped on the mat, he was leveling up, at the NCAAs (except the match with McKenna which was quite controversial even as a fan), then at the US Open, then BTS, then either that ascent—whether in skill or confidence or both—stopped or at least slowed way down at a time when at least Zain and McKenna appear to have caught up or closed the gap and JO is wrestling the best he ever has. Yianni is going to give all those guys hell because he’s that good, but he was supposed to be the young buck nipping at their heals and then leaving them behind but that’s not what’s happening. 

1 minute ago, wrestlingnerd said:

That’s a fair way to look at it. Another fair way is every time he stepped on the mat, he was leveling up, at the NCAAs (except the match with McKenna which was quite controversial even as a fan), then at the US Open, then BTS, then either that ascent—whether in skill or confidence or both—stopped or at least slowed way down at a time when at least Zain and McKenna appear to have caught up or closed the gap and JO is wrestling the best he ever has. Yianni is going to give all those guys hell because he’s that good, but he was supposed to be the young buck nipping at their heals and then leaving them behind but that’s not what’s happening. 

I mean... he's still supposed to be a true junior in college. I'm not hitting the panic button because it turns out 65kg isn't a walkover weight before he's allowed to have a celebratory beer. it should be fun and sometimes frustrating for years to come. 

6 minutes ago, ugarte said:

I mean... he's still supposed to be a true junior in college. I'm not hitting the panic button because it turns out 65kg isn't a walkover weight before he's allowed to have a celebratory beer. it should be fun and sometimes frustrating for years to come. 

I’m not hitting any panic buttons. All I did was note that the jumps he was making appear to have stopped, and I think it’s quite obvious his inability to use his head and hands, which are conveniently attached to the longest arms in the weight class, is probably why. The guy can do everything world class but sprawl. He’s a kid, he’s human, And this is not a character judgment, just a fan’s opinion. How many times did Joey McKenna get in on Yianni? An unacceptable amount. If you just look at their history, it went from a decisive win at the dual to a highly controversial win at NCAAs, to an outright loss just now. That’s not a good trend and it is all about his inability to defend as basic a single as there is (this is not a knock on Joey’s excellent single, but isn’t the sprawl to defend a single the first move you learn in practice?). Just voicing a little frustration as a big fan. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

24 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I’m not hitting any panic buttons. All I did was note that the jumps he was making appear to have stopped, and I think it’s quite obvious his inability to use his head and hands, which are conveniently attached to the longest arms in the weight class, is probably why. The guy can do everything world class but sprawl. He’s a kid, he’s human, And this is not a character judgment, just a fan’s opinion. How many times did Joey McKenna get in on Yianni? An unacceptable amount. If you just look at their history, it went from a decisive win at the dual to a highly controversial win at NCAAs, to an outright loss just now. That’s not a good trend and it is all about his inability to defend as basic a single as there is (this is not a knock on Joey’s excellent single, but isn’t the sprawl to defend a single the first move you learn in practice?). Just voicing a little frustration as a big fan. 

OTOH, he barely beat Meredith at the NCAAs, but easily teched him this weekend. 

That said, he looked lethargic to me for most of the McKenna match, but the problem was a lack of offense, not bad defense.

26 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I guess my response is that he seems to choose not to sprawl in free, preferring to try to expose from a crotch lock or, failing that, get a stalemate. He sprawls in folk when the ref is more likely to award 2 despite the attempt at a crotch lift. 

15 minutes ago, NJDan said:

OTOH, he barely beat Meredith at the NCAAs, but easily teched him this weekend. 

That said, he looked lethargic to me for most of the McKenna match, but the problem was a lack of offense, not bad defense.

meredith was his freshman year. Not the same. 

I disagree. Watch the match again. McKenna took 4 real shots and one half shot. In the first, he had Yianni dead to rights but Yianni did that Exorcist move where his head spins around like a top and he doesn’t expose. Point is, balls deep. Second shot, balls deep, TD. Third shot, balls deep, push out. Fourth, a sprawl!! The half shot led to a Yianni reattack and his first TD. 

This is not a recipe for world level success. I love Yianni but let’s call a spade a spade. 

6 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

meredith was his freshman year. Not the same. 

I disagree. Watch the match again. McKenna took 4 real shots and one half shot. In the first, he had Yianni dead to rights but Yianni did that Exorcist move where his head spins around like a top and he doesn’t expose. Point is, balls deep. Second shot, balls deep, TD. Third shot, balls deep, push out. Fourth, a sprawl!! The half shot led to a Yianni reattack and his first TD. 

This is not a recipe for world level success. I love Yianni but let’s call a spade a spade. 

You may be right about the number of shots. But if Yianni shot more, McKenna would not be able to shoot so freely. No one shoot much on Spencer Lee b/c they are worried about defending his shots.

16 minutes ago, ugarte said:

I guess my response is that he seems to choose not to sprawl in free, preferring to try to expose from a crotch lock or, failing that, get a stalemate. He sprawls in folk when the ref is more likely to award 2 despite the attempt at a crotch lift. 

That goes counter to what he himself has stated several times in interviews as his biggest area for improvement. Not letting guys get in on his legs in the first place. I can assure you being in the exorcist position is not his first choice. 

On 12/26/2019 at 8:42 AM, Mphillips said:

This was posted a few weeks ago. Said something about, "184 being in the rearview mirror"  That was after Vegas.  Ben is back to 197.  The cut was too much.

Great to hear.  This move was such a bad idea from the get go.... a guy who is literally 6'4 or 6'5 cutting to 184.... yikes.  Also, made no sense long term with Max Dean coming back into the lineup at 184 next year.

''

On 12/22/2019 at 10:09 AM, wrestlingnerd said:

This is not getting enough buzz. Saunders lost to Meredith in round 1, then rattled off four consecutive wins including a tech versus Dardanes (multi-AA), win over Demas (AA), and 6-0 win over Lazor (AA who upset Molinaro). He now has Meredith again so will likely not advance further but what a tournament for an 18-year old. One of the most noteworthy runs. 

Also, someone said he wasn’t affiliated with Cornell earlier but hasn’t he committed and is on the same greyshirt path as all the other Cornell commits who have yet to matriculate? I found this interview of his dad who speaks about how they chose Cornell over Princeton, PSU, and Illinois: https://youtu.be/Nv9rBj-yr2s

Not to steal his thunder, but it also says a lot for Echemendia who completely thrashed him not too long ago.

28 minutes ago, Cradle1 said:

Not to steal his thunder, but it also says a lot for Echemendia who completely thrashed him not too long ago.

Yeah. He did. 

I do think Saunders looked better at the qualifier than ever before. He seems to have leveled up. 

Echemedia would still thrash him. 

A super athlete Cuban style wrestler with an American cardio and strength training is a scary combination.  

Track has updates on the wrestlers entered in the South Beach Duals.  There are a couple of weight changes for Cornell.  Moomey is shown at 125, not 133; and Santoro is shown at 157, not 165.  Could make the Big Red more competitive at a couple of weights.

3 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

Track has updates on the wrestlers entered in the South Beach Duals.  There are a couple of weight changes for Cornell.  Moomey is shown at 125, not 133; and Santoro is shown at 157, not 165.  Could make the Big Red more competitive at a couple of weights.

Big red I thought was solid at 157. 

2 hours ago, klehner said:

Yeah, I thought Yapoujian had that weight covered, but Santoro would be pretty good at 157.  Thought it was only a matter of time before Moomey hit 125.

Yapoujian isn't listed at all. Curious. 

Also curious is that the wrestler info makes it look like everyone is in high school. 

Edited by ugarte