scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

He plays the Jedi mind trick on guys because he looks like such a goober and wrestles so sloppy a lot of the time that it’s hard to show him too much respect. 

What I don’t get about Darmstadt is the ill-advised cut to 184 out of seemingly nowhere. What the hell motivated that?? Not to be too results-oriented, but why did that make any sense? With Zahid at 184, it’s a tougher weight to win, and his style works so much better against slower (bigger) guys. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

FLWC's Jacob Cardenas is the #7 pre-seed 197 at the Southern Scuffle starting tomorrow; Julian Ramirez is entered at 165  and Chris Foca at 174 (according to Flo https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6632750-big-time-redshirtsgreyshirts-at-southern-scuffle).

Their first real taste of high-quality D1 wrestling.

Eight FLWC guys (the usual suspects) will be there.  Ramirez should meet Joe Lee (RSFR, Penn State) in the round of 32.

Assuming he wins his first match at 174 against other non-seeds, Foca would face #2 seed Grello (Rutgers) in the round of 16.

Mason Reiniche gets to face #1 seed Joe Smith (OkState) in his first match of the year in the first round at 174.

Lewis Fernandes is also unseeded, but would have a #7 seed in the round of 16 before the #2 seed in the quarterfinals.

Edited by klehner

FloArena is listing 8 from FLWC participating at the Southern Scuffle:

157 LBS Benny Baker

174 LBS Chris Foca

197 LBS Jacob Cardenas

165 LBS Julian Ramirez

285 LBS Lewis Frenandes

174 LBS Mason Reiniche

125 LBS Romeo Mcneal

141 LBS Sal Jones

Ramirez lost to Straw from Iowa State 6-1, I think. Decent first period, defended a treetop and almost turned it into points but action was stopped for potentially dangerous. He didn't really do much after that. 

Foca and Fernandes advanced with first period falls. Looked great. 

Cardenas had a major in hand but got hit for stalling with a second or two left and won 8-1. Cardenas kind of coasted after a great first period. Blast double off the whistle, a 4NF and 2:55 in RT. NDSU kid chose neutral for the second period and the two of them waltzed around four the next two periods with the exception of an escape to start the third. 

Edited by ugarte

Foca takes an early lead and outlasts 2 seed Grello 8-7. Gassed at the end. Tough match with 7 seed Richard from VMI coming up in the QF. Womack beat Richard in the first round of NCAA last year. 

Cardenas majored a guy fron Gardener-Webb 10-1 and faces 2 seed Traxler fron Stanford. 

Fernandes wins 7-1 over a guy from Stanford and has the 2 seed Gremmel from Iowa State next. 

Ramirez had a bye in his consi and will face a guy from Bakersfield. All other FLWC guys went 0-2.

FLWC got shredded in the QF.

Foca got teched, Cardenas got a late takedown away to avoid getting majored and Fernandes spent most of the match with Gremmel on top of him.

Ramirez got pinned in his match too. Rough session. 

Edited by ugarte

1 hour ago, lost said:

None of these cornell recruits have impressed thus far, sadly.

I've been wondering how it would work out with them competing for spots with Berreyesa, Dean, Darmstadt and Furman next year.  The answers are slowly coming into focus.

33 minutes ago, NonspecificJargon said:

Simply inaccurate. Foca, Fernandes, and Cardenas have had excellent grey shirt years. They wrestled poorly in the scuffle quarters as young wrestlers often do. 

They were hyped up as future world beaters and were dominated in their matches by middle of the pack competition. 

1 hour ago, SamStall365247 said:

They were hyped up as future world beaters and were dominated in their matches by middle of the pack competition. 

To be fair, none of them was hyped up that much. But your point is spot on for this weekend. They beat the guys they should’ve beat and didn’t do jack against guys I thought they’d beat. I’d say their stock dropped yesterday pretty much without exception, but it’s early and they haven’t spent any time with the Cornell staff yet.  

3 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

Flo has Nathan Traxler ranked #6 at 197.  Foca beat Flo #10 Grello at 174.  Fernandes lost to Flo #12 Gremmel. Is Top Ten now "middle of the pack?"  Methinks your
bias is showing.  Who hyped these guys as "future world beaters"?  Speaking for myself, I see each of these as starters for a national-caliber Cornell team in the years
to come, and specifically Fernandes as a future AA.  Pretty sure nobody touted them as even potential National Champions.  Nice straw man.

BTW, each of those three is probably three years younger than those opponents, and of course fresh out of high school.

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

To be fair, none of them was hyped up that much. But your point is spot on for this weekend. They beat the guys they should’ve beat and didn’t do jack against guys I thought they’d beat. I’d say their stock dropped yesterday pretty much without exception, but it’s early and they haven’t spent any time with the Cornell staff yet.  

So, Foca was expected (by you) to beat Rutgers' #10-ranked and #2-seeded guy, and Fernandes was expected to beat the #12-ranked and #2-seeded guy??  That's pretty good hype you set up.

I get your points.  I guess I would just expect that a much ballyhooed recruiting class with multiple top 10 guys would have put at least one guy in the semis of a second tier tournament.  Some guys are ready to rumble right away and other aren't.  But the only guy I've watched and specifically unimpressed by is Julian Ramirez.  I haven't seen as much footage on the others, just the results.

29 minutes ago, klehner said:

So, Foca was expected (by you) to beat Rutgers' #10-ranked and #2-seeded guy, and Fernandes was expected to beat the #12-ranked and #2-seeded guy??  That's pretty good hype you set up.

It’s not that they lost as much as not doing jack. I stand by my opinion. It isn’t hype. 

I still expect them to be very good in the future. But it was not a good showing. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

That wasn't my question

Then nobody has the answer. Unless you are in the program, how would you ever know? Hearsay doesn’t count. What I am 100% confident of is that Koll and staff are not having the influence they have during a regular year during grey shirts. It’s physically impossible to be in two places at one time.