scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

10 hours ago, red blades said:

Lehigh vs. Cornell - Time to chat this one up?

If I plug in what I THINK will be the lineups, Wrestlestat prediction shows it at 18-12 for Lehigh.  I think it gets the wins/ losses correct, but I think Lehigh has a bit more potential for some bonus wins.  Some key questions:

• Will Yapoujian be available for Cornell?
  • If Yap is a go - who will go 165 for Cornell?
  • Will Jimmy Hoffman be available for Lehigh?

That would be a negative, RB.

... uh, for any reason would some of the Oly RS's "magically" appear in the lineup next Saturday? ;-P

(jess wunderin'...)

D3

24 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

That would be a negative, RB.

... uh, for any reason would some of the Oly RS's "magically" appear in the lineup next Saturday? ;-P

(jess wunderin'...)

D3

Not hearing anything along those lines.  Yianni and Vito are both qualified for the Olympic Trials, so I expect they will stay on course for that.  Dean and Berryessa are not now qualified for the trials, but I'm not sure if they will (or even can) come back for second term...  

9 hours ago, red blades said:

Not hearing anything along those lines.  Yianni and Vito are both qualified for the Olympic Trials, so I expect they will stay on course for that.  Dean and Berryessa are not now qualified for the trials, but I'm not sure if they will (or even can) come back for second term...  

Arujau,  Berreyesa, Dean, and Diakomihalis are all now removed from cornellbigred.com's wrestling roster page.  They'd been there until (more or less) just now.  Pretty sure we
can put this rumor to rest.

18 hours ago, NJDan said:

Why are Yianni and Vito not in Italy?

They have no say in going.  USAW, I believe, chooses the contestants, as this is a qualifying/ranking tournament (or whatever).  It's not like the Spanish Grand Prix where more or less anyone can enter.  USAW can't send half their ranked wrestlers, and Yianni and Vito aren't right now in the top three in their respective weight classes.

That's my shoot-from-the-hip response.

10 hours ago, red blades said:

Keep in mind, the Wrestlestat list includes all competition (D2, D3, Juco).  The NCAA list is only D1 stats.

My point was that this information is available and updated on a daily basis, rather than waiting for the NCAA to publish it at random times.  Easy enough to
look down the list for a given wrestler and count only the falls against D1 guys.

BTW, Darmstadt has now passed Brian Realbuto and Travis Lee to move into 9th in career falls with 29...after 1.5 seasons.  At this rate, he may take the lead
from Mack Lewnes' 55 pins by the end of his junior year.

15 hours ago, klehner said:

They have no say in going.  USAW, I believe, chooses the contestants, as this is a qualifying/ranking tournament (or whatever).  It's not like the Spanish Grand Prix where more or less anyone can enter.  USAW can't send half their ranked wrestlers, and Yianni and Vito aren't right now in the top three in their respective weight classes.

That's my shoot-from-the-hip response.

Yianni is #2 on the National Team Ladder at 65kg.  Dake and Green are nada at 74kg.  Not trying to be argumentative so much but there has to be other reasoning, from whichever side, than that. 

28 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Is that true now? I can’t imagine it is after losing to McKenna and JO’s rise. 

i don't think USAW updates the ladder (publicly) more than once a year

12 hours ago, red blades said:

Keep in mind, the Wrestlestat list includes all competition (D2, D3, Juco).  The NCAA list is only D1 stats.

Doesn't matter .... Darmstadt has only faced D1 opponents this season.

Wrestlestat is saying Lehigh 18-12 (with Womack in and Karam subbing for Hoffman) but hoo boy do I fear it's going to be worse than that. Wrestlestat is very conservative on awarding bonus points.

24 minutes ago, ugarte said:

Wrestlestat is saying Lehigh 18-12 (with Womack in and Karam subbing for Hoffman) but hoo boy do I fear it's going to be worse than that. Wrestlestat is very conservative on awarding bonus points.

Gonna be worse.  Projected lineup just posted (no Yapoujian, no Womack):

125 Dom LaJoie (10-10)
133 #5 Chas Tucker (17-0)
141 Noah Baughman (14-7)
149 Hunter Richard (11-7)
157 Adam Santoro (8-8)
165 Milik Dawkins (8-6) or Andrew Merola (4-6)
174 Milik Dawkins (8-6) or Andrew Merola (4-6)
184 Jonathan Loew (15-7)
197 #10 Ben Darmstadt (18-4)
HWT Brendan Furman (12-7)

4 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Is that true now? I can’t imagine it is after losing to McKenna and JO’s rise. 

Yes.  Regardless of in season results the National Team and positioning stays the same until the next Trials.

3 hours ago, klehner said:

Gonna be worse.  Projected lineup just posted (no Yapoujian, no Womack):

125 Dom LaJoie (10-10)
133 #5 Chas Tucker (17-0)
141 Noah Baughman (14-7)
149 Hunter Richard (11-7)
157 Adam Santoro (8-8)
165 Milik Dawkins (8-6) or Andrew Merola (4-6)
174 Milik Dawkins (8-6) or Andrew Merola (4-6)
184 Jonathan Loew (15-7)
197 #10 Ben Darmstadt (18-4)
HWT Brendan Furman (12-7)

In a private e-mail my opinion was that Lehigh was favored in six bouts, Cornell in two, with two close to even.  If everything breaks Lehigh's way (when does that ever happen?) it'll look like a rout.  If everything breaks Cornell's way and Lehigh drops one upset, then it comes down to bonus points or the dreaded criterion c.

I'd say Tucker and Darmstadt are likely wins, and would not count out Baughman or Loew.  Maybe Richard can take an upset win over Karam? 165 doesn't look strong for either team, but Dawkins just did not look good at South Beach; maybe a tough cut after the long break?  In any case, it's hard to see any path for Cornell to win this one without Yap and Womack.  It looks like Lehigh will extend it's current streak in the series - up to two?

Edited by red blades

FWIW:

Here's the Probable Starters from the Lehigh Match Notes:

125 No. 6 Brandon Paetzell (Jr., Phillipsburg, N.J.) 8-2 OR Luke Resnick (So., Chester Springs, Pa.) 4-5

133 Nick Farro (Jr., Morristown, N.J.) 7-3 OR Jaret Lane (So., Catawissa, Pa.) 11-5

141 Ryan Pomrinca (Sr., Annandale, N.J.) 6-5 OR Dan Moran (So., Bethlehem, Pa.) 8-2

149 Luke Karam (Jr., Bath, Pa.) 8-2

157 No. 9 Josh Humphreys (So., Parkersburg, W. Va.) 8-4 OR AJ Burkhart (Fr., Athens, Pa.) 6-7

165 Brian Meyer (Fr., Phillipsburg, N.J.) 5-11

174 No. 3 Jordan Kutler (Sr., Sparta, N.J.) 9-1

184 No. 19 Chris Weiler (Jr., Biglerville, Pa.) 9-5

197 No. 20 Jake Jakobsen (Jr., Sciota, Pa.) 8-4

285 No. 11 Jordan Wood (Jr., Gilbertsville, Pa.) 6-4

This should be a good match. It would be disappointing for Lehigh if they can't win with both Yapoujian and Womack out for Cornell,  which opens up both of those weights for bonus points, imo. But, the Evil Ivy empire has 2 locks and good chances in the 4 swing matches, so there's definitely a path to victory for them.

I think Hoffman would have matched up better vs Richard, but Karam has been written off a little too quickly by some fans. Kutler doesn't get too many back points or pins, but he's definitely capable of putting on a takedown clinic vs a lot of guys (ask Berryessa). Jake has given up a pin and a major vs Darmstadt in the past, but you'd think that as the tallest Lehigh wrestler should be able to match up against the 6'5" pin machine. 

Looking forward to this one. I'm even going to get back on ESPN+ for a month.

Edited by LU in the Hub
typo