scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

On 10/19/2019 at 12:27 PM, ugarte said:

My kid is wishing all of the O-shirts good luck in their quests but shocked that I'm not more upset that the top-7 streak at NCAAs is doomed.

I actually think this year will be pretty fun as far as seeing who steps in and produces. Next man up mentality.

Just now, Frank_Rizzo said:

The redshirting situation at Cornell this year is ridiculous for anyone not named Yianni Diakomihalis.  

Vito has a shot (admittedly a long one) at the 57kg spot next year.  I am not sure where Berryessa stands in GR as I do not follow GR that closely.   I think it is great that Koll is backing his athlete's dreams.  Although this will hurt Cornell's results as a team this year it may set them up to do great in the 2021 & 22 seasons.  If their new incoming classes develop they may be in the mix to win that elusive team NC in those years. .

9 minutes ago, LordNelson said:

It’s not crazy to think the streak of 3 AAs will continue. Darmstadt, Tucker, Womack, Sweeney and someone I’m sure to be missing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am pretty sure Sweeney graduated - You will have Furman or Janney at heavyweight. 

23 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I am pretty sure Sweeney graduated - You will have Furman or Janney at heavyweight. 

Correct on sweeney. I liked Fernandez chances but hes not showing on the roster so I'm guessing finger lakes route this year. I predict him to be Cornells first HWT AA down the road.

Edited by Sublime607

Here's Rob's latest Update:

It is less than a month until the very new look Cornell wrestling squad faces off against NC State. Assuming we are perfectly healthy our starting line-up will have no less than six new faces. I can say with no hesitation that this is by far the largest turnover we have ever experienced. The good news is, although they won’t be donning a Cornell singlet this year, Vito, Yianni, Andy Berreyesa and Max Dean are all still in the room, improving, and prepping for Olympic and world competition. As a matter of fact, Max, Andy and Chas Tucker will be competing next week at the U23 World Championships in Budapest.  Max and Chas wrestle on 29th and 30th, while Andy’s Greco Roman competition will run from the 2nd-3rd. I’m fairly confident you will be able to follow the competition live at: https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/u23-senior-world-championships. The coverage is sometimes spotty so don’t bother pestering me if you can’t get the feed. I assure you, despite anyone’s advanced age or lack of technical mastery, you are undoubtedly better than me at figuring how to pull this stuff up. So save your energy and go directly to your kids, or grandkids! 

Friedman Wrestling Center Renovation and Expansion 
Arguably Cornell wrestling’s greatest contribution to the sport, (Kyle might disagree!), has been the Friedman Wrestling Center. When we built our facility, we were the only school that had the courage and ability to seriously invest into the sport. Since that time most other schools have improved or built new facilities for their programs. This has in turn helped raise the profile of the sport on campuses across the country. Now it is time to once again raise the ante. This November Cornell will be breaking ground on a 6,300 sq. ft. addition and renovation project. Once again Steve and Barbara Friedman have stepped up to support this project. They, along with many other generous loyal alumni and friends have made this dream become a soon to be reality. Completion is scheduled for this August. Sorry if I have yet to contact you but rest assured the call is coming! Although we have secured the funds to get our project off the ground we still have numerous giving opportunities and needs. Which is a very smooth transition for… 

Phon-a-thon 
That’s right the phon-a-thon has moved to October 27. Yep, that’s this Sunday. Please make sure to answer your phone when you see (607) area code show up on your phone. Feel free to harass our callers to your delight but also please help us have the highest percentage of participation of any team at Cornell. As is our tradition if we happen to miss you I will have our guys write you a nice letter and if you are lucky I might even put you down for a gift!  

Edited by red blades

Big thanks again to the Friedmans!  The design pictures of the new spaces look sweet.  

Freestyle wrestling room?  No more Dake injuries!  Haha.

They really did need more space in the weight room.  

Think Alumni could try out the hot and cold tubs?  

16 hours ago, Gantry said:

Is that Tucker?  I thought he declines his U23 invite, change of heart?

Initial reports were that he wasn't going - he said as much in an interview himself - but a poster on the Wrestling Report forum said all along that he was going to go. Turns out El Crypto knew the truth all along.

On 10/18/2019 at 2:08 PM, red blades said:

4 more weeks until Binghamton Jonathan Kaloust Bearcat Open.  You guys getting ready?

Binghamton is still two weeks away, and is usually the unofficial opening of the Cornell season - but maybe we'll get a sneak-preview of a few guys this weekend?  Clarion Open, Brockport?  Any word out there?

Looks like Max and Chas both have tough draws:

2019 U23 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
at Budapest, Hungary (Oct. 28-Nov. 3)

U.S. men’s freestyle draws
61 kg: Chas Tucker (Worcester, Mass./Finger Lakes WC/ Titan Mercury WC)
vs. Mohammadbagher Yakhkeshi (Iran), fifth at 2018 Senior Worlds, gold at 2018 Yasar Dogu

74 kg: Brady Berge (Mantorville, Minn./Nittany Lion WC)
vs. Razambek Zhamalov (Russia), silver at 2018 Junior Worlds, gold at 2019 U23 European Championships

86 kg: Max Dean (Lowell, Mich./Finger Lakes WC/ Titan Mercury WC)
vs. Hayato Ishiguro (Japan), gold at 2018 Junior Worlds

92 kg: Bo Nickal (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC)
vs. Hossein Shahbazigazvar (Iran), gold at 2016 Junior Worlds, bronze at 2018 U23 Worlds, bronze at 2012 Cadet Worlds

125 kg: Daniel Greg Kerkvliet (Inver Grove Heights, Minn./Ohio RTC/ Titan Mercury WC)
vs. Lior Altshuler (Israel), silver in Greco and bronze in freestyle at 2017 Maccabi Games

I like Koll's November and December schedule.  Fairly light and really doesn't get going until January.  Maybe its because I was once was one of those wrestlers who competed all through Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Really sucked and I see most teams do that.  Also, maybe Koll is thinking about how tough December (with finals) can be for his wrestlers.  Anyone in "the know" have an idea of this is Koll's philosophy?

16 minutes ago, pennsyrules said:

I like Koll's November and December schedule.  Fairly light and really doesn't get going until January.  Maybe its because I was once was one of those wrestlers who competed all through Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Really sucked and I see most teams do that.  Also, maybe Koll is thinking about how tough December (with finals) can be for his wrestlers.  Anyone in "the know" have an idea of this is Koll's philosophy?

Rob has pretty much said all  of this in recent years; and the idea of easing into the  season is part of the thinking behind South Beach Duals - making it more of a training  trip with some warm weather and time  on the beach thrown into the mix.

I think this is part of the movement being endorsed by a number of coaches to make wrestling  more of a second semester sport?