scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

30 minutes ago, ugarte said:

I like to see a lot of "or" in the Lehigh roster I guess. Beats seeing a guy in the top 10.

If, after three bouts, Lehigh has an insurmountable lead, they can put in the pine squad?

Just to add a little sauce to the entree:

https://lehighsports.com/news/2020/1/10/wrestling-no-14-lehigh-takes-final-nine-bouts-in-36-3-win-at-binghamton.aspx

Chris Weiler defeated top ten ranked and recent SoScuff champ Lou Deprez 6-2 last evening.

After giving up the intial TD, Weiler scored 5 unanswered points + RT to take the bout.

He rode him exceptionally well... things are definitely looking up for him.

(So far... no internet rumblings about excuses for the loss. Yesterday's dec. is looking more and more legit. )

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

LaJoie - Cornell loses 5-4

Tucker - Cornell wins 6-4 OT

Baughman - Cornell loses 2-1

Richard - Cornell wins 13-3  Match score, 7-6

Santoro - Cornell loses 6-2

Brindley - Cornell Missed it.  12-7 Match score.

Dawkins - Cornell loses 9-1 16-7 Match score.

Loew - Cornell BIG win over Weiler 8-6!  16-10 Match score.  BIG MATCH!

Darmstadt - Cornell wins 8-0 Match score 16-14 LHU  

Furman - Cornell Loses 5-0  LHU wins 19-14

Loew's win over Weiler made my weekend! :-D No fluke, he just flat out wore Weiler down.  That should nudge Loew up a bit in the rankings.

Overall, a surprisingly competitive dual - 141 could have gone either way, and 165 went to OT.  If Cornell had won either of those, they could have taken the dual.

Let's hope they can get past Columbia now...

22 minutes ago, red blades said:

Loew's win over Weiler made my weekend! :-D No fluke, he just flat out wore Weiler down.  That should nudge Loew up a bit in the rankings.

Weiler could barely get up towards the end of the 3rd.  Great win for Loew.

2 hours ago, klehner said:

Weiler hurt his shoulder at the end of the match.

I thought he injured it in the first period when he got the first takedown crashing out of bounds. When he got up it looked like he was favoring his left arm and was looking to the coaches. Loew was impressive. 

Edited by Gambatte

FLWC at Shorty Hitchcock:

Reiniche:  5th @174

Fernandes:  3rd @285 (lost to Kerkvliet of PSU 6-4, pins in :59, 1:02, and 1:05)

Ramirez:  2nd @165 (pinned to a college PG in the final, otherwise 3 majors and a :23 pin)

Cardenas:  1st @197 

14 hours ago, Gambatte said:

I thought he injured it in the first period when he got the first takedown crashing out of bounds. When he got up it looked like he was favoring his left arm and was looking to the coaches. Loew was impressive. 

I did see once later in the match that he was holding his arm after going OOB.  I hope it's not serious.  That he finished the match is hopefully encouraging.

Darmstadt MFF out of the Columbia match is pretty disconcerting.

9 minutes ago, red blades said:

I did see once later in the match that he was holding his arm after going OOB.  I hope it's not serious.  That he finished the match is hopefully encouraging.

I was at the dual and Darmy looked pretty banged up. If it was his rib/costochondral cartilage or even intercostal muscle it could keep him on the shelf for a while.  Poor guy can’t catch a break. 

12 minutes ago, red blades said:

I was at the dual and Darmy looked pretty banged up. If it was his rib/costochondral cartilage or even intercostal muscle it could keep him on the shelf for a while.  Poor guy can’t catch a break. 

Also Womack was on the sideline in a sling and Yapoujian was in a knee immobilizer.... Hope we see all these guys healthy for NCAAS. 

The Columbia guy knew he was at the edge, imo, but tossed Darmstadt off the mat into the edge of the 1st. row after giving up a 6 pointer. Luckily, it looks like the step edge is rounded and maybe even padded. Hopefully, the ribs are OK and he's just going to be sore for a week.

Cornell is going to be 2 deep at all the higher weights next year. 

darmstadt.jpg.6a7fd37ac12a02b75ac927871b23f3c3.jpg

9 minutes ago, LU in the Hub said:

The Columbia guy knew he was at the edge, imo, but tossed Darmstadt off the mat into the edge of the 1st. row after giving up a 6 pointer. Luckily, it looks like the step edge is rounded and maybe even padded. Hopefully, the ribs are OK and he's just going to be sore for a week.

darmstadt.jpg.6a7fd37ac12a02b75ac927871b23f3c3.jpg

First reports are that it's a cartilage injury.  I don't believe it happened it from hitting the bleachers...

43 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

First reports are that it's a cartilage injury.  I don't believe it happened it from hitting the bleachers...

Good luck to him. I've got rib cartilage that still hurts 10 years after the injury.

I don't think the Columbia guy will fare well if he sees Darmstadt again.

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Was the match as close as the score? Damn impressive overall. 

I watched. Looked like Darmstadt was mauling him. Columbia kid was hand slapping his coaches after D forfeited. Perhaps an automatic reaction but visually distasteful.

I would think Cornell and Lehigh could agree that the wrestling circles, in Friedman and Grace, are too close to some seats and to the score tables. The easy solution, in both cases is to replace the 42 foot circles with 37-38 circles. Lehigh could also move the Glass wall behind the scores table 4 or 5 feet into the lobby, a more expensive solution, but it would leave a 42 foot wrestling area. I don;t know about Friedman, never been in it when it was in competition mode.

Sooner or later a season, even career ending, injury will occur.