scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

Yeech -- a cartilage injury is what pretty much ended Mike Pirozzola's promising career in the early '00s.  Didn't take an impact -- Mike was being ridden by a tight waist, turned the wrong way, that's all it took.  Let's hope Darmstadt's injury is less severe.

Listen I get you want to take something positive out of the Lehigh dual.....but Loew's win over Weiler is not something you should get that excited about......Weiler has a history of gassing out badly, losing matches he should win (and then looking puzzingly good other times) AND injured his shoulder in the first period.....

Not saying Loew is not going to be good, just wouldn't decide that by a win over Weiler......you can say BUT he just beat Lou Deprez, and I would respond with not that surprised, and also wouldn't have been surprised if he lost to Cornell's third string 184 the next day.......

18 hours ago, RichB said:

I would think Cornell and Lehigh could agree that the wrestling circles, in Friedman and Grace, are too close to some seats and to the score tables. .

Sooner or later a season, even career ending, injury will occur.

Fair enough.  FWIW,  Darmstadt's injury didn't come from the bleachers, but I hear what your saying.

30 minutes ago, Spladle88 said:

Listen I get you want to take something positive out of the Lehigh dual.....but Loew's win over Weiler is not something you should get that excited about......Weiler has a history of gassing out badly, losing matches he should win (and then looking puzzingly good other times) AND injured his shoulder in the first period.....

Not saying Loew is not going to be good, just wouldn't decide that by a win over Weiler......you can say BUT he just beat Lou Deprez, and I would respond with not that surprised, and also wouldn't have been surprised if he lost to Cornell's third string 184 the next day.......

Let us have a moment of light in a otherwise dark season :) but I agree with everything you said.

On 1/11/2020 at 10:55 AM, D3 for LU said:

Just to add a little sauce to the entree:

https://lehighsports.com/news/2020/1/10/wrestling-no-14-lehigh-takes-final-nine-bouts-in-36-3-win-at-binghamton.aspx

Chris Weiler defeated top ten ranked and recent SoScuff champ Lou Deprez 6-2 last evening.

After giving up the intial TD, Weiler scored 5 unanswered points + RT to take the bout.

He rode him exceptionally well... things are definitely looking up for him.

(So far... no internet rumblings about excuses for the loss. Yesterday's dec. is looking more and more legit. )

D3

As compared to:

1 hour ago, Spladle88 said:

I like the contrast there - according to Lehigh fans, Weiler's win over Deprez is something to crow about on the Cornell thread, but Loew's win over Weiler the very next day is no big deal?

Whatever - I agree that you can't take too much away from one match, and stuff happens, guys get sick, have a tough cut, tweak something, etc. and it does affect results.  I get that.  Nevertheless, Loew's win over Weiler is a bit of a boost to his resume, and at 17-7, I think we'll see Loew jump Weiler in most of the rankings this week.  That should help boost his standing for EIWA's and hopefully, NCAA's.  That's worth cheering about!

As for finding other positives - I think overall, Cornell wrestled up to or above expectations vs. Lehigh, given the personnel available, so no real gripes from me.  LaJoie looked pretty good against Paetzel, Richard and Darmstadt dominated, Tucker - well, Tucker was Tucker. ;-P  But other then getting one quick early shot for a takedown, Farro really had nothing, and Chaz was close to scoring a number of times without hitting paydirt.  AndFarro has wrestled Chas tough before, so I  don't think anyone was expecting a high scoring match at 133.

Spladle, if you are really looking for grumbling and sour grapes - I think you should go back to the Lehigh forum, always plenty there!

Edited by red blades

two things here Red Blades

1) You are quoting two fans who look at things completely differently.....so why the surprise or amusement? We supposed to be clones??

2) Grumbling and Sour Grapes? What? I like Weiler, and he is our best option, just saying what his track record is... and I also said "not saying Loew isn't going to be good"....all you have to do is go on twitter and see the Flo guys complaining how Weiler is one of the toughest guys to rank because of his track record of big wins and baffling losses.......

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

Fair enough.  FWIW,  Darmstadt's injury didn't come from the bleachers, but I hear what your saying.

Where did his injury come from if not the off mat incident? He only wrestled for a very short time after that and stopped while holding his ribs in obvious pain.

9 minutes ago, DanGerMan said:

Where did his injury come from if not the off mat incident? He only wrestled for a very short time after that and stopped while holding his ribs in obvious pain.

It came from the initial 'throw' at the beginning of the match and he felt something a, 'pop' if you will. That something hurt enough that he couldn't hold on to the assassin and get the pin.  It was after the assassin that the bleachers came into play.  The damage was done.  The bleachers,  as I've now explained a few times had no bearing on the injury.  

4 hours ago, Mountain Hawk said:

speaking of visually distasteful.......the throat slice

i have never cared about this in any circumstance and his own coaches apparently read him the riot act about it (unless he did it again - i didn't watch the lehigh dual yet - even then i still don't care, but at least it would be somewhat relevant)

desanto shoving people as he stands up from a pin or a tech is much worse, and the purdue freshman was clearly pissed off about it. meanwhile the big ten announcers were like "boy, the purdue coaches are going to be mad about him getting angry after a loss!" as if it was their first time watching desanto.

Edited by ugarte

7 minutes ago, ugarte said:

i have never cared about this in any circumstance and his own coaches apparently read him the riot act about it (unless he did it again - i didn't watch the lehigh dual yet - even then i still don't care, but at least it would be somewhat relevant)

desanto shoving people as he stands up from a pin or a tech is much worse, and the purdue freshman was clearly pissed off about it. meanwhile the big ten announcers were like "boy, the purdue coaches are going to be mad about him getting angry after a loss!" as if it was their first time watching desanto.

Is it the same when other wrestlers do it?  No one bothers to talk much about it.

No he didn’t do it again...2 years ago, a bunch of dingbat kids played Assassins Creed (video game) Where a character would do the throat slice after an assassination and Cornell teammates nick named him the Assassin....it was totally wrong thing to do and he knows it now.

6 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Is it the same when other wrestlers do it?  No one bothers to talk much about it.

it's also bad then but desanto is really, really showy about it. never let it be said that i don't want the talented assholes* on my team - i definitely do - but let's not pretend he's not a bad winner.

* this is a purely personality based thing and not relevant to credible accusations of more serious acts

12 hours ago, ugarte said:

I don't see DeSanto doing anything wrong against Purdue. I watched the end several times and the Purdue wrestler is the only one causing trouble. DeSanto has earned his stripes in the past but I really don't see his wrongdoing here.

Edited by DanGerMan

14 hours ago, Mphillips said:

It came from the initial 'throw' at the beginning of the match and he felt something a, 'pop' if you will. That something hurt enough that he couldn't hold on to the assassin and get the pin.  It was after the assassin that the bleachers came into play.  The damage was done.  The bleachers,  as I've now explained a few times had no bearing on the injury.  

Who does Cornell have to replace Ben if he's not ready to go for Rutgers? I've known a couple guys that were out for well over a month with rib cartilage issues.

9 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

Who does Cornell have to replace Ben if he's not ready to go for Rutgers? I've known a couple guys that were out for well over a month with rib cartilage issues.

Unclear. Either Loew goes back up to 197 (where he was when Darmstadt was trying to go 184) and Jonathon Fagen or Jonah Barley step in at 184 or, if Loew stays at 184, Fagen or Barley wrestle 197 and it's a much bigger dropoff. 

1 hour ago, red blades said:

Checking up on Intermat rankings - Loew breaks in at #19, one ahead of Weiler, and one behind Tanner Harvey (AU).  EIWA has 5 in the top 20; Deprez stays unchanged at #6.

Loew breaks into Flo as well, though at #23. Tucker stays at #5, Darmstadt at #10. Womack drops a spot to #15 because Colbray dropped down to 174 and slotted in the top 10. Spey also put LaJoie "on the cusp" after a close match against Paetzell and a win over Manchio.

Edited by ugarte

I've been watching Cornell wrestling since I got to school in 2003, and have been getting into it more in the last couple of years.  I've been lurking on boards here or there, but this is my first post.  I was just wondering if anybody has heard anything about any of our Olympic redshirts coming back at some point in the second semester. 

It seems to me that we'd be better off letting all of them take the year to compete against elite talent as much as possible, then come back and have each of them be eligible for a couple more years . With last year's recruiting class and Darmstadt back (if his injury isn't too bad and he's able to stay healthy - big ifs), that would give us our best shot at unseating Penn State.  I would think that Yianni, Vito, and Max would definitely be national title contenders, and we'd be adding a ton of talent to that core group over the next couple of years.  

You all know infinitely more about wrestling than I do, so just wanted to see what everybody thinks.  

let me try this again. What's up with Yapoujian. He has been ranked in the top 20 by Wrestlestat since almost the beginning of the year. He still is in the listing that includes all wrestlers ( injured, redshirts, etc.). But, he has been removed from the starting line-up with no explanation that I can see. So, anybody got a clue? Is he injured? Did he flunk out...transfer?  Or, is he being soundly beaten in wrestle-offs by Santoro?

6 hours ago, LGR2007 said:

You all know infinitely more about wrestling than I do, so just wanted to see what everybody thinks.  

Welcome. Almost everybody thinks / hopes that they are going to take the full year off and  the team will have a two year run with everyone on ORS plus Darmstadt and the incoming classes. 

2 hours ago, tjhart said:

let me try this again. What's up with Yapoujian. He has been ranked in the top 20 by Wrestlestat since almost the beginning of the year. He still is in the listing that includes all wrestlers ( injured, redshirts, etc.). But, he has been removed from the starting line-up with no explanation that I can see. So, anybody got a clue? Is he injured? Did he flunk out...transfer?  Or, is he being soundly beaten in wrestle-offs by Santoro?

He's injured.

Edited by RedFan

2 hours ago, tjhart said:

He is injured. Saw him at the dual in a knee immobilizer. 

6 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

A lot of people want to complain about FLWC . I dont want to be like those people but does anyone else agree that the tranfer portal seriously puts IVY schools at a disadvantage.

in what way? scholarships? grad transfer years? if so, it's no different than the disadvantages ivies have in freshman recruiting. and even if it does, it's a disadvantage the league created itself. you can't impose additional restrictions on yourself and then complain that other schools have an unfair advantage. as fans, anyone can argue anything but any complaints should be directed to the league, not the ncaa (on this issue; the ncaa mostly sucks). making it easier to transfer is good.