scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

41 minutes ago, ugarte said:

in what way? scholarships? grad transfer years? if so, it's no different than the disadvantages ivies have in freshman recruiting. and even if it does, it's a disadvantage the league created itself. you can't impose additional restrictions on yourself and then complain that other schools have an unfair advantage. as fans, anyone can argue anything but any complaints should be directed to the league, not the ncaa (on this issue; the ncaa mostly sucks). making it easier to transfer is good. 

I'm not complaining about anything my thought process is that most transfers from other schools aren't transferring to a IVY school. so when a hole in a lineup opens up because of injury the PSU and Iowa of the world can fill them with the portal much easier because of grade standards. Cornell needs to stat healthy the next 2 years because the others can plug and play much easier is what I was really getting at.

Edited by Sublime607

The % of people complaining about the FLWC is super low, it's just that the loudest people (and the people who need to have the last word on every argument) get heard the most unfortunately around here. 

Welcome LGR2007!  The key about the Cornell redshirts is that they aren't losing a bunch of senior talent when they get back on the mats.  I think it's a good move, I also think that Vito and Dean are not title contenders this year anyway.   They aren't beating Spencer/Zahid in any universe, so give them a year to improve. 

24 minutes ago, Gantry said:

The % of people complaining about the FLWC is super low, it's just that the loudest people (and the people who need to have the last word on every argument) get heard the most unfortunately around here. 

Welcome LGR2007!  The key about the Cornell redshirts is that they aren't losing a bunch of senior talent when they get back on the mats.  I think it's a good move, I also think that Vito and Dean are not title contenders this year anyway.   They aren't beating Spencer/Zahid in any universe, so give them a year to improve. 

I agree Dean would not beat Zahid, but he would have a  good shot  at the finals. Do you think  he would be a title favorite next year or any year?  Just asking.

2 hours ago, Mountain Hawk said:

Cornell guys walking around like FLWC is a disadvantage and that there's actually a wrestling superstar out there they wouldn't admit due to some academic standard.

Thanks for the laughs!

Never said that FLWC is a disadvantage actually its the opposite. But I disagree with the academic statement that also applies to Lehigh your not accepting basket weavers either. Not saying all transfers cant get in but it's a extra hurtle to jump.

Ps. I'm 1 of the few Cornell fans that has a soft spot for Lehigh had a few known acquaintances wrestle for them.

Edited by Sublime607

Well, just-posted match notes give us  the answer for 197:

125 Dom LaJoie (11-11)
133 #5 Chas Tucker (19-0)
141 Noah Baughman (15-8)
149 Hunter Richard (13-7)
157 Adam Santoro (8-10)
165 Jake Brindley (3-5) or Andrew Merola (5-6)
174 Milik Dawkins (9-7)
184 #23 Jonathan Loew (17-7)
197 Jonathon Fagen (6-4) or Jonah Barley (5-6)
HWT

Brendan Furman (13-8)

Five Cornell All-Americans, and not one of them in the lineup.  What, two starters from last year?

2 hours ago, Mountain Hawk said:

Cornell guys walking around like FLWC is a disadvantage and that there's actually a wrestling superstar out there they wouldn't admit due to some academic standard.

Thanks for the laughs!

This is a Lehigh guy mocking Cornell's academic standards?  Seriously?  Will wonders never cease?

5 minutes ago, hotspur said:

This is a Lehigh guy mocking Cornell's academic standards?  Seriously?  Will wonders never cease?

Yes it is. You're Ivy in name only in wrestling and a select couple of other sports. Smart play for the school to look the other way on a relatively small number of students to establish a perennial power on a par with the Big 10 boys, where admission standards are non-existent for the top dogs coming out of h.s. 

Actually I take it back, you're pretty much Ivy in name only in general as you're really nothing like the other seven Ivies at all.

Everyone seems to know this except you.

1 hour ago, Mountain Hawk said:

Yes it is. You're Ivy in name only in wrestling and a select couple of other sports. Smart play for the school to look the other way on a relatively small number of students to establish a perennial power on a par with the Big 10 boys, where admission standards are non-existent for the top dogs coming out of h.s. 

Actually I take it back, you're pretty much Ivy in name only in general as you're really nothing like the other seven Ivies at all.

And your bitter, probably because your significant other doesn’t respect your educational history. You sound like a name calling child. 

5 hours ago, Mountain Hawk said:

Wow, we can't fool you, Mountain Troll!

But we've got US News fooled pretty well, where were ranked 17th overall: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/cornell-university-2711

Lehigh comes in at #50?  Not  bad!

Edited by red blades

33 minutes ago, tjhart said:

You got any info on when and how....any prognosis on when he can comeback? 

No I do not. That said immobilization of the knee is usually used when there is underlying instability (ACL/PCL/other stabilizer), which makes me think it could be a while. 

1 hour ago, red blades said:

Oooo... That list puts Lafayette way ahead of Lehigh... Ouch.

Wall Street Journal 2020 College Rankings have Cornell #9 ahead of great schools like Duke, Northwestern, Dartmouth, and Columbia.

Lehigh eventually comes up at #55!

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/rankings/united-states/2020#!/page/0/length/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

3 hours ago, tjhart said:

You got any info on when and how....any prognosis on when he can comeback? 

This is just a guess, no inside info - but I would think that if he's not currently on the roster, he may be taking a medical leave of absence second term.

Edited by red blades

15 hours ago, Gantry said:

I think it's a good move, I also think that Vito and Dean are not title contenders this year anyway.   They aren't beating Spencer/Zahid in any universe, so give them a year to improve. 

I think it's a good move, too, but you might ask Myles Martin how that "universe" business works.

9 hours ago, red blades said:

This is just a guess, no inside info - but I would think that if he's not currently on the roster, he may be taking a medical leave of absence second term.

That's what is confusing. There is no information regarding an injury on the Cornell website, he is still listed on the roster and wrestlstat does not list him a s injured --just as a non-starter.

18 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

Never said that FLWC is a disadvantage actually its the opposite. But I disagree with the academic statement that also applies to Lehigh your not accepting basket weavers either. Not saying all transfers cant get in but it's a extra hurtle to jump.

Ps. I'm 1 of the few Cornell fans that has a soft spot for Lehigh had a few known acquaintances wrestle for them.

Hurtle?  Kind of makes the case that Koll could get a superstar wrestling box of rocks admitted to CU.