scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

3 hours ago, D3 for LU said:

He needs to train... until then, no one touch MH until then.

Agree? ;-P

D3

You're right D3 - not fair ganging up on MH - too easy! ;-P

(But ya know, Daniel-San never did try to crash Cobra Kai and throw poop on the  walls.)

Edited by red blades

11 hours ago, ugarte said:

very nice. huge improvement at 165 or as a replacement for Womack at 174.

He's already back on Cornell's roster.  Didn't they just remove the four ORSs about a week ago?

I remember hearing that he struggled to make 165 a year ago, but he'd only need to do it for a couple of months this time.

1 hour ago, jdalu75 said:

I see that Sal Jones has been added to Cornell's roster as well, at 141; he's a 3-semester member of the Finger Lakes contingent.

• Member, National Honor Society
• Four year member of the honor roll

Another of those bags of rocks Koll apparently slides past the admissions committee.

Here are the matchups per the Rutgers site:

Projected Matchups:
125: 16/15/14 Nicolas Aguilar (16-4) OR Malcolm Robinson (4-4) vs. Dominic LaJoie (11-11)
133: 9/11/9 Sammy Alvarez (17-4) vs. 4/5/5 Chas Tucker (19-0)
141: JoJo Aragona (9-4) OR Zach Firestone (5-6) vs. Noah Baughman (15-8)
149: Gerard Angelo (11-7) OR Nick Santos (6-1) vs. Hunter Richard (13-7)
157: Michael Van Brill (14-9) vs. Adam Santoro (8-10)
165: Brett Donner (13-9) vs. Jake Brindley (3-5)
174: NR/NR/25 Joseph Grello (5-4) OR Willie Scott (6-4) vs. Malik Dawkins (9-7)
184: NR/25/27 Billy Janzer (13-4) vs. 19/23/23 Jonathan Loew (17-7)
197: 18/18/21 Jordan Pagano (15-5) OR Mathew Correnti (10-4) vs. Jonathan Fagen (6-4)
HWT: Alex Esposito (14-9) vs. Brendan Furman (13-8)

With Darmstadt and Womack both out, Wrestlestat has this as a blowout for Rutgers; I think it could be close, but will be tough for Cornell to get a win at the RAC.  They need wins at 133, 141, 149, 184, and 285, and then an upset somewhere along the line.  I'm thinking Rutgers has higher bonus potential, so an outright 6 match advantage will be a must for Cornell to win it.

133 will be the featured match of the night, Alvarez and Tucker both top 10.

Shoud be a barn burner, as Stove Pipe used to say!

Edited by red blades

I had ringside seats from two Rutgers fans. Tucher was Tucker. Never in trouble, not much scoring. Noah made an incredible comeback. Match of the night. Richards looked real strong. Lowe was not himself. Reaching on his shots. Never in it. Not the same guy I watched against Lehigh. Milik really hung in there against a very tough wrestler to not get pinned and stayed strong until the last of the match. Surprised we made such a strong showing with our B (mostly) team.

6 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Noah Baughnan’s match against Jojo Aragona stands out and is worth the price of admission. What a display of heart. He was not going to be denied and willed his way to a win. 

The great part of that match was not the fact that Noah got the TD to tie with about :13 left; it was that when his opponent attempted to roll to escape for the win, Noah didn't just roll with him.  Rather, he caught him mid-roll for the near fall.  Risky (ask Santoro!) but it got him the potential dual-winning two points.

Here's the match results:

125: #15 Nicolas Aguilar (RUT) dec. Dom LaJoie (COR), 10-5; Rutgers leads, 3-0
133: #5 Chas Tucker (COR) dec. #11 Sammy Alvarez (RUT), 3-2; Tied, 3-3
141: Noah Baughman (COR) dec. JoJo Aragona (RUT), 6-4; Cornell leads, 6-3
149: Hunter Richard (COR) over Gerard Angelo (RUT), Fall (5:54); Cornell leads, 12-3
157: Adam Santoro (COR) dec. Michael VanBrill (RUT), 9-4; Cornell leads, 15-3
165: Jake Brindley (COR) dec. Brett Donner (RUT), 5-3; Cornell leads, 18-3
174: Joe Grello (RUT) dec. Milik Dawkins (COR), 7-2; Cornell leads, 18-6
184: #25 Billy Janzer (RUT) dec. #23 Jonathan Loew (COR), 10-4; Cornell leads, 18-9
197: #18 Jordan Pagano (RUT) major dec. Jonathon Fagen (COR), 12-0; Cornell leads, 18-13
285: Alex Esposito (RUT) dec. Brendan Furman (COR), 6-3; Cornell wins, 18-16

Pretty good write-up on the Cornell site: https://cornellbigred.com/news/2020/1/17/big-red-wrestling-upends-22-rutgers-on-the-road.aspx

11 hours ago, ugarte said:

Rutgers announcers *hated* the exposure call in the Tucker - Alvarez match but it looked right to me. Great wins from Baughman, Santoro, Brindley (!) and especially Richard. 

I went ahead and saw this dual on replay.

Concerning the Tucker/Alvarez match, I new right off the bat, that Tucker got the 2 for TD because of him putting (or, rather, Alvarez putting himself) in danger.

It " seemed" that the announcers were ignorant of that ruling, but further on, they "owned up" to that rule, but continued to "contest" it. Clearly showing bias.

Apparently, the B1G have their own announcers?

Sad.

In the past, RU had some surprisingly knowledgeable announcers... some that were former wrestlers for Rutgers. Not nearly as biased as the two last night.

D3

12 hours ago, ugarte said:

Rutgers announcers *hated* the exposure call in the Tucker - Alvarez match but it looked right to me. Great wins from Baughman, Santoro, Brindley (!) and especially Richard. 

It felt like they didn't understand the rule on Tucker's points. They sounded like the homers that they proved to be throughout the dual.

24 minutes ago, DanGerMan said:

It felt like they didn't understand the rule on Tucker's points. They sounded like the homers that they proved to be throughout the dual.

I thought they did a pretty good job announcing, especially compared to that embarrassment that was the Cornell announcer last weekend.  They gave credit to the Cornell
guys when they deserved it.  There was also an instance where they corrected themselves on a near fall replay.

Funny stuff going on in the International forum wrt Kyle Dake.  After three low-scoring wins, people were talking about how gassed he was down at 74kg, and how the 79kg version of him along with the top guys at 74kg would kill him, he wrestled the World Bronze medalist in the final.

11-0 destruction in :35.

Edited by klehner

4 hours ago, D3 for LU said:

I went ahead and saw this dual on replay.

Concerning the Tucker/Alvarez match, I new right off the bat, that Tucker got the 2 for TD because of him putting (or, rather, Alvarez putting himself) in danger.

It " seemed" that the announcers were ignorant of that ruling, but further on, they "owned up" to that rule, but continued to "contest" it. Clearly showing bias.

Apparently, the B1G have their own announcers?

Sad.

In the past, RU had some surprisingly knowledgeable announcers... some that were former wrestlers for Rutgers. Not nearly as biased as the two last night.

D3

They'd have been RU announcers. The Big10+ has school announcers. BTN uses Gibbons and Johnson. BTN today had JD Bergman and Shane Sparks because Gibbons and a very excited Tim Johnson are doing Iowa - Nebby tonite. 

Edited by TBar1977

2 hours ago, klehner said:

Funny stuff going on in the International forum wrt Kyle Dake.  After three low-scoring wins, people were talking about how gassed he was down at 74kg, and how the 79kg version of him along with the top guys at 74kg would kill him, he wrestled the World Bronze medalist in the final.

11-0 destruction in :35.

and it wasn't as close as the score

It also wasn’t 3 low scoring wins before the finals. One of them was a tech. 

Anyway, from the last interview, Dake is still adjusting to the cut since the last time he made 163 with 2-hour weigh-ins was before senior year in college. You could hear the dreaded cotton mouth from the Friday interview prior to weigh-ins. 

Getting back to folkstyle - Cornell vs. Va. Tech. at 1:00 this afternoon:

125 Dom LaJoie (11-11)vs. #13 Joey Prata (13-6)

133 #5 Chas Tucker (19-0) vs. #14 Collin Gerardi (9-5)

141 Noah Baughman (15-8) vs. Mitch Moore (10-6)

149 Hunter Richard (13-7) vs. #22 Bryce Andonian (12-2)

157 Adam Santoro (8-10) vs. #13 B.C. LaPrade (8-3)

165 Jake Brindley (3-5) or Andrew Merola (5-6) vs. #3 David McFadden (14-2)

174 Milik Dawkins (9-7) vs. Cody Hughes (8-6)

184 #23 Jonathan Loew (17-7) vs. #2 Hunter Bolen (16-1)

197 Jonathon Fagen (6-4) or Jonah Barley (5-6) vs. Stanley Smeltzer (8-10)

HWT Brendan Furman (13-8) vs. #17 John Borst (13-5)

Cornell favored at 133, toss-ups at 141, 174, and 197 - and the rest leaning toward Va Tech.

9 minutes ago, red blades said:

Getting back to folkstyle - Cornell vs. Va. Tech. at 1:00 this afternoon:

125 Dom LaJoie (11-11)vs. #13 Joey Prata (13-6)

133 #5 Chas Tucker (19-0) vs. #14 Collin Gerardi (9-5)

141 Noah Baughman (15-8) vs. Mitch Moore (10-6)

149 Hunter Richard (13-7) vs. #22 Bryce Andonian (12-2)

157 Adam Santoro (8-10) vs. #13 B.C. LaPrade (8-3)

165 Jake Brindley (3-5) or Andrew Merola (5-6) vs. #3 David McFadden (14-2)

174 Milik Dawkins (9-7) vs. Cody Hughes (8-6)

184 #23 Jonathan Loew (17-7) vs. #2 Hunter Bolen (16-1)

197 Jonathon Fagen (6-4) or Jonah Barley (5-6) vs. Stanley Smeltzer (8-10)

HWT Brendan Furman (13-8) vs. #17 John Borst (13-5)

Cornell favored at 133, toss-ups at 141, 174, and 197 - and the rest leaning toward Va Tech.

I’ll take Gerardi over Tucker. Just got a feeling.