scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

Today, I like Richard. He has shown to be the stronger wrestler as the match gets into the 5th and 6th minute. If close, don't be surprised by an upset.

As to the Cardenas question, possible but -- barring an injury ( a regular Darmstadt occurrence) -- unlikely

41 minutes ago, tjhart said:

That was my impression too. Not sure what the rules are in NCAAs, but there might be some "minimum practices attended" thing lmiiting him from hopping right back into the fray.

No, just need to certify first before competing. And he is certified.

The minimum practices issue could be school by school.

Edited by gimpeltf

Cornell gets wins from Tucker, Richard, and Berreyesa, but the rest is all Hokies - Va. Tech wins it 23-9.  La Joie made it close at 125, and Santoro had a shot at winning 157 until giving up 6 points on a desperation TD attempt at the end of the 3rd pd.

that was as much fun as I've had watching a loss. huge comeback win for Richard (maybe his first win over a ranked opponent? need to check), close losses for LaJoie and Santoro*, Tucker scored more than once and berryessa's throw was awesome. Baughman, Brindley and Loew fighting for 7 minutes to avoid MDs was also pretty good. 

* ignore the final score; down by 2 late Santoro nearly locked up a cradle in the closing seconds but when he tried to turn LaPrade over,  LaPrade slipped out and put Santoro on his back for a late 6 points

1 hour ago, ugarte said:

that was as much fun as I've had watching a loss. huge comeback win for Richard (maybe his first win over a ranked opponent? need to check), close losses for LaJoie and Santoro*, Tucker scored more than once and berryessa's throw was awesome. Baughman, Brindley and Loew fighting for 7 minutes to avoid MDs was also pretty good. 

* ignore the final score; down by 2 late Santoro nearly locked up a cradle in the closing seconds but when he tried to turn LaPrade over,  LaPrade slipped out and put Santoro on his back for a late 6 points

So close so often. JaJoie completes the fireman's he had so deep, Santoro holds on to the cradle, Berryessa gets the pin on the first throw....

36 minutes ago, Softmats said:

So close so often. JaJoie completes the fireman's he had so deep, Santoro holds on to the cradle, Berryessa gets the pin on the first throw....

I though Berreyesa had him stuck!!

And I'm kinda liking the Greco influence on the rest of the middle weights.

Edited by red blades

16 hours ago, witwhiz said:

I wonder how Tucker, Womack, Baughman, Dawkins and the other seniors are enjoying their team being the sacrificial lamb in their final year.

Frankly, I doubt very much they fell that way. And with Berreyesa, Yapoujian, Womack, and Darmstadt hopefully all back; Lajoie, Richards, and Baughman all improving; and Tucker as anchor this team might do better than you expect. 

Edited by tjhart
omission

44 minutes ago, witwhiz said:

I wonder how Tucker, Womack, Baughman, Dawkins and the other seniors are enjoying their team being the sacrificial lamb in their final year.

Dawkins and Baughman are probably grateful for the opportunity

55 minutes ago, red blades said:

And I expect all of the guys on the team are pretty excited to see 4 of their own competing for a spot at the next level.  

Three, I think.  And one of the three is out of his league.

Edited by witwhiz

15 minutes ago, witwhiz said:

Three, I think.  And one of the three is out of his league.

As for their excitement, I don't know what's in their head and neither do you. 

Four.  Berrreyesa is still going to try for the national team.  You thought wrong.

26 minutes ago, witwhiz said:

In that case four.  And two are out of their league.

Who should be allowed to take ORS?  I never get an answer to that from those like you who deign to know what should be the qualifications.

I guess being a current UWW Junior or U23 World team member doesn't cut it.

5 minutes ago, klehner said:

Who should be allowed to take ORS?  I never get an answer to that from those like you who deign to know what should be the qualifications.

I guess being a current UWW Junior or U23 World team member doesn't cut it.

Different issue entirely, upon which I haven't opined.  Merely suggested that some of the seniors may not be happy with their team in their final year having been sacrificed for "the future".  Admit that Ugarte has a point, though, that a couple might be pleased that the situation has allowed them entry into the lineup.

BTW, Tucker looks like he's got a good chance to run the table and finish the regular season - and indeed through the EIWA tournament - undefeated.  Toughest match left on his schedule looks like DJ Fehlman from LHU ( not a gimmee by any means ), and then maybe Farro at EIWA's.

43 minutes ago, red blades said:

BTW, Tucker looks like he's got a good chance to run the table and finish the regular season - and indeed through the EIWA tournament - undefeated.  Toughest match left on his schedule looks like DJ Fehlman from LHU ( not a gimmee by any means ), and then maybe Farro at EIWA's.

The same DJ Fehlman who took him to OT at the dual meet, and beat him in the first round at NCAAs last year?

(just looked at wrestlestats, and Tucker is 36-2 in his last 38 matches.  Not too shabby)

22 minutes ago, klehner said:

The same DJ Fehlman who took him to OT at the dual meet, and beat him in the first round at NCAAs last year?

(just looked at wrestlestats, and Tucker is 36-2 in his last 38 matches.  Not too shabby)

Fehlman not having nearly as good a year as last season but he gave Tucker fits in both matches, particularly from top. I said Tucker would win any rematch and I don't remember who held onto it to gloat after they met at NCAAs.

1 hour ago, klehner said:

Yes, the very same.  I would be less confident about Tucker's chances, but it seems to me his mat wrestling, especially from bottom, is much improved this year.  That, and as Ugarte notes, Fehlman doesn't appear to be having as strong a season as last year.  IIRC, he's very tall for the weight, perhaps struggling with weight?  If so, short time after weigh-ins may add an edge for Tucker.  We'll see in just about a month - 2/22, at Lock Haven!