scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

38 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

Cornell has added a very talented wrestler to next year's recruiting class.  This kid has only scratched the surface:

https://www.shaker.org/protected/ArticleView.aspx?iid=6YYAPU2&dasi=2YB&fbclid=IwAR2S0spsNWxOuulKZa1laJokrose5cI2rTXpfN388Iqh9uWuMWW2UJ5-qwg

"An honors and AP student " Yet another bag of rocks who  got in only because Koll pulled some strings, right?

2 hours ago, klehner said:

"An honors and AP student " Yet another bag of rocks who  got in only because Koll pulled some strings, right?

I talked to Koll once about recruiting at NYS Intercollegiates when I accompanied Army on the trip.  I knew that there was a rule allowing academic scholarships so long as the prospect/applicant was qualified to receive one.  The stipulation is that for the FIRST YEAR, the schollie must count towards the "9.9" and if the student-athlete maintains a 3.0, it can get taken off the athletic quota and the athlete would be there for academic scholarship.  He kinda smirked and said, "You're on the right track.  A lot of my team is made up of people who qualify for grant in aid and other means."  

It really isn't a secret.  That is what the DIII school I went to before West Point did.  A New England Champ was awarded the "Engineering" scholarship (full scholarship) but then became academically ineligible and had to switch majors.  That school had specific $$ of total scholarships earmarked for specific athletic teams.  

I will never complain about Cornell, Princeton, etc and recruiting practices.  Army can simultaneously field a DI, DI, and DIII team with their roster.     

4 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

I talked to Koll once about recruiting at NYS Intercollegiates when I accompanied Army on the trip.  I knew that there was a rule allowing academic scholarships so long as the prospect/applicant was qualified to receive one.  The stipulation is that for the FIRST YEAR, the schollie must count towards the "9.9" and if the student-athlete maintains a 3.0, it can get taken off the athletic quota and the athlete would be there for academic scholarship.  He kinda smirked and said, "You're on the right track.  A lot of my team is made up of people who qualify for grant in aid and other means."  

It really isn't a secret.  That is what the DIII school I went to before West Point did.  A New England Champ was awarded the "Engineering" scholarship (full scholarship) but then became academically ineligible and had to switch majors.  That school had specific $$ of total scholarships earmarked for specific athletic teams.  

I will never complain about Cornell, Princeton, etc and recruiting practices.  Army can simultaneously field a DI, DI, and DIII team with their roster.     

What is this "9.9" scholarship thing, given that the Ivy League doesn't allow athletic scholarships?  Maybe Koll was kinda smirking because he knows there is no 9.9 thing at Cornell, and you don't?

From https://ivyleague.com/sports/2017/7/28/information-psa-index.aspx (emphasis theirs):  

Ivy League schools provide financial aid to students, including athletes, only on the basis of financial need as determined by each institution’s Financial Aid Office. There are no academic or athletic scholarships in the Ivy League.

I'm sure you meant that "grant in aid" references the above financial need aid.  That could be any combination of grant, loan, and job, up to the amount of financial need in question.

3 hours ago, klehner said:

Industrial and labor relations. Cornell has one of the best in the country for that (and I’m a Lehigh guy). Good for him. We need more people with that kind of an attitude - he’ll have the opportunity to change peoples lives. 

4 hours ago, RedFan said:

Vito is wrestling in Russia tomorrow.  

i don't know if this will stream in the US but if it does, it apparently starts at 11pm eastern

Edited by ugarte

3 minutes ago, ugarte said:

i don't know if this will stream in the US but if it does, it apparently starts at 11pm eastern

So says Flo:  "The YouTube streams will be embedded live and for free on Flo. "  No idea if that means on their Twitter feed, or Facebook page, or what.  Couldn't
find any links to the event on their web page.

20 hours ago, klehner said:

Greg Diakomihalis is 6-0 so far this year, with six pins (all in the first 1:30 or so).  Now ranked #1 by Flo.

I'm not seeing that. Perhaps we have different versions (you pay more?) But for me the FLO HS rankings were last updated 1/15 and GD was not yet included. Intermat lists him as one, but if you have fresher Flo data love to see it.

1 hour ago, tjhart said:

I'm not seeing that. Perhaps we have different versions (you pay more?) But for me the FLO HS rankings were last updated 1/15 and GD was not yet included. Intermat lists him as one, but if you have fresher Flo data love to see it.

I stand corrected.

A glimmer of hope for the near future.  Projected lineup in today's match notes:

125 Dom LaJoie (11-13)
133 #5 Chas Tucker (21-0)
141 Noah Baughman (16-9)
149 Hunter Richard (15-7)
157 Adam Santoro (9-11)
165 Jake Brindley (4-6) or Andrew Merola (5-6)
174 Andrew Berreyesa (1-0) or Milik Dawkins (9-8)
184 Jonathan Loew (17-9) or Jonah Barley (5-6)
197 Jonathon Fagen (6-6) or #11 Ben Darmstadt (19-5)
HWT Brendan Furman (13-10)

Arujau lost in the first round of the Yariguin to Sabanov. He was winning late, took a shot and caught a leg but the Russian got a chest wrap, flipped him and then laced for 6 more. He scored on a step out and a head pinch at the end but it wasn't enough and he lost 12-10 to a guy he could probably beat most days. Sabanov then lost in the next round to Tuskaev, eliminating Vito from repechage (if there is repechage). Tuskaev made it to the finals after a pair of 3-2 wins. 

Vito looked good. Things could have gone a lot better, though.

Edited by ugarte

A glimmer of hope for the near future.  Projected lineup in today's match notes:

Great to see. I'd love an update from Koll, even if he isn't specific about the injuries and just gave a general timetable. I don't think he's sent anything since pre-South Beach, right?

Edited by ugarte

125 Dom LaJoie (11-13)
133 #5 Chas Tucker (21-0)
141 Noah Baughman (16-9)
149 Hunter Richard (15-7)
157 Adam Santoro (9-11)
165 Jake Brindley (4-6) or Andrew Merola (5-6)
174 Andrew Berreyesa (1-0) or Milik Dawkins (9-8)
184 Jonathan Loew (17-9) or Jonah Barley (5-6)
HWT Brendan Furman (13-10)

Well that looks encouraging, but I wonder why the question at 184.

Perhaps something is bothering Loew. He has not looked like his former self recently.

11 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Given that they pulled Berreyesa's shirt and he wrestled at 174, maybe Womack is descending to 165? 

He's been injured and I took it as a bad sign for Womack generally that they pulled Berreyesa's shirt. On the other hand, if Womack is going back to 165 it would also explain the move as having both in the lineup would be a real step towards extending the Ivy streak against Princeton. It has to be a tough suckdown though - three years older than the last time he had to do it.

Here's the matchups with Hah-vahd, per the Cornell Athletics site:

Dom LaJoie (11-13)

#15 Nolan Hellickson (11-8) or Beau Bayless (12-9)

#5 Chas Tucker (21-0)

Michael Jaffe (12-11)

Noah Baughman (16-9)

Lukus Stricker (13-12)

Hunter Richard (15-7)

Aaron Kruk (4-10)

Adam Santoro (9-11)

Hunter Ladnier (13-6)

Jake Brindley (4-6) or Andrew Merola (5-6)

#17 Phil Conigliaro (19-6)

Andrew Berreyesa (1-0) or Milik Dawkins (9-8)

Pierce Bausano (0-8)

Jonathan Loew (17-9) or Jonah Barley (5-6)

Michael Doggett (7-15)

Jonathon Fagen (6-6) or #11 Ben Darmstadt (19-5)

Evan Callahan (0-4)

HWT

Brendan Furman (13-10)

#9 Yaraslau Slavikauski (19-7)

Harvard has a couple of pretty good freshmen in Phil Conigliaro at 165, and Yaraslau Slavikauski (That's even harder to say than Diakamihalis) at 285.  Hellickson at 125 and Ladner at 157 are pretty solid veterans.  Certainly will be some competative individual matches, and I can see Harvard possibly getting 4 wins here.