scribe

Cornell Big Red Wrestling

On 1/15/2020 at 8:15 PM, red blades said:
On 1/23/2020 at 2:12 PM, red blades said:

Here's the matchups with Hah-vahd, per the Cornell Athletics site:

Dom LaJoie (11-13)

#15 Nolan Hellickson (11-8) or Beau Bayless (12-9)

#5 Chas Tucker (21-0)

Michael Jaffe (12-11)

Noah Baughman (16-9)

Lukus Stricker (13-12)

Hunter Richard (15-7)

Aaron Kruk (4-10)

Adam Santoro (9-11)

Hunter Ladnier (13-6)

Jake Brindley (4-6) or Andrew Merola (5-6)

#17 Phil Conigliaro (19-6)

Andrew Berreyesa (1-0) or Milik Dawkins (9-8)

Pierce Bausano (0-8)

Jonathan Loew (17-9) or Jonah Barley (5-6)

Michael Doggett (7-15)

Jonathon Fagen (6-6) or #11 Ben Darmstadt (19-5)

Evan Callahan (0-4)

HWT

Brendan Furman (13-10)

#9 Yaraslau Slavikauski (19-7)

Harvard has a couple of pretty good freshmen in Phil Conigliaro at 165, and Yaraslau Slavikauski (That's even harder to say than Diakamihalis) at 285.  Hellickson at 125 and Ladner at 157 are pretty solid veterans.  Certainly will be some competative individual matches, and I can see Harvard possibly getting 4 wins here.

Should be fun to watch—bump to keep this in the front page. 

Yaraslau Slavikauski (That's even harder to say than Diakamihalis) 

No, no it isn't.  I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Diakamihalis after three years.  I have Yaraslau's name down pat already -- I think.

On 1/23/2020 at 1:00 PM, Gantry said:

Given that they pulled Berreyesa's shirt and he wrestled at 174, maybe Womack is descending to 165? 

Perhaps Berreyesa's tilt as 174 was his opening foray. Is it possible that he is cutting to '65? 

Frankly, while he may get gassed pulling that much weight, if he does acclimate, I think it would do well for this year and next --creating an opening for Foca at 74. 

Here's the matchups with Hah-vahd, per the Cornell Athletics site:

Dom LaJoie (11-13)

#15 Nolan Hellickson (11-8) or Beau Bayless (12-9)

#5 Chas Tucker (21-0)

Michael Jaffe (12-11)

Noah Baughman (16-9)

Lukus Stricker (13-12)

Hunter Richard (15-7)

Aaron Kruk (4-10)

Adam Santoro (9-11)

Hunter Ladnier (13-6)

Jake Brindley (4-6) or Andrew Merola (5-6)

#17 Phil Conigliaro (19-6)

Andrew Berreyesa (1-0) or Milik Dawkins (9-8)

Pierce Bausano (0-8)

Jonathan Loew (17-9) or Jonah Barley (5-6)

Michael Doggett (7-15)

Jonathon Fagen (6-6) or #11 Ben Darmstadt (19-5)

Evan Callahan (0-4)

HWT

Brendan Furman (13-10)

#9 Yaraslau Slavikauski (19-7)

Harvard has a couple of pretty good freshmen in Phil Conigliaro at 165, and Yaraslau Slavikauski (That's even harder to say than Diakamihalis) at 285.  Hellickson at 125 and Ladner at 157 are pretty solid veterans.  Certainly will be some competative individual matches, and I can see Harvard possibly getting 4 wins here.

Harvard also has two guys who are winless. This is surprising, no?

Tucker 12-5 over Jaffe.

Baughman 8-4 over Stricker.

Richard 12-4 over Kruk.

Laidner puts Harvard on the board 5-3 SV over Santoro.

Conigliaro 6-3 over Jake Brindley.

Berreyesa WBF.

J. Loew WBF.

Darmstadt WFF.

Slavikauski over Furman, 9-3.

32-9 final.

Edited by red blades

56 minutes ago, red blades said:

Tucker 12-5 over Jaffe.

Baughman 8-4 over Stricker.

Richard 12-4 over Kruk.

Laidner puts Harvard on the board 5-3 SV over Santoro.

Conigliaro 6-3 over Jake Brindley.

Berreyesa WBF.

J. Loew WBF.

Darmstadt WFF.

I blinked. Did Darmstadt take the win?

1 hour ago, red blades said:

Forfeit.

Someone had to walk to the center of the mat and get his hand raised.  Was it Darmstadt?  I saw him shaking hands in the lineup at the end, so I assume it was him and he
was ready to wrestle.

I did see Yianni in the stands, so at least he's alive.

6 hours ago, klehner said:

Someone had to walk to the center of the mat and get his hand raised.  Was it Darmstadt?  I saw him shaking hands in the lineup at the end, so I assume it was him and he
was ready to wrestle.

unclear whether he was ready or just taking a forfeit for the match credit since we sent out Fagen at 197 in the nightcap against Brown to get majored. 

That was the only loss against Brown, though, as we won 36-4. Majors from Baughman, Santoro and Berreyesa, wins for LaJoie, Tucker, Richard and Brindley, a forfeit for Loew and Furman closed the dual with a 43 second pin from a cement job. 

Edited by ugarte

11 hours ago, ugarte said:

unclear whether he was ready or just taking a forfeit for the match credit since we sent out Fagen at 197 in the nightcap against Brown to get majored. 

I didn't actually see him get his hand raised, but I saw him slap hands with Gabe Dean as he walked off.  And he's listed as the winner in the recap.

Glass half full/half empty?  It's a good sign that they put him out there to take an automatic win, but he may not yet be 100%, and so he didn't go out for Brown.  Two more weeks until Penn/Princeton.  Maybe he'll be ready then?

2 hours ago, red blades said:

I didn't actually see him get his hand raised, but I saw him slap hands with Gabe Dean as he walked off.  And he's listed as the winner in the recap.

Glass half full/half empty?  It's a good sign that they put him out there to take an automatic win, but he may not yet be 100%, and so he didn't go out for Brown.  Two more weeks until Penn/Princeton.  Maybe he'll be ready then?

the camera followed Loew after his pin and lingered on the high fives and all of a sudden Darmstadt came on screen to high five Dean as they updated the score with the forfeit. I was saying the same thing as you about what taking a forfeit probably means. hoping he's ready for Penn/Princeton because we definitely need him; Brucki will probably get at least 5 against Fagen.

Edited by ugarte

4 minutes ago, tjhart said:

Any word on Yap's injury ? Hasn't taken the mat since Dec 6. Is he done for the year? If so can had get a Med redshirt?

koll hasn't sent anything out since the south beach preview

On 1/26/2020 at 12:19 PM, ugarte said:

Darmstadt came on screen to high five Dean as they updated the score with the forfeit. I was saying the same thing as you about what taking a forfeit probably means. 

Last Saturday was the first day of the 30-day window in which a wrestler needs at least one bout in order to be eligible for a CP ranking that would go towards earning a pre-allocated spot at NCAAs.  Forfeits count.  Darmstadt has the eight bouts at 197 needed for a winning percentage (he's 7-1) and will certainly have a solid CP ranking.  If he doesn't wrestle until EIWAs he's still earned a spot for his conference.

Just a thought.

Edited by jdalu75

The following are entered in tomorrow's Edinboro Open (Berreyesa presumably to get enough matches for RPI or whatever):

Andrew Berreyesa
Andrew Berreyesa
Cornell
Cornell

Andrew Merola
Andrew Merola
Cornell
Cornell

Michael Russo
Michael Russo
Cornell
Cornell

John Stawinski
John Stawinski
Cornell
Cornell

Michael Venosa
Michael Venosa
Cornell
Cornell

2 hours ago, klehner said:

The following are entered in tomorrow's Edinboro Open (Berreyesa presumably to get enough matches for RPI or whatever):

Andrew Berreyesa
Andrew Berreyesa
Cornell
Cornell

Andrew Merola
Andrew Merola
Cornell
Cornell

Michael Russo
Michael Russo
Cornell
Cornell

John Stawinski
John Stawinski
Cornell
Cornell

Michael Venosa
Michael Venosa
Cornell
Cornell

thanks - where do you see this? i assume track but i can't find the event.

1 hour ago, ugarte said:

thanks - where do you see this? i assume track but i can't find the event.

Got the skinny from someone on BWI:

Go to Track click OPC then go to NCAA then click on teams go to Edinboro then click on schedule click Edinboro open then click pages then click wrestlers.Berreyesa wrestled 174 recently so I would imagine 174.Weights aren't listed

1 hour ago, klehner said:

Go to Track click OPC then go to NCAA then click on teams go to Edinboro then click on schedule click Edinboro open then click pages then click wrestlers.Berreyesa wrestled 174 recently so I would imagine 174.Weights aren't listed

Thanks.  We need to write that down (oh, you just did!).  I went to Track OPC an hour ago and did most of that, but made my mistake by looking at the teams that I thought would have entrants.  It never occurred to me to look under Edinboro for entrants to the Open.

2 hours ago, klehner said:

thanks. with wrestlers from gannon, notre dame and pitt-johnstown listed i hope he doesn't end up having to face non D-I opponents. 

6 hours ago, ugarte said:

thanks. with wrestlers from gannon, notre dame and pitt-johnstown listed i hope he doesn't end up having to face non D-I opponents. 

Well, we have some interesting things in Edinboro tomorrow, thanks to FLWC:

1. Ramirez is back to 157 where he started the season before moving to 165
  2. Foca and Berreyesa are both registered at 174.  That could be quite the match if it happens
  3. At 184, Max Dean is entered for FLWC.  Weird, or just wants some more matches?
  4. Cardenas at 197
  5. Fernandes at 285